Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM

111 posts, read 435,488 times

Advertisements

Before I get too into this, let me begin by saying that I don't live in L.A. I live in Indiana. I considered moving to the L.A. area several years ago, probably 2000 or 2001. I even went far enough to locate a couple apartments that looked like good places to live. One told me that the rent was $625 a month, but by the time I arrived, he expected it to be $700. The other told me $800. Both of these places were affordable with what I was making at the time and I still would have been able to pay my bills and also get out and do enough of the fun stuff without being broke all the time.

I think I was mature about my decision though. I evaluated my options and my own financial circumstances and even though I knew I could afford it at the time, I stayed here in Indiana. I think it was pure emotion that got my thinking about moving there anyway.

Anyway, toward the end of last year, I had a job offer that would have meant moving to L.A. if I took it. My starting salary would have been about $35,000 a year, which is less than I'm making now, but in 3-5 years, I could have been making 65,000+, which is considerably more than I'm currently making.

So once again, I was forced to decide between L.A. and Indiana. I went through my options again and was shocked by the rise in rent rates. I make $19 an hour here and that's more than enough for what I do here in Indiana. Considering I would have taken a pay cut for the first 3-5 years out there, I would have been pretty much lifeless out there, which takes away a huge reason for even considering moving. There's no way I would have been able to afford rent, my bills, gas back and forth since I would still drive, and still be able to get out and do anything that I find somewhat enjoyable.

Keep in mind, I wasn't able to do an extensive search for an apartment this last time as I only had so long to accept or reject the job so I may not have found some nicer, yet affordable places. Looking at this board though, it appears that the places I found were just about average though. Anyway, the reason for posting this isn't to tell my story. My point for telling this was so maybe somebody can avoid making the mistake that I almost made. If you want to live in L.A. or anyplace else for that matter, then by all means do it, but before moving across country, just evaluate your options and your own resources and then decide if you can do it and if you're willing to make any of the sacrifices that such a move will require.

And jc76, while construction is pretty constant in Indianapolis, traffic is rarely stopped because of it. I can't speak for Chicago because I haven't spent enough time there to know, but I'm in Indy daily and I'm rarely stopped for construction. Slowed down, yes. Stopped, no. Accidents are another story. They back up traffic on one interstate or another a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
Before I get too into this, let me begin by saying that I don't live in L.A. I live in Indiana. I considered moving to the L.A. area several years ago, probably 2000 or 2001. I even went far enough to locate a couple apartments that looked like good places to live. One told me that the rent was $625 a month, but by the time I arrived, he expected it to be $700. The other told me $800. Both of these places were affordable with what I was making at the time and I still would have been able to pay my bills and also get out and do enough of the fun stuff without being broke all the time.

I think I was mature about my decision though. I evaluated my options and my own financial circumstances and even though I knew I could afford it at the time, I stayed here in Indiana. I think it was pure emotion that got my thinking about moving there anyway.

Anyway, toward the end of last year, I had a job offer that would have meant moving to L.A. if I took it. My starting salary would have been about $35,000 a year, which is less than I'm making now, but in 3-5 years, I could have been making 65,000+, which is considerably more than I'm currently making.

So once again, I was forced to decide between L.A. and Indiana. I went through my options again and was shocked by the rise in rent rates. I make $19 an hour here and that's more than enough for what I do here in Indiana. Considering I would have taken a pay cut for the first 3-5 years out there, I would have been pretty much lifeless out there, which takes away a huge reason for even considering moving. There's no way I would have been able to afford rent, my bills, gas back and forth since I would still drive, and still be able to get out and do anything that I find somewhat enjoyable.

Keep in mind, I wasn't able to do an extensive search for an apartment this last time as I only had so long to accept or reject the job so I may not have found some nicer, yet affordable places. Looking at this board though, it appears that the places I found were just about average though. Anyway, the reason for posting this isn't to tell my story. My point for telling this was so maybe somebody can avoid making the mistake that I almost made. If you want to live in L.A. or anyplace else for that matter, then by all means do it, but before moving across country, just evaluate your options and your own resources and then decide if you can do it and if you're willing to make any of the sacrifices that such a move will require.

And jc76, while construction is pretty constant in Indianapolis, traffic is rarely stopped because of it. I can't speak for Chicago because I haven't spent enough time there to know, but I'm in Indy daily and I'm rarely stopped for construction. Slowed down, yes. Stopped, no. Accidents are another story. They back up traffic on one interstate or another a lot.
"The mistake you almost made"??? How do you know it would have been a mistake? You never went for it to find out. Sure there are enough horror stories about people relocating, but did you ever think it could have worked out in your favor? Not to sound harsh but you gotta try something before you can call it a mistake. Just my 2 cent on it. Being in Indiana as well I know that it's really easy to be trapped here because the COL is so low, but you get what you pay for. Hoosiers are not really known to be risk takers, we kinda lay in the comfort zone, not all, but many I have noticed because sadly I am one of them.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
"The mistake you almost made"??? How do you know it would have been a mistake? You never went for it to find out. Sure there are enough horror stories about people relocating, but did you ever think it could have worked out in your favor? Not to sound harsh but you gotta try something before you can call it a mistake. Just my 2 cent on it. Being in Indiana as well I know that it's really easy to be trapped here because the COL is so low, but you get what you pay for. Hoosiers are not really known to be risk takers, we kinda lay in the comfort zone, not all, but many I have noticed because sadly I am one of them.
Not saying it would be a mistake for sure, but being that I'm not the type to just go to work, then come home and relax, I don't think that I would be very happy out there. I'm saying that based on the job offer I had and the fact that I would have taken a pay cut for the next 3-5 years. I'm the type that wants to go out and do things and with prices out there right now, then I wouldn't have been able to do that so for me personally, it would have been a bad idea, which is the same as a mistake. Had I moved out there in 2000 or 2001, then I may love it. The timing was actually better for me to move out there then, but it would have been an emotional decision, not something with any rhyme or reason behind it.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Is the Eagle poster kidding? I lived in LA for 20 yrs and the only thing I ever saw was a carjacking from a quite a distance.

We lived in West LA and still have a condo near San Diego, never got broken into, didn't see gangs.

Yes traffic at certain times and in certain areas is bad, that is why you try and live to close to wear you work if you're smart.

I think someone is watching too much TV.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:14 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
Not saying it would be a mistake for sure, but being that I'm not the type to just go to work, then come home and relax, I don't think that I would be very happy out there. I'm saying that based on the job offer I had and the fact that I would have taken a pay cut for the next 3-5 years. I'm the type that wants to go out and do things and with prices out there right now, then I wouldn't have been able to do that so for me personally, it would have been a bad idea, which is the same as a mistake. Had I moved out there in 2000 or 2001, then I may love it. The timing was actually better for me to move out there then, but it would have been an emotional decision, not something with any rhyme or reason behind it.

I think you made a mistake by staying in the Midwest and not trying LA out when you had the chance(s). So many people I know and grew up with in the Midwest got stuck there - some of them don't even have the desire to explore other regions. That blows my mind.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I think you made a mistake by staying in the Midwest and not trying LA out when you had the chance(s). So many people I know and grew up with in the Midwest got stuck there - some of them don't even have the desire to explore other regions. That blows my mind.
Well like I said, for me it would have been a mistake this last time I had the chance. The first time I had the chance, I probably should have taken it, but I didn't and I've learned to live with it.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM

10 posts, read 17,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanUK View Post
What really goes on in the L.A celebrity scene? The media portrays it as a glamorous city filled with stars and it's the city of dreams, but when you look into old LA (Marilyn Monroe time) you can see that it wasn't so glamorous then, there were drugs, crime and dodgy "behind-the-scenes" scenarios.

What REALLY goes on in Los Angeles? What's it REALLY like?

It can't be so glamorous...can it?

Post your stories here :-)
I've been involved in the Celeb. scene and have known high-up politicians & their "friends" & can tell you it is just like those old 'Marilyn Monroe' days as you call it. Glamorous? There is a lot of drugs esp. Cocaine, a lot of sex and cheating, a lot of weird spiritualism (I use that term very loosly) and a lot of political corruption . Amongst the movers & shakers you will find hugely talented people, you will find lowlifes, and the not-so-rare in L.A. hugely-talented lowlife.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:06 PM

276 posts, read 1,019,048 times
"What REALLY goes on in Los Angeles? What's it REALLY like?"

It is amazing that folk (like you) seem so intrigued with this city! You fall for all the hype you read, and you romanticize the "Hollywood" experience.

We have dreadful fires! We have awful traffic! We have earthquakes! We go to work! We play! We surf, we go to the beach, we go to the snow and ski, we hike in the mountains, We have gangs! We have murders, muggings, thieves, the homeless. Some came here and have become stars! Some have come and never made it (most of the folks), so they wait tables, wash cars, or work at other jobs. We have great people and some God awful people (most of those are not natives of Los Angeles!)

No matter what the city is about folks seem to relocate to the City of The Angels
month after month from other places on the planet. Whatever we are about (good or bad) it is enough to make people want to come here!

Now, that is SOME of the truth about Los Angeles, ok?

You coming or what

Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
So many people I've known moved to LA and got stuck there - most of them don't even have the desire to explore other regions. That blows MY mind!

And,yes, all of the scummy stuff that went on in the "old days" still goes on.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
So many people I've known moved to LA and got stuck there - most of them don't even have the desire to explore other regions. That blows MY mind!
In addition, people born in California don't leave. It's the fourth "stickiest" state in terms of the percentage of natives who are still living there.

http://pewsocialtrends.org/assets/pd...nd-Stayers.pdf (see page 12 of the report)

If someone wants to live among people from all around the U.S., California shouldn't be their first choice. The biggest "magnet states" are Nevada, Arizona, Alaska, and Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles