U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 PM

24,885 posts, read 31,479,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Doesn't this actually kind of show that LA County is more diverse than the entire Bay Area?
And there are only 2 LA Area Counties on the list. And I am referring to the LA Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 05:43 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,548,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
American Factfinder.
United States - Data Sets - American FactFinder

Click on Custom Table, choose your criteria and you can find all kinds of fascinating data.

Please go ahead and look it up. They recently updated their estimates for 2008.

Its really quite fascinating-and talk about perspective.

WOW

But I sure had fun. LOL
As I suspected, you were creating your own numbers. Otherwise, you would be able to provide a direct link to the data set versus typing it into your posts.

So sorry. You haven't presented any valid government stats to confirm SF is on par with LA in diversity.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:45 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,779,948 times
Trying to compare the LA metro area with the SF metro area by using a dataset (Alameda County) that represents 24% of the CSA's population (compared to LA county which represents 58% of the total CSA population) is an excellent example of statistical manipulation to create a conclusion that's desirable to the person writing the "analysis."

The Bay Area may be more diverse, I don't know (I think they are pretty close) but the method of analysis used to come to that conclusion is somewhere between flawed and invalid IMO.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 PM

10,220 posts, read 13,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And there are only 2 LA Area Counties on the list. And I am referring to the LA Area.
Yes and just one of those counties has more people in it than every county in the Bay Area combined. So to say the Bay Area is more diverse b/c it has more counties on the list is very misleading b/c Bay Area counties are much smaller than ones in Southern Ca. That list shows that LA County is more diverse than all but one Bay Area County. And LA County makes up the vast majority of the LA metro area's population, especially when compared to Alameda County and it's share of population in the Bay Area.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Your link doesn't work. And as I suspected, you were creating your own numbers.
This is a very serious charge but it confirms that if my stats can be proven true, then you admit that you are flat out wrong about the LA Area being more diverse than the Bay Area.

I think that due to the interactive nature of Factfinder it doesnt link very well. Especially since it times out. Anyway, I'm more than happy to prove the authenticity of my data.

So here we go. Please try and keep up:

1 Go to factfinder.census.gov

2 Look for "American Community Survey" and beneath it, click on get data.

3 When it opens you will see a list of years to choose from, select 2008 American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates and click on Custom Table

4 Move mouse to drop down box labeled "Select a Geographic Type", open and click on "Combined Statistical Area"

5 The drop down box immediately below will yield a list of all Combined Statistical Areas, Select "Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA", and click on "add" The name of LAs CSA will automatically drop down to the box below. Then Select "San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA", click on it and it will also drop down to the box below.

6 Once you see both CSAs in the last drop down box, click on "next"

7 The next screen will appear and it will give you a wide range of actual data that you can select. Everything from population to income to housing to education.

Select the one you want to focus on. For example's sake, I selected "Median Family Income" and it drops to the box below-check the empty box that appears next to it and then click on "add".

8 It drops down to the third box below. Once you see it there, click on "next"

9 The next screen should pop up and one of the options for you to click on should be "Show Result". Click on that.

10 The next screen will have the data

In this instance, here is the result of our query...
Median Family Income, 2008
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $67,197
San Jose-San Francisco, CA CSA $93,327

Please, no need to thank me. I love to help people understand.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That list shows that LA County is more diverse than all but one Bay Area County.
Perhaps but when you factor in the other counties in the LA Metro, apparently its diversity shrinks considerably.

I have 2 main points that have been proven by stats.

1 Alameda County is more racially diverse than LA County.

and

2 The LA Metro is not really more diverse than the SF Bay Area.

The data more than confirms both points.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
Trying to compare the LA metro area with the SF metro area by using a dataset (Alameda County) that represents 24% of the CSA's population (compared to LA county which represents 58% of the total CSA population) is an excellent example of statistical manipulation to create a conclusion that's desirable to the person writing the "analysis."
Well according to that Claritas list, 2 of LAs 5 counties made the list whilst 5 of the Bay Area's 11 counties made the list.

Quote:
The Bay Area may be more diverse, I don't know (I think they are pretty close) but the method of analysis used to come to that conclusion is somewhere between flawed and invalid IMO.
Nope. Even when we examine both Combined Statistical Areas, the data proves parity or near parity.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM

3,218 posts, read 8,916,671 times
Bay Area:Greater LA

Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 PM

439 posts, read 476,593 times
A direct quote from, TheRealAngelion, “Percentage of population is less relevant than overall numbers."

I don't understand your logic at all; in fact that makes no sense. I don't understand why people hype LA's diversity. If your idea of diversity is every other person being Hispanic, well you need to get out more. Believe it or not the Bay Area is more diverse than LA County, the Bay Area has double the percentage of Asians, and yes I said percentage because that's what counts. If anything Asians are the most diverse group of people, speaking different languages, having different religions, different types of food, etc...

You also have to consider that Indians get lumped into the Asian category; an I'm talking about actual Indians, not Native Americans. I haven't looked up the stat but I can guarantee there are more Indians in the Bay Area than LA.
You can't compare different nationalities of people from Central America as diverse. They culture and customs are all very similar.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM

7,864 posts, read 9,461,019 times
All I know is, for most types of ethnic food, LA blows away the Bay Area in terms of availability of really authentic restos. I realize that critical mass plays a role in that. But it is what it is. And I do enjoy it when I head to the Southland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles