Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 PM

273 posts, read 654,720 times

Advertisements

Tried to do a search on this but came up short. A sole independent will clean my home full of antiques, etc. Not an easy job. Certainly not Spartan and contemporary. Hardwood floors and lots of tile.

The proposal is to come in an do a one time thorough cleaning and then do a weekly run through for 3-5 hours as needed. The rate is not yet determined and I have to set the rate.

Different, I know. I supply all tools and supplies. Labor only and flat rate is what is on the table. All surfaces to be kept up, no bedding or windows.

I'm not in an affluent area, not that has anything to do with it. But, this ain't Beverly Hills.

This person has worked for the neighbor for 25 years. What's the going rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:46 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,621 times
Lightbulb at least no less than

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
Tried to do a search on this but came up short. A sole independent will clean my home full of antiques, etc. Not an easy job. Certainly not Spartan and contemporary. Hardwood floors and lots of tile.

The proposal is to come in an do a one time thorough cleaning and then do a weekly run through for 3-5 hours as needed. The rate is not yet determined and I have to set the rate.

Different, I know. I supply all tools and supplies. Labor only and flat rate is what is on the table. All surfaces to be kept up, no bedding or windows.

I'm not in an affluent area, not that has anything to do with it. But, this ain't Beverly Hills.

This person has worked for the neighbor for 25 years. What's the going rate?

$15/hr but don't be surprised if that isn't enough. does the housecleaner have to wash any windows? not having to is a good factor.

around 1995 i charged $12/hr in torrance.

kate

Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
The rate would depend on what is required and the difficulty in accesing the area to be cleaned. You have a lot of antiques? are they breakable? SO many variables.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:40 PM

273 posts, read 654,720 times
Or course they're breakable. The new stuff is too. What's the difference?

Sarah, I mentioned in my first post that windows are not part of the arrangement. One bath, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, dining and living room. Area rugs on hardwood floors.

I was thinking around $15/hr straight cash. But, the cleaner wants a flat rate, so I have to come up with a number. I know this is odd that the price was not estimated up front. I'm sure it takes a few times to get used to the layout and conditions. The cleaner was next door today and did the house in 4.5 hours. It's a big 2 story English Tudor style with an additional bath and bedroom.

I might have to ask what they pay, but I don't feel comfortable with that.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,200 times
I pay $125 for a husband/wife combo every two weeks. Takes about 3-1/2 hrs. 5BR/3B 2600sft. Not a lot of nick-nacks to dust though. So I guess that's a bit above $15/hr per person. All housekeepers I've used charge a flat rate.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 AM

34 posts, read 110,416 times
Individuals with experience $15-25./hr on avr.

Cleaning Companies $30-$40/hr.

Usually flat rated though, done by in home consultation or over the phone.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:01 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
A friend of mine has a Ming vase. You can not replace it. Yes new stuff is also breakable, but replaceable. Also many furniture options are antique, but not breakable. Everything matters. I would charge a differant price for cleaning a room full of furniture than a room full of china and nicknacks.

Lets say someone charges $15 an hour. I bet in a home with mostly furniture and few breakables they would be in and out in a short amount of time. Lots of breakables means lots of time cleaning.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,621 times
Thumbs up good points in every post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I would charge a differant price for cleaning a room full of furniture than a room full of china and nicknacks...Lots of breakables means lots of time cleaning.
where were you when i needed your logic *L*

OP: sorry i didn't read your post thoroughly. i can see how flat rate would work. just bid on what is in your comfort level but YOU KNOW start like $40 dollars lower for your own sake so there's sliding room in the negotiation. the negotiation by the cleaner will have justification that will make you look considerate when you say yes to a higher amount. you'll look understanding.

whenever i think about cleaning or dusting... i don't. just kidding. i have a jaded view of housekeeping. i envy smooth surfaces & minimalism, although i fall short.

i'm beginning to understand the flat rate view. if & when the variables change, it would be time to renegotiate.

i cleaned for a rather persnickety kinda lunatic lady who micromanaged everything i did - her house was already kind of spooky clean & i never felt comfortable cleaning for her - worked for her for years, even when she moved to a mini mansion.

then she got a yellow lab. it was too much for me. all of a sudden the micromanaging directions from her became unbearable with dog hair all over the stairs & marble floors & the kitchen. that was the end of that. she had to go shop for someone who would hopefully speak english.

being a house cleaner is a drag... after 2 years of the same houses every week, i used to say a silent prayer at the door knob of every house every time, to endure the boredom just one more time & pay attention.

if you can afford it, more power to you. you're helping the economy - kudos.

kate

Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 PM

522 posts, read 715,170 times
insure the antiques etc under homeowmers policy if possible. Dont forget to do a background check unless you are hiring Mr. Clean.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:25 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,065 times
Unfortunately a house keeper was one of the things we have had to do without recently. We (especially my spouse) liked having a clean house and putting some $$ directly into the local economy. We paid $60 every week for about a half a days worth of cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles