U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:00 AM

8 posts, read 10,856 times
Default hard facts/figures on hourly wage

i know someone who lives in LA near the intersection of venice blvd and route 1, she says her rent is 1700 a month.

what im wondering is what the blue collar jobs pay.. seems like one would need a bare minimum 15/hour to afford that kind of rent and thats assuming low cost of living expenses otherwise, and probably no car.

the temp agencies, what can they do for ya? the production jobs that just require you to do the usual brainless stuff, for which you just need a high school diploma.. whats that sort of thing pay?

further up the scale, what do EMT's/paramedics get paid?

my current employment is in fixing computers and im entirely sick of it. i plan to go to EMT school soon.. i must get out of ny. ill move to either san diego or LA and be homeless, initially, if i have to. i must get out of ny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 06:52 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,817,389 times
Making 15/hr you and if you are single you will take home around 475-500/week. That is with NO benefits coming out of your pay. I don't see how you could possibly pay 1700/month rent on making 2000/month.

Rent is supposed to be like 33% of pay or less not like 85%.

A lot of the temp manual labor jobs here pay way less than 15/hr. Remember there are thousands fighting for even minimum wage jobs right now.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 AM

48,412 posts, read 39,456,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalse View Post
i know someone who lives in LA near the intersection of venice blvd and route 1, she says her rent is 1700 a month.

what im wondering is what the blue collar jobs pay.. seems like one would need a bare minimum 15/hour to afford that kind of rent and thats assuming low cost of living expenses otherwise, and probably no car.

the temp agencies, what can they do for ya? the production jobs that just require you to do the usual brainless stuff, for which you just need a high school diploma.. whats that sort of thing pay?

further up the scale, what do EMT's/paramedics get paid?

my current employment is in fixing computers and im entirely sick of it. i plan to go to EMT school soon.. i must get out of ny. ill move to either san diego or LA and be homeless, initially, if i have to. i must get out of ny.
Well, if you plan on moving to CA without a job and not much training except in a field you hate, you can plan on being homeless for a long time. Are you going to EMT school in Cal or NY? When will you start and do you have the funds to support yourself while in school?

As for the min. labor types of jobs, they are very hard to find and not many would pay anywhere near $15 an hour. Yes, you can live on $15 a hour, but you will need to keep your monthly rent nearer to $800 a month, max.

Why have you decided on CA and what do you know about the state? Obviously not too much if you didn't know about the horrible unemployment rate and the outrageous cost of living.
Nita

Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 AM

im well aware of the unemployment rate in cali these days. but show me a perfect city and hell, ill move there =] jobs are harder to come by in any city now.

some sort of production job i merely state as example as i assume id just pick up whatever until i was able to find a 'real' job. lining one up ahead of time before moving to begin with is certainly ideal but if you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere.

ive already pretty much decided the practical way to go is to have a roommate(s). i assume this is common there just like any other city?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 AM

48,412 posts, read 39,456,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalse View Post
im well aware of the unemployment rate in cali these days. but show me a perfect city and hell, ill move there =] jobs are harder to come by in any city now.

some sort of production job i merely state as example as i assume id just pick up whatever until i was able to find a 'real' job. lining one up ahead of time before moving to begin with is certainly ideal but if you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere.

ive already pretty much decided the practical way to go is to have a roommate(s). i assume this is common there just like any other city?
Yes roomates are common, but most people will not consider you as a room mate without a job. No, you are not getting it, even union workers can not find jobs in Ca nor can wait people, especially in San Diego and Los Angeles. No one said there is such a thing as a perfect city, but right now Ca isn't the place to be looking for a job, it certainly isn't the place to move without you whether you like you present job or not. Be thankful you have one.
Normally I would agree, if you can make it in NY (I assume you mean NYC) you can make it anywhere. Today that isn't necessarily true.

Regardless, good luck and I hope you do not end up homeless, it might very well happen.

Nita

Old 09-04-2009, 03:27 PM

10,097 posts, read 13,056,276 times
What do you mean by a perfect city?

As far as Unions, this is not a big union state like many in the midwest or east coast. For example people hire non union workers here in this state. I only bring it up because I think Nina mentioned something about Unions and just figured I would add my 2 cents worth.

I have heard that In&Out pays $10. an hour and the McDonalds near us pay over $8.00 an hour. (Minumum wage for the state is $8.00 an hour.) That is if you can find a job at even those places. You may end up doing what many of us do and work more than one job, just to get by. Not that I do that, but it seems to be the norm now. I know many of my coworkers work a second job. Some have a second job and a home based business as well.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 PM

880 posts, read 1,048,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Rent is supposed to be like 33% of pay or less not like 85%.
It's "supposed" to be? I don't know who's rules those are but I know few people who spend a less than majority of their pay on housing. For me, it's closer to 85%. Trying to find something cheaper but I just might have a heart attack first.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:54 PM

11,728 posts, read 23,705,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
It's "supposed" to be? I don't know who's rules those are but I know few people who spend a less than majority of their pay on housing. For me, it's closer to 85%. Trying to find something cheaper but I just might have a heart attack first.
HUD uses 1/3 of income as a max for determining how much a section 8 recipient should spend of their own money on housing. Also, in the days before "creative" mortgages, lenders let you spend up to about a 1/3 of your gross income on housing each month.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:57 PM

this is all sounding quite bleak. =/

it always did, but especially so, on this forum.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:41 PM

193 posts, read 338,494 times
$15/hr is achievable with experience and a spot on interview. One bed apts are coming down in rent a little. 1700 would do you fine in Long Beach in a pretty good area and with 2 beds. Split that in half and you can make it work. Tight, but workable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
HUD uses 1/3 of income as a max for determining how much a section 8 recipient should spend of their own money on housing. Also, in the days before "creative" mortgages, lenders let you spend up to about a 1/3 of your gross income on housing each month.
That seems dated. I've seen and gotten loans with closer to 45% spent on housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles