Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 AM

196 posts, read 591,241 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

I am looking for a reputable tour company while we are in LA in late December after Christmas. I have found a few online but am worried about getting ripped off. Anyone know of any good Hollywood tours? We are on a budget and have found an hour and a half tour for 20 bucks a piece through All Los Angeles Tours.com Looking to see landmarks and or celebrity spots/homes, whatever. Just want to give my son and husband a chance to see LA.

Help!
*originally from Orange County*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 AM

143 posts, read 393,851 times
Call the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for recommendations or see what they know of the company.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
If you are staying at a hotel have them book it. The auto club can book it as well.

You can get tickets to shows being filmed as well. Check Audiences Unlimited. My wife and I seen the last three seasons on that 70's Show filmed nearly every shooting. We were able to get scripts and have the cast autograph them, we have over 200 signed scripts.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
If this thread doesn't turn up enough specifics, you could try asking on the travel forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/travel/ Despite living in Hollywood (and walking past the tour touts every single day) I never did get around to actually taking a tour. It's possible that some non-Angelenos might have some better insights, as tourists are more likely to take those than are the locals. I agree that either booking through your hotel or calling the Hollywood Chamber is a good way to start, though.

If you're interested in Hollywood-specific history, the Hollywood Heritage Society offers walking tours on Saturday mornings. They're pretty historic preservation-focused, but are probably the best deal in town if you're interested in that side of things (i.e. old school Hollywood, and not so much modern celebrities).

Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 AM

We aren't staying in LA, but in Orange County as seeing more sights there, just 1 day in LA. (oh I'm a poet! LOL) But will try calling the chamber, thanks for the idea!

Also looking at a lunch place this is more "old Hollywood" feel than spotting Lindsey Lohan if you get what I mean. On a budget here also.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM

I just took a look at that tour online. It's fine, but if you have to get to Grauman's on your own (what part of town are you staying in and will you have a car?), you might just want to walk around yourselves and have a more interesting experience than just driving by the outside of studios. The Kodak Theatre is right next door, and you can see the Hollywood sign from there, The Roosevelt Hotel is down the street, there are other famous theaters (inc. the El Capitan where Jimmy Kimmel is filmed) and landmarks along the way and you'll be on the Walk of Fame as you wander about. And you can have lunch in Hollywood.

And if you have the time, you might get more bang for the buck by simply buying a $5 all-day pass on the metro and going down to Union Station/Olvera St and up to Universal City Walk, etc..

Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM

We WILL have a car. And don't mind the walking. Safe area? We will be there on a Monday.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Oops, something happened to my post about lunch places. I've got somethng in the oven, I'll be right back...

Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Yes, you'll be safe walking around Hollywood during the day. I agree with Latchkey that you might want to just consider going that route. I like the suggestion of incorporating Olvera Street with Hollywood; maybe start in Hollywood, walk down Hollywood Blvd to Vine, hop on the Red Line, get off in Union Station (a landmark itself), then cross the street to wander around Olvera Street (it's literally right across from the station) then just hop back on the train to get back to where you started. The Pig'n Whistle (on Hollywood Blvd by the Egyptian Theater) is very definitely traditional old Hollywood, and isn't bad, especially given the location. I think they have lunch specials, too. Check out the website for some of their history:

Pig'n Whistle

Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM

Yes, it's safe. Hmm, I'm wondering how much you will pay to park in Hollywood and where. I think you should just park the car and walk around Hollywood by yourselves. You can drive down the strip, it's close. You also can drive down to the Farmer's Market and the Grove if you want to look around or have lunch at the Farmer's Market. You also can drive thru Beverly Hills and look at Rodeo if it's of interest.

As far as Old Hollywood restaurants, the oldest and most legendary still in operation is Musso and Frank's, they have a menu online. There's the Pig N' the Whistle, which is next to the Egyptian Theater and has been restored Pig'n Whistle. Food not so classic the last time I was there. On the strip, there's Carney's dining car housed in an old Amtrak train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles