U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 AM
 
3 posts, read 34,730 times
Reputation: 14
Default Nice Areas of Long Beach?

Hi
My boyfriend and I are about to relocate from San Jose to Long Beach. We are originally from Detroit and have lived in Hollywood, various spots in the SF Valley and finally Santa Monica before taking this position in San Jose (which sucks) for the last 9 mons. We are so psyched to get back to the beach! However, I've only been to LB once and am totally unfamiliar with the area and I will be the one coming down to find an apt. In my experience so far with the SoCal coast anything near the beach is a good neighborhood because the prices keep the criminals, etc out. From what I've read so far that doesn't appear to be the case in LB. Can someone please clear that up for - is anywhere near the coast safe? Do I need to stick to specific zips? How is 90802? 90804? I seen quite a few listings in those areas. We're not looking for a high rise or Canada, we just don't want our cars broken into or to be stuck inside at night.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2007, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Southern California
119 posts, read 582,327 times
Reputation: 97
90802 Downtown Long Beach New apartments and condos. It is one of the most affordable Downtowns in Southern California. Culture, nightlife,and shopping.

90803 Belmont Shore and Naples most expensive section in Long Beach and one of the most desirable too. close to the beach, Cal State Long Beach.Also Alamitos Beach, Carroll Park affordable areas in this Zip Code. Some night life and culture.

90804 East Long Beach dicey working class area.

90805 North Long Beach hit and miss rent a house vs rent apt in this area houses are a better deal. Location above Del Amo Blvd and East of the LA River.

90806 Vista del Sol and Wrigley District one of the most diverse areas in Long Beach; working class and middle class area.

90807 Bixby Knolls, California Heights, Ridgewood, Los Cerritos. California Heights a historical district from Wardlow to 36th St and LA River and Cherry Ave. Homes built from 1920's to the 1940's Bungalows in Arts and Crafts, English Tudor, Spanish Colonials designs. Bixby Knolls middle class area with shops on Atlantic Ave from 36th to Del Amo Blvd a variety of housing designs ranch, cape cod, Federal Style and spanish colonials. Los Cerritos custom grand estates on 18,000 sf to 2 acres lots a variety of design similar to Bixby Knolls also both neighborhood have contemporary designs. The community surround the prestigous Virginia County Club. Plenty of Condos and Apartments in this zip code from triplex to large apartment complexes.

90808 Plaza,El Dorado Park, Country Square and Long Beach City College area. LBCC area have 4-plex apartments, and homes on lots from 12,000 sft to 1/2 acre lots. Lots of college kids and professors. The Plaza district (California ranch designs, New Orleans design not availble despite the name) many single family homes some apartment and condos. Major parks includes Heartwell Park (Southern Calfornia poor mans imatation (sic) N Y Central Park and San Francisco's Golden Gate without the Palace of Fine Arts and other attractions.) Also El Dorado Park and Nature Center split between the City Of Long Beach and Los Angeles County. Theres a golf course too at Heartwell. Plus Skylinks Golf Course newly remodeled in the area.

90810 West Long Beach (west of LA River) again Dicey working class.

90813 Central City diversity yes safety no.

90814 Belmont Heights Lower Heights expensive and desirable single family homes, condos and apartments. Upper Heights more affordable that Lower Heights more apartments. Lower Belmont below Anaheim St. Upper Belmont below Pacific Coast Highway all west of Redondo east of Cherry.

90815 Los Altos, Park Estates and University Heights. Los Altos plenty of single family homes, duplex, 4-plexes and few apartments. Park Estates lots of custom homes and large tract homes on large lots. More apartments near Cal State University, Long Beach in Univerisity Heights Recreation Park and Colorado Lagoon where people go for relax or play sports. There a golf course nearby.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
2,074 posts, read 8,127,912 times
Reputation: 1572
Rec Park is 90804 and I believe Colorado Lagoon is either 90814 or 90803. Correct me if I'm wrong.

hgclyde,

Great post. Very accurate.

Paula
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2007, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
2,074 posts, read 8,127,912 times
Reputation: 1572
Downtown Long Beach is great fun ......... don't go north of 3rd Street, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Southern California
14,042 posts, read 6,743,322 times
Reputation: 31627
hgclyde covered the entire city of Long Beach very accurately based on ZIP codes. I agree with what was written and is a good guide for anyone desiring to move to Long Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara County
97 posts, read 404,536 times
Reputation: 112
I live in 90815. Love Long Beach. I've been accused of working for the Chamber of Commerce or being a realtor (I don't). I just love Long Beach and have lived here on and off since college in the early 70's. Believe it or not, I retired from the Bay Area and moved back to LB! No regrets!

Check out what's happening downtown (Ocean and Pine Ave area), head east on 3rd street to around Redondo or Ximeno and cruise the neighborhoods. Mostly in the millions but there are apartments, condos, and small bungalows that regular folks like you and me can afford.

Head down to Belmont Shore for lunch and check out Naples and Alamitos Bay. I like to kayak the canals and fish from the rocks. Maybe head over the bridge to Seal Beach and walk out on the pier. Back into LB on PCH, turn right on Bellflower and go a mile or so and drive through CSULB (my alma mater, I might add). The area around the college is called Los Altos. You can check out the neighborhoods from CSULB north all the way up to Carson and beyond where you're going to be in Lakewood.

If you're inclined, California Heights is also a great area. (I'm pondering a move over there or to Belmont Heights). Up Atlantic from the 405 a mile or two. 1920-30's era California bungalows and a very quaint feel with small shops and some great restaurants (I like the gumbo place or the Bake 'n Broil)!). Very Santa Monica-like feel but half the price.

Lots of great places to go, good restaurants, awesome arts culture and theaters, and plenty of friendly people. Downtown (Broadway up to the 405 fwy) and parts of the north end are the pits but heck, you probably wouldn't want to live there anyway. At least I wouldn't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 10:10 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 3,534,427 times
Reputation: 644
I was in dowtown Long Beach on business last Thursday and took a little drive over to Belmont Shore along 2nd Street. What a great area that is. I had never been over there before. I was pleasantly surprised. Seal Beach, which is right next to LB, is great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Southern California
14,042 posts, read 6,743,322 times
Reputation: 31627
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ View Post
I live in 90815. Love Long Beach. I've been accused of working for the Chamber of Commerce or being a realtor (I don't). I just love Long Beach and have lived here on and off since college in the early 70's. Believe it or not, I retired from the Bay Area and moved back to LB! No regrets!

Check out what's happening downtown (Ocean and Pine Ave area), head east on 3rd street to around Redondo or Ximeno and cruise the neighborhoods. Mostly in the millions but there are apartments, condos, and small bungalows that regular folks like you and me can afford.

Head down to Belmont Shore for lunch and check out Naples and Alamitos Bay. I like to kayak the canals and fish from the rocks. Maybe head over the bridge to Seal Beach and walk out on the pier. Back into LB on PCH, turn right on Bellflower and go a mile or so and drive through CSULB (my alma mater, I might add). The area around the college is called Los Altos. You can check out the neighborhoods from CSULB north all the way up to Carson and beyond where you're going to be in Lakewood.

If you're inclined, California Heights is also a great area. (I'm pondering a move over there or to Belmont Heights). Up Atlantic from the 405 a mile or two. 1920-30's era California bungalows and a very quaint feel with small shops and some great restaurants (I like the gumbo place or the Bake 'n Broil)!). Very Santa Monica-like feel but half the price.

Lots of great places to go, good restaurants, awesome arts culture and theaters, and plenty of friendly people. Downtown (Broadway up to the 405 fwy) and parts of the north end are the pits but heck, you probably wouldn't want to live there anyway. At least I wouldn't!
Are you sure about that???

I saw in another thread that you're <gasp> moving away from Long Beach, despite how you've obviously expressed on here how much you love the city? Say it isn't so!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara County
97 posts, read 404,536 times
Reputation: 112
Default yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
Are you sure about that???

I saw in another thread that you're <gasp> moving away from Long Beach, despite how you've obviously expressed on here how much you love the city? Say it isn't so!!!
I am moving (in fact I'm replying from a motel in Tucumcari, NM as we speak) but not permanently. Keeping the LB house and living bi-coastal for awhile. Great jobs are sometimes worth a little sacrifice.

I love Long Beach and will never sever my ties with it. In fact, as I wander through the country on my trek to the east coast, I am more convinced than ever that Long Beach is the one of the greatest places for quality of life in the country. That may be a stretch for some (especially given our proximity to LA!), but that's my opinion.

As an illustration of why I think LB is so awesome, here's some of my activities in the last week before I loaded up the uhaul and headed out: kayaked the bay, was an extra in a movie, went to the CSULB koy pond (cool!), went to the beach, went fishing, went to a couple of my favorite LB restaurants, and took pictures of the peak bloom of the jacaranda trees all over town. It's a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Southern California
14,042 posts, read 6,743,322 times
Reputation: 31627
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ View Post
I am moving (in fact I'm replying from a motel in Tucumcari, NM as we speak) but not permanently. Keeping the LB house and living bi-coastal for awhile. Great jobs are sometimes worth a little sacrifice.

I love Long Beach and will never sever my ties with it. In fact, as I wander through the country on my trek to the east coast, I am more convinced than ever that Long Beach is the one of the greatest places for quality of life in the country. That may be a stretch for some (especially given our proximity to LA!), but that's my opinion.

As an illustration of why I think LB is so awesome, here's some of my activities in the last week before I loaded up the uhaul and headed out: kayaked the bay, was an extra in a movie, went to the CSULB koy pond (cool!), went to the beach, went fishing, went to a couple of my favorite LB restaurants, and took pictures of the peak bloom of the jacaranda trees all over town. It's a great place.
Sorry to learn you're going to be leaving the area you love so much, but if it's only a temporary situation, it's all good. I've seen many areas of the country I THINK I might want to live in someday, but the Greater Long Beach area will always be home to me, especially for all the fun things that you can do around here, as you cited above. Here's a shot of downtown on the waterfront taken from the Queen Mary, especially for you (courtesy of Wikipedia):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/LongBeachskyline.jpg/300px-LongBeachskyline.jpg (broken link)

And another view (looks like Shoreline Drive):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/02/IMGP3671.JPG/250px-IMGP3671.JPG (broken link)

Here's wishing you all the best in your future endeavors! Take comfort in the fact that you can always move back. We'll be waiting for you!

As you said, it's a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top