Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
I'm from California, and it seems every job I've had in LA is full of transplants. At my current office, I'm the only person originally from here. I believe not many leave, but it seems like a lot of people come to the metro centers. LA, SD, SF.
Well, your individual experience may vary from the other 37 million people who live in California.

No offense intended. The statistics are what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
No offense taken, but it's always been said that its hard to find an actual native californian in cities like LA, San Diego, and San Francisco.
Well, apparently, it's even harder to find natives in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Anchorage, and Orlando.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
It's been my experience in both LA and SF (and my friends' experiences in SD) that there are tons of people living in these cities, at least, who are originally from other states and countries. California may indeed be a sticky state, but it's also a magnet state, and I think that's pretty clear from one look around in the big cities. In LA both my husband and I worked with a lot of transplants as well as native Californians. In my office, non-native Californians outnumbered those born in the state. That same Pew study also says that 38% of people living in California were born elsewhere. I am guessing that that number goes way up in the major cities, as places like San Francisco, LA, and San Diego are all highly desirable places to live that in years past, anyway, had a lot of job opportunities.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 AM

304 posts, read 931,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanUK View Post
What really goes on in the L.A celebrity scene? The media portrays it as a glamorous city filled with stars and it's the city of dreams, but when you look into old LA (Marilyn Monroe time) you can see that it wasn't so glamorous then, there were drugs, crime and dodgy "behind-the-scenes" scenarios.

What REALLY goes on in Los Angeles? What's it REALLY like?

It can't be so glamorous...can it?

Post your stories here :-)
I was born and raised here. I have lived here and elsewhere and I have recently returned.

It is a gigantic city. It can be fabulous and frustrating, just like life.

It does not take 5 hours to cross town, but transportation can be an issue if you live and work in areas far from each other.

It is the center of the film making business and so in that way is a company town. The housing stock is varied from the most humble to the most glamorous. There are more restaurants than you can eat at in a lifetime. There is every ethnicity and every language spoken here.

In 2+ hours you can be in the snow, the desert, the ocean, or Mexico depending on your starting point.

The weather is terrific. There are many good theatres, tourist attractions, views, and fun things to see and do. There are many many travellers from Europe.

For those who only see crime and upset, I suspect they would see that pretty much anywhere they go.

Welcome to LA!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
That same Pew study also says that 38% of people living in California were born elsewhere. I am guessing that that number goes way up in the major cities, as places like San Francisco, LA, and San Diego are all highly desirable places to live that in years past, anyway, had a lot of job opportunities.
Absolutely. People who live in certain parts of the big cities look around and think that their situation represents the state as a whole when it really doesn't. Sure, if you live and work in Hollywood, you're going to meet a ton of people from other states, but we can't forget about huge areas of L.A. County where there aren't so many newcomers from other states. Areas like La Habra, Cypress, West Covina, much of the Inland Empire - these are areas where, my guess is, most of the residents were born and raised in California.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. People who live in certain parts of the big cities look around and think that their situation represents the state as a whole when it really doesn't. Sure, if you live and work in Hollywood, you're going to meet a ton of people from other states, but we can't forget about huge areas of L.A. County where there aren't so many newcomers from other states. Areas like La Habra, Cypress, West Covina, much of the Inland Empire - these are areas where, my guess is, most of the residents were born and raised in California.
I can vouch for this one. (La Habra and Cypress are in Orange County, by the way)

I was born in Glendale and spent the vast majority of my childhood in Whittier and La Habra. While not having ever done a statistical study on my elementary/high school populations, I can say that while many have stayed in the area, a number have left for other parts of the state or even other states.

One of my sisters moved to Seattle, while the other stayed here, married and had a family.

Maybe, as in my family, it's a "2:1" ratio; 2 out of 3 stay, but 1 leaves?

Just my $.015.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,262 times
its a place to have money..for dreamers..for black lungers..stupid people , stuck in a hamster wheel..where you cant buy a tomato with any flavor..where things will cost you too much, suck you time and waste it. its good for watching t.v the entertainment isnt worth anything.. the music is from yesterday.. where things dont change ,, with too many rules..with women that wont give you sex. that look sexy to be to busy, or bull****, with no redlights..and full of frustrations and problems.. with a filthy ocean, and a beach with no one on it. l.a is a huge highway, freeway , air port zone. hispanic majority.. and a mish mash of alot of ugly people.. nice 80 million dollar homes... some good weather..posibilities to learn anything, with a price..where you need car insurance because you cant afford to fix anything and dental insurance because the prices are ridiculous and doctor insurance because it isnt affordable.. l.a is a good place to leave. i know because i spent 20 years traveling around the world and didnt miss it at all..ingie bingie

Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
People also tend to forget the Gateway cities(Whittier, Downey, Bellflower, Cerritos,Lakewood) and the vast majority of the residents are born and raised Californians, along with the South Bay cities. LA county actually has one of the lowest internal migrations of any city on the West Coast. Where the majority of transplants go(Westside/Hollywood) make up a small percentage of LA.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingie bingie View Post
its a place to have money..for dreamers..for black lungers..stupid people , stuck in a hamster wheel..where you cant buy a tomato with any flavor..where things will cost you too much, suck you time and waste it. its good for watching t.v the entertainment isnt worth anything.. the music is from yesterday.. where things dont change ,, with too many rules..with women that wont give you sex. that look sexy to be to busy, or bull****, with no redlights..and full of frustrations and problems.. with a filthy ocean, and a beach with no one on it. l.a is a huge highway, freeway , air port zone. hispanic majority.. and a mish mash of alot of ugly people.. nice 80 million dollar homes... some good weather..posibilities to learn anything, with a price..where you need car insurance because you cant afford to fix anything and dental insurance because the prices are ridiculous and doctor insurance because it isnt affordable.. l.a is a good place to leave. i know because i spent 20 years traveling around the world and didnt miss it at all..ingie bingie
Why don't you just leave?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingie bingie View Post
Nah, gotta disagree with you there.

LA is probably one of a handful of cities where there aren't that many ugly people.

You must be talking about San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles