Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

LA is known for its diversity, but it really isn't diverse. Everywhere you go in the entire metro (except super rich areas of the SaMo Mtns, Calabasas area, and conservative OC) is filled to the brim with Hispanics. The city is overrun with both legals and illegals. The social problems due to immigration are turning LA into a 3rd world country in many areas similar to Miami. The entire LA Metro is largely Hispanic and that is not diversity to me. Even our ethnic neighborhoods we're known for are majority Hispanic such as Koreatown.

In SF, besides Chinatown, the city is more diverse. I didn't stay just in the touristy areas of DT. We took Muni and BART several places. There was a very good representation of what diversity in our country should be like. There were a good amount of white people, but still a very strong representation of blacks, an abnormally large but not out of control Asian population, and a reasonable amount of Hispanics.

Also, I hate suburbs. I like being able to drive occassionally while also being able to use PT whenever I want. That's not an option in LA b/c one destination is very far from the next.

For me, Boston and SF area good combination of the 2 and that's why I hope to live in one of them. I have never stayed an extended period of time in either, but that's how I saw them. Both have large, urban cores and good PT like SF, but they combine the social and entertainment life of LA into that urbanness all in one area. I see SF as having less to do, but having it more centered. LA has more to do, but it's soooooo hard to do more than one thing a night because it takes so long to get from destination to destination.

All in all, I like both to a certain extent, but I prefer NYC and Boston. If I had to choose between the two, it would come down to the salary of a job in either one and which neighborhood I could live in. For LA, I would want to be in Silverlake or West Hollywood (I'm not gay, they're just urban lol...not that theres anything wrong with that) and in SF I would want to be in Mission District or North Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwebs95 View Post
Well, I love the northern most part of LA County... like Westlake Village and Agoura Hills are very nice. =)
Sorry. Had to correct this since no one did yet. The northern most part of LA County is the high desert with cities such as Palmdale and Lancaster. Trust me...no one likes that area.

Westlake Village and Agoura Hills ARE amazing and beautiful and I love them, but they are in the WESTERN most part of LA County. WV is on the border on Ventura County, with the western side WV actually IN Ventura County. Agoura Hills is east of WV.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
LA is known for its diversity, but it really isn't diverse. Everywhere you go in the entire metro (except super rich areas of the SaMo Mtns, Calabasas area, and conservative OC) is filled to the brim with Hispanics. The city is overrun with both legals and illegals. The social problems due to immigration are turning LA into a 3rd world country in many areas similar to Miami. The entire LA Metro is largely Hispanic and that is not diversity to me. Even our ethnic neighborhoods we're known for are majority Hispanic such as Koreatown.

In SF, besides Chinatown, the city is more diverse. I didn't stay just in the touristy areas of DT. We took Muni and BART several places. There was a very good representation of what diversity in our country should be like. There were a good amount of white people, but still a very strong representation of blacks, an abnormally large but not out of control Asian population, and a reasonable amount of Hispanics.

Also, I hate suburbs. I like being able to drive occassionally while also being able to use PT whenever I want. That's not an option in LA b/c one destination is very far from the next.

For me, Boston and SF area good combination of the 2 and that's why I hope to live in one of them. I have never stayed an extended period of time in either, but that's how I saw them. Both have large, urban cores and good PT like SF, but they combine the social and entertainment life of LA into that urbanness all in one area. I see SF as having less to do, but having it more centered. LA has more to do, but it's soooooo hard to do more than one thing a night because it takes so long to get from destination to destination.

All in all, I like both to a certain extent, but I prefer NYC and Boston. If I had to choose between the two, it would come down to the salary of a job in either one and which neighborhood I could live in. For LA, I would want to be in Silverlake or West Hollywood (I'm not gay, they're just urban lol...not that theres anything wrong with that) and in SF I would want to be in Mission District or North Beach.
Check the facts next time. LA County is among the most diverse in the nation, arguably the most diverse (right up there with Queens, but more diverse than SF County).

Then again, it's hard to imagine that someone who refers to "out of control" Asian populations, etc., really values diversity.

And as far as driving and suburbs go, again, check the facts: LA has a robust public transportation system, and many, many people use it to get around. I don't drive, and have lived successfully in both SF and LA without a car or a license. It sounds like you might be comparing the city of San Francisco to the broader metro LA area; the Bay Area is huge and sprawling, too, and to make life easy you do the exact same thing one does in LA: don't schedule your evening activities so that you're moving from one part of the metro area to the other. LA offers plenty of urban neighborhoods, many of them convenient to one another; if you don't like suburbs you don't live in one. It's pretty easy.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:13 PM

Los Angeles County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Hispanics are 47.7% of LA County while whites are 2nd highest at only 28.9%. And there is no wa this is accurate due to illegal immigration so for all we know, that number could be well over 50%.

San Francisco County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
SF isn't completely different, but at least the majority is a slightly lesser percentage.

Queens County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Queens is obviously more diverse though. All populations are almost equal. That cannot be said for SF or LA, but I guess I'll take that back about the LA diversity in my last post.

And about the Asian population being out of control, I've heard some people in LA describe SF as being overrun with an out of control Asian population, but deny LA has a problem with its Hispanic population simply because they hate SF and love LA.

Honestly, how many urban neighborhoods do we have that are easily connected to other urban neighborhoods? Can you get from downtown SaMo to West Hollywood or downtown Long Beach or even downtown LA easily?

I will admit though, while in those urban areas it is great. Even the lesser ones like Venice Beach, Hermosa, Manhattan, SaMo, Westwood, West Hollywood, Koreatown, LBC, Sherman Oaks Village, Old Town Pasadena. It just sucks if you live in one to get to another. A true urban city should not require a car (plenty of people in SF, Chicago, NYC, DC, and Boston don't). However, I know this is personal preference and many disagree with me, while others will agree. I prefer urbanness and LA does not provide that for me.

I'm gonna stop there because I realize what I have said is COMPLETELY my opinion and I don't wanna be a hypocrite and push you to believe what I say.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:28 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:

What are you talking about? LA County is one of the most, if not the most, diverse place on the planet. There is a large Latino pop here including people from all Central and South American countries (whom we tend to lump together), but LA also has the largest Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Armenian, and Persian populations in the U.S. along with sizable populations of Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Samoans, Filipinos, Indians, Russians among many other peoples. LA has the second largest Jewish pop and one of the largest African American populations in the U.S. as well. Religiously speaking every religion under the sun is represented here.

SF (the city itself) is becoming increasingly white. There is very little ethnic and racial diversity in the city of SF. The Bay area at large is diverse but not as diverse as LA metro.

Also what third world country is LA becoming like? I have yet to see any shanty towns or favellas here. And LA’s worst neighborhoods, most complete with single family homes with front and backyards, look like working class neighborhoods in comparison to the slums you encounter on the East Coast.

I am surprised. Are you the real Jess or has your account been hacked? You sound more like that kid in NY who wanted to be a cop.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:52 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
What are you talking about? LA County is one of the most, if not the most, diverse place on the planet.
Alameda County seems more diverse to me. Both on paper and definitely in person.

Quote:
There is a large Latino pop here including people from all Central and South American countries (whom we tend to lump together),
Actually 80% of LA County's hispanics are Mexican. Not a bad thing, but it is what it is.

Quote:
but LA also has the largest Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Armenian, and Persian populations in the U.S. along with sizable populations of Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Samoans, Filipinos, Indians, Russians among many other peoples. LA has the second largest Jewish pop and one of the largest African American populations in the U.S. as well. Religiously speaking every religion under the sun is represented here.
Actually the Bay Area has sizable populations of all of these groups.

Quote:
SF (the city itself) is becoming increasingly white.
By 2050, SF is going to be the only coastal county in California that is NOT majority Hispanic.

Quote:
The Bay area at large is diverse but not as diverse as LA metro.
I think the Bay Area is more diverse actually.

Most Diverse Counties in America according to Claritas
1 Queens, N.Y.
2 Alameda, CA(Oakland)
3 Kings, N.Y.(Brooklyn)
4 Robeson, N.C.
5 Fort Bend, TX
6 Hudson, N.J.
7 New York, N.Y.
8 Harris, TX
9 Los Angeles, CA
10 Dallas, TX
11 San Francisco, CA
12 Solano, CA
13 Santa Clara, CA

14 Cook, IL
15 Essex, N.J.(Newark)
16 San Joaquin, CA
17 Bronx, N.Y.
18 San Mateo, CA
19 San Bernardino, CA
20 Fresno, CA

5 of the Top 20 are in The Bay Area and Alameda County ranks in between Queens and Brooklyn(for heavenssake)

Claritas Study Ranks Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Counties Nationwide; Analysis Shows California Leads Nation In Diversity Among Counties Of 100,000-Plus Population | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET

Also,
Non Hispanic White Population, 2007
Alameda County 37%
Contra Costa 50%
Marin 74%
Napa 59%
San Francisco 45%
San Mateo 45%
Santa Clara 38%

Santa Cruz 62%
Solano 44%
Sonoma 68%

Here is 2008's Update from the Census Bureau--I'm glad to see African Americans are moving in again.

San Francisco Bay Area by County

Non Hispanic White 3,371,083 45.8%
Marin 75.0%
Sonoma 68.2%
Santa Cruz 62.8%
Napa 59.3%
Contra Costa 50.7%
San Francisco 45.6%
San Mateo 45.3%
Solano 43.4%
San Benito 40.7%
Santa Clara 37.9%
Alameda 36.7%

Black 476,374 6.3%

Solano 14.4%
Alameda 12.5%
Contra Costa 9.1%
San Francisco 6.2%
Marin 2.8%
San Mateo 2.8%
Santa Clara 2.5%
Napa 1.8%
Santa Cruz 0.9%
San Benito 0.8%

Asian 1,571,607 21.3%

San Francisco 30.9%
Santa Clara 30.7%
Alameda 24.4%
San Mateo 23.7%
Solano 13.5%
Contra Costa 13.4%
Napa 5.9%
Marin 5.2%
Santa Cruz 3.8%
Sonoma 3.6%
San Benito 2.7%

Hispanic or Latino 1,715,078 23.3%
San Benito 53.7%
Napa 30.0%
Santa Cruz 29.2%
Santa Clara 25.9%
San Mateo 23.4%
Sonoma 23.1%
Contra Costa 22.8%
Solano 22.6%
Alameda 21.7%
Marin 14.1%
San Francisco 14.1%

Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
I'm sorry, but do you have a problem with me and people that look like me living here?
The funny thing is, many cities have the same number of whites as there are Hispanics in LA, with the same percentage of other ethnic groups, and yet they are considered diverse.
But if it's Hispanics, which your problem is even with Americans of Hispanic descent, it's "overrun", and a "problem".

Sorry if you have a problem with us being so present in a major city in the Southwest. Maybe you should go to Atlanta and complain about it being overrun with the problem of Blacks, or to Portland to complain about being overrun with the problem of Whites.

Hispanics are 47 percent of Los Angeles, and non-Hispanic Whites are 45 percent of the population of San Francisco. And this makes San Francisco a more diverse city, and Los Angeles "overrun" with the "problem" of too many Hispanics? Yeah, okay.

If you want a small number of Hispanics that you don't have to see everyday, you're living in the wrong part of the country, pal. Sorry to see we bother you so, but I won't feel too sorry if you decided to find greener(less browner) pastures.

If it's not diverse enough for you, it's a pretty big country.
The Bay Area loves yall.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 PM

Eh. I guess I'm wrong. I'm just becoming increasingly less happy about living here. I can't really put my finger on it, but I can't stand living here any longer. I am counting down the days until I can move out of SoCal. I guess I'm kinda caught up in my own thoughts about what I personally think of LA. Thinking about ever living in LA after high school immediately makes me either depressed, angry, or jealous of people in SF, Chicago, Boston, and NYC.

Just disregard anything I say that's inaccurate for a while until I calm down. I honestly don't mean wrong and I'm just caught up in the spirit of hating LA right now. Once I move out I may hopefully be able to look back on my time here and see the positives, but for me, they will never outweigh the negatives.

The selling feature of LA is having a SFR with a yard on a quiet street. Also, the weather is what sells people, but I hate it here by LAX. I hate temperatures 50*-79* and that's all I get here. Even SF can be in the high 30s and low 40s. SF weather isn't that amazing I will admit though. However, the real winters of NYC, Boston, and Chicago make me jealous of those cities' residents. I hate our weather here. The main attraction of SF is its urbanness. If LA was urban, I would consider staying, but it's not. El Segundo, Playa del Rey, and Westchester are Hell for me! They have completely turned me away from loving LA with how boring and bland and uneventful they are. Even West Hollywood and Silverlake are not that amazing. WeHo is cool, but there's nothing once you leave it. LA as a whole is just not walkable and I hate that. There is nothing here comparable to urban neighborhoods of SF and NYC. Yes, WeHo is dense, but I don't get the same feeling as I do in those other cities while in WeHo.

Sorry for going on and on, but I realize I do sound stupid in my last posts and want to apologize and explain my reasoning. Though facts don't lie, it's still my opinion.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Eh. I guess I'm wrong. I'm just becoming increasingly less happy about living here. I can't really put my finger on it, but I can't stand living here any longer. I am counting down the days until I can move out of SoCal. I guess I'm kinda caught up in my own thoughts about what I personally think of LA. Thinking about ever living in LA after high school immediately makes me either depressed, angry, or jealous of people in SF, Chicago, Boston, and NYC.

Just disregard anything I say that's inaccurate for a while until I calm down. I honestly don't mean wrong and I'm just caught up in the spirit of hating LA right now. Once I move out I may hopefully be able to look back on my time here and see the positives, but for me, they will never outweigh the negatives.

The selling feature of LA is having a SFR with a yard on a quiet street. Also, the weather is what sells people, but I hate it here by LAX. I hate temperatures 50*-79* and that's all I get here. Even SF can be in the high 30s and low 40s. SF weather isn't that amazing I will admit though. However, the real winters of NYC, Boston, and Chicago make me jealous of those cities' residents. I hate our weather here. The main attraction of SF is its urbanness. If LA was urban, I would consider staying, but it's not. El Segundo, Playa del Rey, and Westchester are Hell for me! They have completely turned me away from loving LA with how boring and bland and uneventful they are. Even West Hollywood and Silverlake are not that amazing. WeHo is cool, but there's nothing once you leave it. LA as a whole is just not walkable and I hate that. There is nothing here comparable to urban neighborhoods of SF and NYC. Yes, WeHo is dense, but I don't get the same feeling as I do in those other cities while in WeHo.

Sorry for going on and on, but I realize I do sound stupid in my last posts and want to apologize and explain my reasoning. Though facts don't lie, it's still my opinion.
Let me just say this...

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Los Angeles is an awesome city and I loved my time there(Pacific Palisades)--If I had to leave the Bay I would move to LA without even considering anywhere else.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Just went to San Francisco. Great city.
I made the mistake of being in the Tenderloin after hours though.
Not exactly our best neighborhood.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles