U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,749,336 times
The South Bay of LA is the best place in California.

If were talking cities alone, San Fran is cooler city, but I couldnt live there.

Overall LA for sure!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:00 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,468,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Need to look at where the economies of both regions are based...for SF, it's Silicon Valley where the high-income tech and finance careers are largely based and SF itself is a sleepy, foggy yuppie suburb of SV....and in LA its economy is BevHills-CentCity based

That said, know many Stanford or Wharton-educated guys who live in SF; work in SV or SF, but esp enjoy their free time on wkends on LA's Westside, where the "scenery", hedonistic culture and grub are far more interesting than anything on SF Peninsula when one seeks to relax...

SV (though not City of SF) has a far more powerful economy and intellectual ethos than LA, but LA is clearly one of world's favored wkend playgrounds and has a lot of very smart, wealthy guys who like to hang out on its Westside (but most made their money in SV or NYC or elsewhere...and aren't in entertainment industry)
Stop!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM

7,772 posts, read 8,934,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Metr...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

Beforehand, I actually thought as a metro area LA would be worse than the Bay Area b/c of a lot of bad suburbs there but the Greater LA area ranks the 97th Most Dangerous metro area and the Greater SF area ranks as the 25th most dangerous, at least according to this one study.
There are gritty burbs all over the place here. Even some of the supposedly nice ones have bad parts. Gang bangas range widely.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:05 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,468,091 times
I prefer LA. Always have, probably always will. Never actually lived there yet but visited many times; probably will head down there in a few years. Right now I live in SF...before that, SD.

SF's nice, there's lots of cool stuff, but it's so...small. Go seven miles in any direction and you're out. I expected SF to be, like LA, a big world-class city that has anything and everything. It doesn't. For instance, by the time I left SD, Pinkberry had taken over LA & its tart frozen-yogurt clones had saturated SD pretty well too. I love that stuff. So when I moved to SF I was reeling in shock to find a grand total of TWO tart fro-yo shops!!!! (It's much better now but still no Pinkberry!) And what's up with the dearth of good Korean restaurants here? (For the record, Brothers Restaurant is AWFUL!!!)

I'm a huge fan of public transit and while SF's is better than LA's, it's not as better as everyone seems to think. If you live and work in the right areas of both cities then you can get by without a car. Yes, SF has a much higher proportion of "right areas" however it's far from the entire city. And I feel like LA is pouring millions into Metro while SF is sitting back and watching Muni rot. It's quite sad.

SF's inferiority complex is annoying as hell too. SF is not LA. Most SF residents are grateful for that every day. But along with that, SF is not as prestigious or influential as LA. Many SF residents have a chip in their shoulder about that. One of my acquaintances was talking about how bad the writing in the SF Chronicle is (which is true), and his rant went like "it's sad that the flagship city of the west coast has such a bad newspaper."

My reaction to that was just: ...............

And the sad part is, I can imagine that coming from the mouth of a generic San Franciscan. But I can't imagine someone from LA randomly pulling out lines like that.

San Diegans hate LA too, but they're nowhere near as annoying about it. Their attitude seemed to be that LA can have both all the problems & excitement that San Diego doesn't have, and whenever they want some they can go up there. So it was sort of like "nice place to visit, but wouldn't wanna live there."

And while the crime rate is about average in SF & LA, SF residents seem to have such a difficult time admitting their city isn't one of the safest in the nation! Most people I talk to just flat out refuse to believe that anything bad happens in the areas they hang out in (especially the Mission), and then they get defensive anytime I point out that there's been a murder. Their response is usually to blame the victim! It's like "well, they were probably a gang member" or "that's what they get for pissing the wrong person off." And then they go on about how the crime stats are skewed because SF really is a safe city and most crimes happen to people that are looking for trouble. This last part is true, but that doesn't mean it's skewed, because that's the same for MOST cities! SF is the ONLY place I know of that's like this too. In San Diego (a city with a much lower crime rate) whenever a murder is publicized people don't get defensive, they get concerned and talk about how their city is getting dangerous & crime needs to be reduced.

Weather = I'm a hot weather person so I'll take LA hands down. I know many people in SF who love the weather here though. I'd like it more if it actually was foggy most of the time and not cold and damp and looks like it's about to be foggy.

So anyway, no SF isn't perfect, but I've come to appreciate it for what it is. There are lot of good restaurants here...just not Korean. Public transit, while not ideal, is doable. It's a great city to walk in. I love how the whole city seems to converge together for things like Chinatown parade, Golden Gate Park concerts, gay pride, etc. Drivers are easy to understand. But LA has more of what I like better...as well as anything & everything else. (To be fair, SF comes close when you throw in the entire Bay Area - but I don't always want to have to drive to San Jose to get my Pinkberry fix, Fremont to gorge myself on an Afghan buffet, Walnut Creek when I want to go somewhere where people aren't constantly shoving down my throat how Republicans suck, or Oakland when I want a good dose of Koreatown-style energy.)

I always say - say what you want about LA and I probably won't disagree. LA obviously has its share of problems too. Seeing the other comments on this thread about how it's overrun with Mexicans, infested with gangs, full of brain-dead celebrity crazed neanderthals etc...check, check, and check. But it's the only place that I know of that truly has something for everyone.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 AM

19 posts, read 27,898 times
^^^
Finally someone who undesrtands me! (I Love LA for Pinkberry as well)

I've lived in San Francisco and LA only but not San Diego but i go occasionally because it has the perfect weather to go to the Beach and jog.
I've also heard and read from many people that San Fran has Better Transportation. I completely Disagree. La's Buses are the Third Busiest in the Nation, and it's buses are actually nicer.
I rode the bus from Bev Center to Downtown LA and i was just so comfortale i wanted to sleep.
I mean the seats were just great, and the Airconditioning adds a good touch to it. LA spends so much more money on transportation and schools than SF.
I mean sure School's in LA are 70% Mexican, but so what?
What's so wrong with that. People who say these things are just Rascist

I've also read the crap about the smog in LA?!
It's not so horrible?!
Wait for rain to come and POOF gone like magic, and if you really dont think about it then it really wont matter. So many people have lived in LA and have never complained about such things.

The traffic is one of the downsides to LA, its so congested. I HATE IT!!!
I was stuck on the damn 405 for about 45 min just to get off 5 exits, (true story)
and yes the Gangs here are dangerous but, there are no such thing as Wearing a certain color kills you?!

I was lost going to Long Beach and ended up on the streets of Compton wearing red?!
No drive byes or no one asking me what gang am i Affiliated with.

But if you Live in the nice LA areas like Bev Hills, Holmby hills, century City, Santa Monica (although its its own city still in the county), Brentwood, Westwood, Hollywood, Well the Complete westside....you shouldn't have to deal with gang activity.

Well i think you've noticed now im an LA person. I moved to San Francisco for just 7 months and couldnt take the cold any longer so i moved back.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:42 AM

1,432 posts, read 2,134,541 times
LMAO! "hsw" sure is a riot isn't he? He can't make a single post without mentioning a hedge-fund or the communist "ethos" of San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Stop!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:32 PM

7,772 posts, read 8,934,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I prefer LA. Always have, probably always will. Never actually lived there yet but visited many times; probably will head down there in a few years. Right now I live in SF...before that, SD.

SF's nice, there's lots of cool stuff, but it's so...small. Go seven miles in any direction and you're out. I expected SF to be, like LA, a big world-class city that has anything and everything. It doesn't. For instance, by the time I left SD, Pinkberry had taken over LA & its tart frozen-yogurt clones had saturated SD pretty well too. I love that stuff. So when I moved to SF I was reeling in shock to find a grand total of TWO tart fro-yo shops!!!! (It's much better now but still no Pinkberry!) And what's up with the dearth of good Korean restaurants here? (For the record, Brothers Restaurant is AWFUL!!!)

I'm a huge fan of public transit and while SF's is better than LA's, it's not as better as everyone seems to think. If you live and work in the right areas of both cities then you can get by without a car. Yes, SF has a much higher proportion of "right areas" however it's far from the entire city. And I feel like LA is pouring millions into Metro while SF is sitting back and watching Muni rot. It's quite sad.

SF's inferiority complex is annoying as hell too. SF is not LA. Most SF residents are grateful for that every day. But along with that, SF is not as prestigious or influential as LA. Many SF residents have a chip in their shoulder about that. One of my acquaintances was talking about how bad the writing in the SF Chronicle is (which is true), and his rant went like "it's sad that the flagship city of the west coast has such a bad newspaper."

My reaction to that was just: ...............

And the sad part is, I can imagine that coming from the mouth of a generic San Franciscan. But I can't imagine someone from LA randomly pulling out lines like that.

San Diegans hate LA too, but they're nowhere near as annoying about it. Their attitude seemed to be that LA can have both all the problems & excitement that San Diego doesn't have, and whenever they want some they can go up there. So it was sort of like "nice place to visit, but wouldn't wanna live there."

And while the crime rate is about average in SF & LA, SF residents seem to have such a difficult time admitting their city isn't one of the safest in the nation! Most people I talk to just flat out refuse to believe that anything bad happens in the areas they hang out in (especially the Mission), and then they get defensive anytime I point out that there's been a murder. Their response is usually to blame the victim! It's like "well, they were probably a gang member" or "that's what they get for pissing the wrong person off." And then they go on about how the crime stats are skewed because SF really is a safe city and most crimes happen to people that are looking for trouble. This last part is true, but that doesn't mean it's skewed, because that's the same for MOST cities! SF is the ONLY place I know of that's like this too. In San Diego (a city with a much lower crime rate) whenever a murder is publicized people don't get defensive, they get concerned and talk about how their city is getting dangerous & crime needs to be reduced.

Weather = I'm a hot weather person so I'll take LA hands down. I know many people in SF who love the weather here though. I'd like it more if it actually was foggy most of the time and not cold and damp and looks like it's about to be foggy.

So anyway, no SF isn't perfect, but I've come to appreciate it for what it is. There are lot of good restaurants here...just not Korean. Public transit, while not ideal, is doable. It's a great city to walk in. I love how the whole city seems to converge together for things like Chinatown parade, Golden Gate Park concerts, gay pride, etc. Drivers are easy to understand. But LA has more of what I like better...as well as anything & everything else. (To be fair, SF comes close when you throw in the entire Bay Area - but I don't always want to have to drive to San Jose to get my Pinkberry fix, Fremont to gorge myself on an Afghan buffet, Walnut Creek when I want to go somewhere where people aren't constantly shoving down my throat how Republicans suck, or Oakland when I want a good dose of Koreatown-style energy.)

I always say - say what you want about LA and I probably won't disagree. LA obviously has its share of problems too. Seeing the other comments on this thread about how it's overrun with Mexicans, infested with gangs, full of brain-dead celebrity crazed neanderthals etc...check, check, and check. But it's the only place that I know of that truly has something for everyone.
The Bay Area is half of LA with a bay in the middle of it. It's namesake City is at the end of a dead end peninsula, and it stupidly cut off its own hinterland by seceding from the county it was in, back in the 1850s. While the namesake city is a bit more rife with early 20th and 19th century development than LA, closer inspection reveals that much of the city was in fact built (or torn down and rebuilt), like LA, after WW2. The burbs are nearly identical to the ones in SoCal, and they are of similar lineage - initially rural hamlets, which grew into cross roads towns, then became bona fide burbs with the advent of urban electric and heavy rail systems, then with freeways (and removal of urban electric) came coalescence into sprawl.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:44 PM

767 posts, read 1,241,529 times
SF and LA are my two favorite cities period. I would prefer SF to live in because of its smaller size but yet big city environment. It also has a certain enlightened vibe that no other city seems to be able to match. However, for the weather and for tons and tons of things to do and places to go, LA can't be matched.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:06 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,415,700 times
Default San Francisco is the better place

I'd say I'd prefer living in San Francisco. It is the better city IMO because:
1. The air is cleaner-there is less pollution. I've visited SF twice and i have noticed the difference.

2. The people are not as aggressive. They are not as likely to want to hurt someone. I'm not talking about Oakland, just SF. if you visit, you will see this is so obvious.

3. Better weather. This is because SF weather is more consistent and you won't see summer temperatures of 90F or hotter too often. Also, there is more rain in SF which I love to see. That's something LA does not get enough of. Also, weather in the LA metro can hit up to 90F late in the year which never will happen in SF.

4. Better quality Chinese food exists in SF. Without question, this is one of the cities that is a food lover's delight

5. Better baseball fans are in SF because I've seen how the fans cheer for the SF Giants team. They seem to me to be more loyal to their team than those Dodger fans. Dodger fans are not as enthusiastic about their team and I've seen it on tv and in person. I'd rather cheer for the Giants than the Dodgers, honestly. No pitcher on the Dodgers is as good as Tim Lincecum. That is one of the reasons he is in consideration for the Cy Young Award. Because he is awesome. The Giants were not even expected to make the Wild Card as close of a race as they did, yet that is what happened. The Dodgers meanwhile, stumbled into the playoffs this year and had not done much since the retirement of Tommy Lasorda until 2004 when they reached the playoffs and again last year. Giant fans are the better, more loyal fans folks.

San Francisco is the better city by a mile!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 PM

9,941 posts, read 13,558,277 times
^ I'd disagree with the aggressive people thing; I never ran into any problems in LA, but there seem to be far more angry, aggressive and on drugs people in SF. I suppose it depends on area, though, but I've run into more crazy (as in scream-at-you crazy, not just do-your-own-thing crazy) people in SF, even in very nice neighborhoods. As far as food, especially Chinese, I'm guessing you haven't visited the San Gabriel Valley? Both LA and SF are filled with fabulous food options, though. I'd agree that the air is cleaner in San Francisco.

I love both cities, but prefer LA because it's bigger, has a broader range of neighborhoods and things to do, and doesn't have the sense of smugness that sometimes irritates me about SF. Plus, people on LA's public transportation tend to be more polite than in SF. Still, both are great places to live (if you can afford to do so!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles