U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 07:50 PM

60 posts, read 213,655 times

Advertisements

I've noticed Inglewood is getting prettier and I'm noticing some white folks moving in again. is it improving? I drove through a street the other day with benzes and bmw's parked all over the place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 08:16 PM

35 posts, read 194,320 times
It has improved alot. I spent some time there in a hotel when I moved to LA 2 months ago.
Inglewood Police did an incredible job from what I hear from people that know the area. It still aint Disneyland, let's say it's like Iraq 2 years removed from a cease fire. Its calmed down alot, people have chilled out some,more peace and love, but you still gotta watch your back.
Relatively speaking of course

Old 08-30-2009, 08:20 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
I remembered this thread from awhile back:

Gentrification in Inglewood

Old 08-31-2009, 12:22 AM

52 posts, read 198,155 times
It has improved. I see white moms pushing their strollers through some nicer parts of the city. You can expect them to move out soon. Property values are plummeting so the people who moved to Inglewood because that is what $500k bought you in '06 if you wanted to be on the Westside, are going to walk because the city will regress. Why pay twice the mortgage amount if the neighborhood quality drops and your neighbor just paid $200k. Cities like Culver City and Venice have cleaned up the crime/gangs but it pushed the problem people to nearby cities including Inglewood. Exacerbating the problem is that Inglewood is heavily black and many of these transplanted problem people are young Hispanics. There has been an on-going race problem that is just waiting to explode. Unfortunate, but true.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:42 AM

17,447 posts, read 23,872,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbg View Post
It has improved. I see white moms pushing their strollers through some nicer parts of the city.
Being in NorCal (although I visit my L.A. family and friends as often as I can afford to) I'm not the most in touch with the 'wood, but I haven't noticed any whites moving in who aren't married to or are in relationships with blacks (and this applies to both white males and white females, remember L.A. has more white male/black female couples than anywhere else in the US). There are nice parts of Inglewood but those parts are areas which have remained nice through the years. I have noticed revitalization and improvement - the black population of North Inglewood is getting the same amenities that mostly white or mixed areas of the same economic status have had for years.

Quote:
You can expect them to move out soon.
Are there enough of them there in the first place? Don't get me wrong, NW Inglewood and Morningside Park are very pleasant areas and not ghetto by any means. Black doesn't mean ghetto. It helps that they're located near the richest African-American neighborhoods in the Western US (and perhaps the entire US, possibly excepting some rich Atlanta burbs and a couple of DC burbs).

Quote:
Property values are plummeting so the people who moved to Inglewood because that is what $500k bought you in '06 if you wanted to be on the Westside, are going to walk because the city will regress.
Like what's going on in Highland Park and Koreatown right now, and what some people in certain parts of Echo Park are afraid of (imo Echo Park won't degentrify just because gentrification advanced there prior to the real estate crash, but more affordable prices are causing some to decamp for Silver Lake)?

Quote:
Why pay twice the mortgage amount if the neighborhood quality drops and your neighbor just paid $200k. Cities like Culver City and Venice have cleaned up the crime/gangs but it pushed the problem people to nearby cities including Inglewood.
Those that didn't go to the AV, IE, OC or even further afield, e.g. Vegas or Phoenix

Quote:
the problem is that Inglewood is heavily black and many of these transplanted problem people are young Hispanics. There has been an on-going race problem that is just waiting to explode. Unfortunate, but true.
Much more true in South Inglewood than North Inglewood from what I've observed. North Inglewood does have some very well established and well rooted middle class neighborhoods (even upper middle class close to Ladera Heights) that have survived all the bad stuff that's happened in that city. I do have hope for those areas. Haven't seen any noticeable white influx other than interracial couples (amongst them a friend of mine who's married to an African-American woman) but when the next round of gentrification hits there's reason to feel optimistic about that part of the 'wood. OTOH I really don't see South Inglewood getting better any time in the foreseeable future.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:24 PM

436 posts, read 770,561 times
It still sucks, you coulden't pay me enough to live there.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,361 times
Cool New to LA

I am new to LA , and interviewed at Centinela hospital in Inglewood . I have gotten mixed responses from new friends , and friends of my relatives , report that the area has a previous bad rap for being a bad neighborhood , with crime and gang history that has gotten better than it was , but still exists . Can anyone familiar to the area offer their oppinions ? thank you in advance .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles