U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 PM

193 posts, read 351,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony321 View Post
Dont forget to do a background check unless you are hiring Mr. Clean.
Yeah, you're right on that. The fact that she's been on the street cleaning a couple houses for over 20 years straight sure indicates trouble.

RE: $60 per. I'm going to pursue $75 for a bi monthly schedule. $150 vs. 240 will help me as a retired person. And, some rooms just don't get used since there are only 2 of us. I can keep the kitchen sink and floor clean. I've been cleaning for my wife for 20 years now. I always did my share and always have done my own laundry (my first wife wouldn't do a thing). When my present wife had back surgery in the 80's, I took over.

Now, she's the one with a job.

The cleaner starts tomorrow. I'll give her a hundred if she's out in 6 hours. She will be because I already took some things down off shelves and washed and dusted.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM

11 posts, read 28,962 times
We pay $150 for a full day. 2,800 square feet, hardwood throughout, three bedrooms, three large, tiled baths. She does the beds, oils the oak counters in the kitchen and cleans our pesky AGA stove. We also have a lot of windows and she does and folds the laundry if she has some extra time.

We had another lady before this one and paid $40 less, but she was about $80 less good.

Get referrals and simply ask what they're paying (I know you said you're not comfortable doing that - just do it). Or, have the person come in and have them give you a quote.

-R.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:31 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,109,289 times
$15 per hour is about right but if you have expensive breakables then a professional contract cleaner who is fully insured will give you less sleepless nights.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:56 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,435,497 times
Two people $15/hr each, 2.5 hours (five man hours), so $75 for a 4200 sqft home, five bedrooms, four bathrooms, mostly wood flooring. Twice a month.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:26 PM

3,681 posts, read 3,465,282 times
Before I moved I was paying $60.00 per week for a 3,400 sq. ft. house with lots of "clutter." It took 2 ladies about 3 hours and the cleaning was decent but not great. That was in Los Angeles County. When I moved out of state, I had a one time cleaning of an empty 3,500 sq. ft. home. They charged $25.00 per hour and estimated 6 - 8 hours. I was pretty shocked to get a bill for $700! They said there were two cleaners and apparently charged $25/hr. each! And it apparently took them longer than expected...I thought this was pretty outrageous especially since we're not in a particularly affluent area!

Old 09-19-2009, 05:01 PM

193 posts, read 351,765 times
Well, the cleaner came and went. Almost 5 hours in the kitchen and breakfast room which is small. She cleaned everything but the ceiling. Old school, no vacuum, broom and hand work. She did use a floor mop. I mostly do the floor on my knees. I guess that's why I get sore knees.

I did the dining room and one bedroom and then vacuumed the second and most used bedroom. I prewashed the shower floor and master bath tile floor. I did the guest bath which didn't need much attention. The only room that didn't get done was the living room and I did get that vac'd up.

She wouldn't leave until she did a fast dust job on the furniture in the living room, no polish. Any and all natural furniture got a thorough waxing with liquid wax. I did that in the dining and the second bed. She did her share.

Seven hours and a few minutes total for us both. I washed the outside of the windows and she got the inside, which I didn't really want done. We could have covered more ground if she hadn't.

Anyway, I'm older than her but not by that much. Maybe 10 years. She has been doing this for a long time and worked me under the table. I was pretty sore this morning.

I don't think the house was too dirty, but she was going to wash the painted kit cabinets regardless. Needless to say, things are nice and clean today.

I gave her $120 in cash. I wouldn't have worked that hard (either her or me) for 3 times that. I think she was happy, but I can't be sure. We'll see if I call for another appointment.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,194,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
The cleaner starts tomorrow. I'll give her a hundred if she's out in 6 hours. She will be because I already took some things down off shelves and washed and dusted.
How did it go?

K.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:28 PM

12,217 posts, read 12,672,869 times
That sounds like a pretty normal rate (what you paid). I paid $100 last Christmas for my small, but 3-br. 2.5-bath house @ 4 hours of work.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:25 PM

19,125 posts, read 13,874,410 times
For our 2,400 sq ft home weekly was $100.00. We had the same cleaning woman for over 20 years and her prices changed very little. You pay for what you get! She was dependable and did a great job!!

Old 09-21-2009, 03:32 PM

88 posts, read 253,155 times
I think thats what it boils down 2...Whilst you're all tryin to cut corners and breaking the white gloves out before the cleaners parking spot is dry...think about this. How often do you want the hassle of looking for a new cleaner? Communication is THE key to a cleaner house...hire YOUR language. Do you tip? Are you a micro-manager like "sarahkate" described?
Most of our homes are under 2,000sq. ft. in a retirement community...with a minimum of clutter and the least amount we charge is $65 for 1hr. 15min x2=2.5 manhours. We try to average $30hr. sometimes you're the bug, sometimes the windshield. Although we have a waiting list - we haven't brought on a new customer in nearly 3 years. We pre-screen the customers too. We explain you're paying for a clean house..not how long we're there. We explain, we do NOT pay for breakage...if you want to preserve it, put it away before we arrive...We explain no last-minute cancellations or interruptions in service because of other contractors and no post-construction cleanups. We explain absolutely NO outside cleaning or windows cept sliders and mirrors of course. We are self-directed during our work. We clean 4-5houses a day 5 days a week.
Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles