Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 AM

25 posts, read 87,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Vegas is thriving economically,
It sure isn't now.

I left for Vegas from L.A., but for work not because I wanted to escape. Vegas ain't bad at all (for the most part) but L.A., for all its faults, is better, I can say that with a straight face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 PM

31 posts, read 62,772 times
L.A. is not so bad i bet you anything New York City is way worse

Old 04-17-2011, 02:34 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonthesun View Post
,,,,So if you're thinking about moving to Cali, I would think hard about what part to move to. If your job is relocating you, I would also think hard, depending on the area.
A one post pony in NY talking about moving to Cali, Columbia. A waste of broadband.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
NYC is probably more desirable but not by much. The population of the metro areas is only a few million apart. LA also has way more space to build. Plus, outside of Manhattan, is housing really that much more expensive than LA/OC? Not really.

You can do the same things in LA that you can in NYC and MORE. NY has crappy beaches, crappy weather 6 months of the year, and terrible Mexican food. Plus it doesn't cost $30 a pop to park or $400 a month for a spot in a building in LA.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:19 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
So then stay in NYC.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 PM

13 posts, read 21,037 times
My wife and I relocated to Los Angeles from NYC back in October because of my job relocation. Yes I work in the entertainment industry ... lol ... seems like evryone does out here. Anyway, so far we really like it out here. We have met so many wonderful people since we moved here and I can't believe how friendly everyone is so far. Yes, I actually expected people to be rude and mean based on what I was told about Los Angeles. But so far this hasn't been the case. And what I also like about meeting new people out here is that everyone seems to be from somwhere else with a unique story to share about their experiences in LA. Yes, it's obvious that traffic is horrendous out here. Yes, I have seen some bad areas in L.A. County and in areas throughout the Inland Empire. But what city in the US doesn't have issues like this? None! It's just part of the experience of living in an incredibly large metro area. The beauty of it all is that there are so many wonderful and beautiful places to see and experience in Los Angeles still. You just know and understand the areas to avoid; it's no different than any other big city.

As for the NYC comments, is Manattan incredibly safe and walkable at most hours of the day/night? Absolutely! The city has made safety a focal point and I never felt unsafe at any time living in NYC. But that doesn't mean there aren't bad areas ... lol. You just avoid them as best you can. I lived in Astoria, Queens, and always felt safe there. But there were plenty of other places in Queens & Brooklyn I did not feel safe in when I was visiting. Again, it's just a part of living in a big city.

But so far my wife and I have enjoyed living in Los Angeles. Is it expensive to own a home here? Yes! But not as much as NYC was. Any affordable housing in the NYC area was mostly in so-so areas that we called ''urban suburban''. And yes these places DO have gang activity as well even though it didn't seem as visible or talked about as it is out here in Los Angeles. Even in most parts of Long Island or New Jersey you're going to have a tough time finding affordable housing without paying through the roof for it. And in Westchester County or Fairfield County, CT, forget it unless you are making a significant income. Crazy but true, you do get more for your money out here.

Anyway, for all of the negatives that are shared on here about LA, and I'm sure they are all valid in one way or another, I actually see a lot of positives as well. It's all relative as we all know. But that's the beauty of being able to share our experiences in this forum.

JB

Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
i think its pretty illuminating to read a 5 year old thread filled with dire predictions about what LA is becoming and how much worse its gonna get- and how funny that it didn't come true.

i have only lived here 6 years, but i feel there is a definite difference between the LA of ten years ago and the LA i know and love (and hate too).
i mean, crime is down HUGELY. i have walked all over this city at night (venice, east LA, los feliz, hollywood, etc) and NEVER had the slightest problem. i feel amazingly safe here- and i don't in atlanta. i really don't.
gangs are largely under control and have sort of integrated themselves into the fabric of the city. downtown has alot of (too much really) gentrification going on now and its the hep place to be. the smog has improved even in the past few years. and people here have ALWAYS been 100 percent fantastic. i never fail to be treated well. any store i walk into, no matter what race or culture, i always have a pleasant experience. its funny how others haven't- maybe it is their own vibe that is causing trouble for them, and not the city itself.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
I go to all parts of LA and its rare to find any issues....if your looking for trouble you can easily find it but usually its in the form of the LAPD.

Last issue I had was just south of "westwood" yes...two guys wanted money and I told them nope. dont have it and kept on walking...and
waiting to see if i needed to execute my chuck norris moves : )

The problems you may see in LA are everywhere throughout the country..LA is bigger and more populated so there is more crime and it moves faster. pack too many rats in a crate and they get anxious.

Too bad we dont have any politicians with a backbone. All they worry about is re-elections and insulting slovenly and greedy citizens taking advantage of our city...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustville702 View Post
It sure isn't now.

I left for Vegas from L.A., but for work not because I wanted to escape. Vegas ain't bad at all (for the most part) but L.A., for all its faults, is better, I can say that with a straight face.
Yeah, ok, hahaha, what a joke. There isn't anything that's better about Los Angeles over Vegas except the summer weather. The weather in general is a near draw considering it's far better in Vegas during the spring (just look at this nonsense 65 garbage while it's 80 and sunny every day in Vegas!).

Taxes? Terrible in CA, and no income / personal taxes in NV.
Nightlife? Well, one city doesn't close its bars, the other closes earlier than any other place I know.
Restaurants? Las Vegas has the most world class chefs of any city in the world, even though it's smaller than Los Angeles. Nuff said.
People? LA voted #1 rudest people.
Crime? A wash, both cities have high-ish crime.
Traffic? Worst in the nation in L.A., no problem in Vegas.
Cost of living? Terrible in L.A., great in Vegas (really cheap all over by this point). Groceries are cheaper, goods and services are cheaper, you get the idea.
Employment? Poor in both cities, better in Los Angeles, but that only matters if you work for someone else -- I own a company, and as a business owner Nevada is the superior state.
Entertainment? You could say it's close, but Vegas wins easily when you realize L.A. has no nightlife and closes its bars at 2. The shows, the "daylife," the Strip, the gambling, there is far more to do in Vegas. There's a reason it's the #1 tourist destination in the U.S.

So, huh? What is it that's better about L.A. exactly? Yeah, nothing!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
The beginning of this thread is nothing but a negative rant about why LA is a terrible place. The thing is that some people will hate a city so much that they will rant about it on a message board. These kinds of people have nothing better to do.

And I don't agree with 65 degrees being garbage. 65 degrees is great It is better than 95 degrees and sunny any day of the week and that's what LA will see starting in July combined with the awful smog and bad air. We don't have enough cloudy days here which is a shame. There's a certain amazing thing about darkness and clouds I don't know what it is but it is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles