U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 PM

7 posts, read 40,609 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Cheviot Hills / West LA and commute to Santa Monica for work. It's about 8 miles, and from Wednesday through Friday it can take me from 40 mins to an hour to get home after 5:00pm at times. My lease is up in August, so I have to find a new place to live. I'm trying to get my cousin to split rent with me, but she works in Duarte and for her to agree we'd have to divide up the commute times so it would be fairly equal.

What are my options here? So far I've been looking at Echo Park (from what I've read that commute can range from an hour to an hour 1/2). I was considering Alhambra or Monterey Park since I'm Chinese, but I figure that living anywhere west of downtown will make my commute miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 05:33 PM

644 posts, read 3,106,829 times
I think you should look for a roommate in Santa Monica. Either that or have your cousin look for a new job around there.

Artie

Old 04-29-2007, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 40,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I think you should look for a roommate in Santa Monica. Either that or have your cousin look for a new job around there.

Artie
I realize those are my best options for minimizing my commute. However, if I do proceed with the mutual Santa Monica/Duarte commute with my cousin, is my best option Echo Park?

Old 04-29-2007, 11:16 PM

644 posts, read 3,106,829 times
Well, Echo Park looks about half way. You're basically going to have to come all the way across on the 10-West to get to Santa Monica. It's a nasty drive. You know how long it takes just to drive 8 miles across town now? Your commute is going to get even worse than that.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 AM

723 posts, read 2,775,062 times
Echo park to Santa Monica?? heh! Good luck!!! If you're having issues commuting from CHEVIOT HILLS to SM, the Echo Park to SM commute will kill you. Oh man, I would never take on that commute. I'd rent a room in SM during the week. At the end of the day, I always say live where you work when in LA. Doesn't work for everyone, but if you have the choice- live where your career is.

HTH

Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 PM

777 posts, read 3,397,305 times
Colleague commuted from Silverlake to Westwood each day and said it took her up to 90 minutes. Splitting the difference in some random middle ground doesn't really help anyone. Are the hours more amenable to one commute than another?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or