Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times

Advertisements

I'm applauding lucero32's (my husband is an SC grad teacher as well) post as well as fairweathergolfer's, since his perspective is vital to those considering relocating here. What kind of place is this that so financially forbids a useful, college-educated workforce from raising a family here unless they submit to living in dangerous, declining areas? This truly is L.A.'s present reality. Lucero, thank you for your candor, you rock.

Twinkletoes, my posts are subject-specific to this L.A. forum. And buyacar, we actually wish to sell our house eventually in order to flee, so I'm not going to be site-specific. (It's actually a very cool house, restored 1912 farmhouse and large lot, has been used in tons of movies and tv shows. Paid for its own mortgage one year!) We live in the middle of the San Fernando Valley. I drive across roughly 30 miles of it daily and continue to vouch for the fact that much of Valley except the wealthier edges around the foothills and western parameter are exactly in the same dangerous and declining status of my home area. It's just the way things are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 08:41 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Richard Blade, Roma.
Thanks cricket!

I can hear his voice, in my head, as I am typing this. I loved his voice.

I also see, from your location, that you are in T.O. Thats where I lived for almost 30 years, (till very recently).

Hey Fairweather, I also will add to my list, that I miss the T.O. (Conejo Valley) area.

Last edited by Roma; 05-21-2007 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-21-2007, 09:47 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Oh, I also want to add that I miss the beaches of Oxnard. I want to give a shout out to Hollywood Beach. Save the Snowy Plovers and the Heron's nests!!!!!

Old 05-21-2007, 04:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Default I miss Prop 13

Seriously, I miss the certainty of knowing that my yearly property tax increases are limited to a maximum of 2% under Prop 13.

In Washington State, the way it is right now, property tax can nearly double in 2 or 3 years solely because someone buys a home for big bucks in your neighborhood triggering new assessments for all property in that neighborhood. It is not fair, but that is just the way it is in most parts of the country.

I do miss the protection afforded to homeowners under Prop 13!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:07 PM

157 posts, read 828,692 times
I sure won't miss what prop 13 did to our schools though! I was in school when the changeover occurred and it was immediate and dramatic!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Default Prop 13 and my School

I too was in school at the time.

The only impact "I" noticed as a student was my school no longer subsidized Field Trips. Field Trips were still part of the curriculum... but each student had to cover their share of the cost up-front or not go. I continued to have the same teachers, principal and Music and Sports programs post Prop 13 as before before Prop 13.

My Dad was a teacher and he voted for Prop 13...

That said, I still miss the protection and piece of mind Prop 13 provided by limiting yearly tax increases to 2% each. This is especially true each year when my property tax bill arrives in the mail... it feels like I'm playing property tax roulette here in the Evergreen State.

I love Washington, but if I'm forced to move... I'm sure property taxes will be the deciding factor.

Like I said, I was at student at the time and I'm sure others will have differing views. I'm grateful that prop 13 made it possible for my parents to remain in the family home in their Golden Years and that is what I miss most.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:56 PM

157 posts, read 828,692 times
Wow, that is really intersting Ultrarunner! My school lost it's gifted program, it's art and it's music classes (except the honor choir)! I had no idea it was so uneven thanks so much for sharing your story!

Old 03-12-2016, 03:02 PM

387 posts, read 512,141 times
I strongly believe that Californian's who leave the state for Texas, are really just embarrased to admit they got priced out and are miserable in a bland, flat environment. No beauty to it's landscape.

Conclusion: If you decide to leave California, you might aswell move somewhere just as great, no need to downgrade (Texas).

Old 03-12-2016, 03:44 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
^^ WTF is the point of bumping a nine year old thread?

People move for all kinds of reasons. One person's downgrade is another's upgrade.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:02 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
^^ WTF is the point of bumping a nine year old thread?

People move for all kinds of reasons. One person's downgrade is another's upgrade.
He's bumped multiple 5+ year old threads over in the Texas and Houston forums as well.. It's pretty sad how badly he tries to slander Texas/Houston. Sorry you fine folks in California have to deal with his nonsense in your forums too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles