Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 11,993 times

Advertisements

I'm moving down later this month to the area for a job located in El Segundo, CA. I was wondering what the difference was between Marina del Rey/Playa del Rey/Playa Vista - those are the three locations I'm leaning towards right now but really don't have much clue about the area.

I'm looking for an apartment 1bdroom around $1800 .. I'd prefer a newer building.. Was wondering if I could get some suggestions for different apartments.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 04:04 PM

52,199 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjun View Post
I'm moving down later this month to the area for a job located in El Segundo, CA. I was wondering what the difference was between Marina del Rey/Playa del Rey/Playa Vista - those are the three locations I'm leaning towards right now but really don't have much clue about the area.

I'm looking for an apartment 1bdroom around $1800 .. I'd prefer a newer building.. Was wondering if I could get some suggestions for different apartments.

Thanks!
I don't know that area all that well, but I've been in Culver City a few times and it seems pretty decent. It's about 5-10 minutes away from Marina del ray.

It is probably a little cheaper as its not on the water.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:00 PM

436 posts, read 907,754 times
Playa Del ray may be a little less expensive, Marina Del Ray is expensive, but nice it all depends on what you can afford, Marina Dell Ray is nicer, but closer to the water and more expensive.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Playa del Rey's immediate next door neighbor is the lift-off end of LAX. Lift-off as in full throttle jet noise.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM

436 posts, read 907,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Playa del Rey's immediate next door neighbor is the lift-off end of LAX. Lift-off as in full throttle jet noise.
If you like jet noise than it's cool.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:44 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i've lived in both PDR and MDR and like both but prefer the marina. playa del rey is nice in that it is closer to el segundo, is generally quiet and peaceful (peoplewise, not so much with the planes), and is relatively cheap considering it is a beachside community. however, besides the beach and a few shops and restaurants, there really isn't much there and it really feels dettached from the rest of the city. MDR on the other hand is very densely populated and traffic can be pretty bad around here. however, there is a lot to do in the area especially if you like walking around a bit. if not, parking can be a pain, but you are also very close to venice and santa monica as well. playa vista is a bit too secluded and self contained for me, it would be better if you had kids but still wanted to live in the city.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:12 PM
m8m

1 posts, read 11,320 times
PDR is a hidden gem so if you don't want to move here, please don't!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:34 PM

26 posts, read 95,864 times
MDR is more expensive but a great area. PDR is unlivable due to the airport noise. Playa Vista is a new neighborhood, just condos and apartments...very yuppie...but nice.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 10,167 times
I am a 58 year born and raised native of PDR so I am partial to living here but I think most people wouldn't like the noise so they should look elsewhere - MDR is the best choice by far . El Stinky is good to work , safest for families , but a very scary city . 25 MPH means 25 MPH ! There's more , but you really can't talk about certain things . Chitty City has the same kind of good and bad but without the Airport , Oil Refinery #2 , Osgood Electrical Generating Station and the smell of the Poo Factory . As far as MDR places go , West of Lincoln , is the most expensive so the area they call Marina Adjacent , East of Glencoe stretching to Palms is where the bargains are , almost a Grand difference in rent ! Anyone considering moving to Los Angeles needs to know that MDR is like the West's version of Monte Carlo , but without gambling . Someone who likes the Ocean , boats and boating , fishing , surfing , flying planes , best in the World weather and Birthplace of Carrol Shelby's automotive legend the Cobra . Likes Harley's too ! Every amenity imaginable . Yep , MDR is the winner !

Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Phil Jackson and Jeanie Buss live in Playa Del Rey so it must be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles