Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 08:41 PM

195 posts, read 346,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
While they do have some impresive landmarks in Chicago we have a few of them in the LA area as well. While the Sears Tower is tall it falls somewhat short of many of the mountains in the LA area. From many parts of the city you can see Mount Bald, in LA county, at over 10,000 feet. Within the city limits you can rise to the 5,000 foot range somewhat taller than that man made structure in Chicago. Plenty of other sites to see within the city limit and not too far from the city you have an amazing amount of things to see and do. I have been in the area nearly all my life and still have not visited all the sites. Then again I live in Oxnard up the coast and it is about an hour drive for me to get to many of those places. A visit to the Garment district can only be rivaled by that "first city", New York. I also heard that we do a little bit of filming in the LA metro area. Infact it would seem that the LA area is #1 in film and has plenty of film sites to visit. Even up in Oxnard where they filmed Melrose Place and a lot of other shows and movies that you may have seen. In the LA area they even film shows that depict other areas like New York and Chicago.
I think L.A. use to be the top place for filming. Now and for a little while it seems like they are going to Canada to film movies and for certain movies they are going to Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 PM

4,337 posts, read 5,081,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
In my opinion. It would be good to have the SFV to secede from the city of L.A. The city would save a lot of money on resources cutting off the San Fernando Valley. And then L.A could focus on Central and the neglected South LA and revitalize those areas.
Maybe the West (of 170) and NE Valley, keep the rest. Studio City is actually pretty cool.

Add Burbank south of I-5, Glendale south of the Verdugo mountains. And the following...

Dump the following in the Basin (if you truly want LA to focus more with it's urban soul.

Pacific Palisades
Brentwood
Bel-Air
Brentwood

You then add the following;

Culver City
Baldwin Hills, View Park Windsor Hills
El Segundo
Inglewood
Hawthorne
Gardena
Huntington Park
South Gate
Lynwood
Bell
Commerce
E. LA
Monterey Park
Bell Gardens
West Hollywood
Alhambra
S. Pasadena
Maywood
Marina Del Rey

I think LA would be almost 4 million people if you did the above..

Old 11-09-2013, 02:45 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,941,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54h4j645jj35 View Post
If you are talking about theatre L.A. aint the place to be. For sitcoms or certain tv shows L.A. might be the place to be. I had couple of friends who are writers and they are from or live in NYC.
L.A does have the weather and a few other things but I just think theres just a way bit more people from all over that go to NYC.
You would say NYC is more of the place for artists than LA? I could understand theater but also fashion, art, writing and even film? Architecture?

Old 11-09-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You would say NYC is more of the place for artists than LA? I could understand theater but also fashion, art, writing and even film? Architecture?
Definetely fashion. I think NYC got a little more style. I was saying writing because I knew a few writers who live in NYC. Art is like toss up you can go either. If your talking about film as in movies L.A. probably would be the place to be. I am not sure about architecture.

I was saying there seems to be a little more people from all over that go to NYC.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM

So you would say there's a big gap between NYC and LA in terms if being the cultural Mecca of the US? It's not just a close 2nd?

Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
So you would say there's a big gap between NYC and LA in terms if being the cultural Mecca of the US? It's not just a close 2nd?
It seems that way. I never said there was a huge gap only that NYC is a bit more as you put it a cultural Mecca of the US.

Just look at the music. A lot of genres started and came out of NYC

Old 11-09-2013, 08:26 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,130,608 times
The bay area is way more relevant than la. la is a giant welfare vortex like chicago or detroit. To compare it to boston, nyc, or the bay is absolutely laughable.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Welfare vortex? Does not SF have as much of a safety net available to people as LA?

Care to elaborate on why LA isn't as relevant as the cities you listed?

Old 11-10-2013, 08:03 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,531,389 times
Quote:
Welfare vortex? Does not SF have as much of a safety net available to people as LA?

Care to elaborate on why LA isn't as relevant as the cities you listed?
Don't waste your time.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,531,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54h4j645jj35 View Post
It seems that way. I never said there was a huge gap only that NYC is a bit more as you put it a cultural Mecca of the US.

Just look at the music. A lot of genres started and came out of NYC
This has gone on long enough. LA's workforce has the highest concentration of artists in the nation.

Five facts about professional artists in the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles