Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 01:38 AM

94 posts, read 375,446 times

Advertisements

I moved to California (Orange County) right after I graduated highschool eight years ago. I stayed there for about a year but ended up getting really homesick and moving back home (to Nebraska). I finished my undergrad there and decided I wanted to be back in a big city. I relocated to Chicago and have been here for almost two years.

I am getting the bug to move back to California though. I just finished a post undergrad creative advertising school and am now in search of a creative job at an ad agency. I know these are VERY hard to come by, but I think I may have a little more luck in CA than I would here in Chicago (CA has many big cities compared to just having Chicago here in IL).

If I did pack up and move back to California, I would definitely take on some serving jobs while I look for my "dream job." I have plenty of restaurant experience, so hopefully a good serving gig shouldn't be too hard to come by.

What do you think? Would it be a safe bet to move to California... or are there other things I should definitely consider that I am not looking at? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preditor74 View Post
I moved to California (Orange County) right after I graduated highschool eight years ago. I stayed there for about a year but ended up getting really homesick and moving back home (to Nebraska). I finished my undergrad there and decided I wanted to be back in a big city. I relocated to Chicago and have been here for almost two years.

I am getting the bug to move back to California though. I just finished a post undergrad creative advertising school and am now in search of a creative job at an ad agency. I know these are VERY hard to come by, but I think I may have a little more luck in CA than I would here in Chicago (CA has many big cities compared to just having Chicago here in IL).

If I did pack up and move back to California, I would definitely take on some serving jobs while I look for my "dream job." I have plenty of restaurant experience, so hopefully a good serving gig shouldn't be too hard to come by.

What do you think? Would it be a safe bet to move to California... or are there other things I should definitely consider that I am not looking at? Thanks!
What is the unemployment rate in Ca? Have you been following the weekly reports? In a good market maybe things would be different, but right now, you would be lucky to get a job at Micky Ds? There are young and older people on here every week with years of experience in the restaurant business as well as bar tending that can not find jobs in Calif.

Sorry if this sounds like a negative reply, but it is truthful at least. Now, if you have about $10,000 set aside maybe you could swing it.

Nita

Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 AM

352 posts, read 482,836 times
Being born and raised in So CA . I wanna move to a small town . Im sick of
Los Angeles and the smog . The grass is always greener so it seems

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I think you might have better luck in Chicago. Lower unemployment numbers, plus you have a local address and, I assume, contacts. Might as well apply for jobs in both places, though, and see what happens. I don't think it's a "safe bet" to move to California right now, no.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:13 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
The whole "Grass is greener" thing is such a downer. People move, people change cars, people buy different types of clothing all for one reason: A CHANGE! Could you imagine not trying new things simply because you live by the grass isn't greener rule? Sorry but this is one of those old sayings that is ignorant and full of gloom. On a January day when we are all stuck in snow and it's negative 20 and your nasal passages freeze, I would say the grass is for sure a hell of alot greener in California!
I think if someone ANYONE wants to move ANYWHERE, and they have enough money saved up and not afraid to work hard, they should do it. Facts are facts, the CA economy is in shambles, as is the rest of the country. If you wait around for CA's economy to "pick up" you are wasting away the best years of your life. Take a chance and do it, but realize it's a risk. Once our home sells and I get my cut I'll be in a UHaul with a one-way road map to Southern California. Life is short keep the dream alive.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
The whole "Grass is greener" thing is such a downer. People move, people change cars, people buy different types of clothing all for one reason: A CHANGE! Could you imagine not trying new things simply because you live by the grass isn't greener rule? Sorry but this is one of those old sayings that is ignorant and full of gloom. On a January day when we are all stuck in snow and it's negative 20 and your nasal passages freeze, I would say the grass is for sure a hell of alot greener in California!
I think if someone ANYONE wants to move ANYWHERE, and they have enough money saved up and not afraid to work hard, they should do it. Facts are facts, the CA economy is in shambles, as is the rest of the country. If you wait around for CA's economy to "pick up" you are wasting away the best years of your life. Take a chance and do it, but realize it's a risk. Once our home sells and I get my cut I'll be in a UHaul with a one-way road map to Southern California. Life is short keep the dream alive.
you said it yourself: if you have the money. When your house sells, you will have money, but for anyone to move anywhere, especially right now with little or no money and no job is insane!!! You know that!!! Many people are not afraid to work hard but there has to be jobs to for people to work hard.

Nita

Old 09-20-2009, 07:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I agree; it's the "if you have the money" thing that's the problem. I'm all in favor of making changes and taking risks (and have done so myself in the past), but the reality is that California's economy is worse than most of the country (in other words, it's not "just like the rest of the country"). If you have some savings and can run the risk of a significant amount of time of unemployment then maybe it's worth making the move; otherwise the OP might still choose to move, but needs to realize that it's going to be tough, very tough.

And as far as jobs for people who are willing to work hard, I know plenty of people in California (in multiple cities) who are more than willing to work hard but are still having trouble finding jobs.

The OP wanted to know if it's a "safe bet" to move to CA right now; no, it's not, at least not without a job lined up. It's a gamble, but unlike just a couple of years ago the odds are no longer in even the most ambitious jobseeker's favor, and people should at least know what they're risking before they pack up and make a move without a job.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Nita is exactly right. Now is not the time for someone with no resources, no support system, or no professional network to move to California.

If there are funds to live on for 6 to 12 months or more, yes try it.

But when someone expects to find a low level job to live on after they get here, well that sends up red flags. Too many others are competing for those same jobs these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles