U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:04 PM

49 posts, read 238,487 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a middle aged single boomer woman and don't know anyone in Ca. I'm considering moving 'cuz I hate DALLAS (though cost of living is really, really low) and my company is being sold off from its parent (though I don't know what the outcome for me will be). I've been interviewing for a job in Northridge. Is this a place I could "start over" and stay? I've never made friends easily though I'm o.k. in small groups. I could afford mid $300K for a condo, so what towns would be decent commutes (if I can't find something in Northridge) and decent to live in? ...would any of you take the job offer based on what you know about living in LA...especially if you're close to my age and situation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 09:48 PM

6,565 posts, read 16,528,855 times
Be very, very careful of where you move. Check out the area thoroughly, and at all times of the day and night. If you have a good support system in Dallas, you might want to stay there, because it's difficult to get to know your neighbors around here. Everyone is so busy working and commuting that many neighbors never get beyond, "Hi, how are you?"

If you can find a condo in the $300,000 range in Northridge, it's probably going to be tiny, or in a bad area. I'm sorry to give you the bad news. Condos across the street from me start at $385,000.

If you're in reasonably good health, and don't mind uprooting your life to move across the country, then go for it. There are lots of things to do here - free concerts in the summer, etc. You might want to rent, though, until you decide whether or not you want to stay permanently.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:45 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,971,807 times
I was just condo shopping. I found a few really decent (1 bedroom, not studio) condos in areas I actually wanted to live. A few were in in Pasadena, walking distance to Old Pasadena. They were totally charming. They were sub 300k and up. I tend to go for older buildings. I found a few others I liked in Long Beach but decided against living there as it's far from all my friends and family. You can buy a beachfront condo in a gothic highrise landmark from the 300's there. It's a buyer's market and prices are way down from where they were. There are a few downtown lofts in the low 300's. You'll either love it or loathe it down there. My advice, (same as Sandy)...choose wisely and be very, very careful about where you settle.

I think L.A. is a great place to start over. Many do it and there are a plethora of opportunities should you choose to take advantage of them.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:40 AM

153 posts, read 609,285 times
Default Starting over

I don't know....I agree with some of what the other posters said. But are you looking to date? It's pathetically hard here for women in ANY age group. There's really no social support for people, even through spiritual means and although I grew up here (in L.A. proper-the Westside), I have to say that people are just not friendly here. Oh, they're friendly enough, but to make real, lasting friendships and intimate realtionships, it's tough. It's a tough place; tough on the psyche. There are lots of things to do, that's true. But you'll probably be doing most of those things alone. If you can find a place to buy, go for it, but consider everything you're looking for in a "quality of life".

Old 05-09-2007, 10:20 AM

5,835 posts, read 4,556,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
I don't know....I agree with some of what the other posters said. But are you looking to date? It's pathetically hard here for women in ANY age group. There's really no social support for people, even through spiritual means and although I grew up here (in L.A. proper-the Westside), I have to say that people are just not friendly here. Oh, they're friendly enough, but to make real, lasting friendships and intimate realtionships, it's tough. It's a tough place; tough on the psyche. There are lots of things to do, that's true. But you'll probably be doing most of those things alone. If you can find a place to buy, go for it, but consider everything you're looking for in a "quality of life".
Northridge is in an epicenter of earthquakes. Do you remember hearing about the Northridge earthquake in 1994? Other than that it is a very suburban area with families or college kids living as cheaply as possible near campus. There is a large mall and tons of strip malls like the rest of the valley. If I was a single woman starting over (I am 50) and wanted to date and live a quality life, California, especially Southern California would not be on my list. Have grown up in the Valley which is what part of Northridge is and it is disgusting. Unless you can afford a condo in the $500-600 range you are going to live in a sub-par area. There are no places to meet good men and the men here in particular prefer twenty something girls to women their own age. Substance doesn't usually stand out, just fake boobs. If it were me, I would try areas like Boston with great areas for singles, a great city with a lot of choices and more substance that what you will find here. These are my own opinions and I respect those that will disagree.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM

34 posts, read 170,885 times
Think very hard before you make this move. Could be a great move, however I'm sure it will be challenging, none the less. If you take a job in Northridge, you will probably end up living in "The Valley" (Northridge area). It's congested suburban spraw. What everyone says about LA is true, you will live in your car. Commuting is no fun in LA. Every major city has traffic, but LA it is a different feel. Freeways can be packed at all hours of six lanes of traffic, ok, maybe not at 3:00am, but ya get my point. You'll spend lots of time on surface streets, only to come to the next traffic light a mile up and stop and wait then go. I've master the grid of surface streets in LA and buzz around in my jeep pretty easily, but I've got to tell ya after a day of traversing these streets, I'm beat!

Most folks find their niche here. If ya work in the Valley and live in the Valley, you will probably hang most of your time in the Valley. I live in West Hollywood, so my hang places are Hollywood, West Hollywood, Mid-Wilshire, etc.

So many of my friends elsewhere, say LA people are fake. Their not fake, this is real, maybe surreal or superficial to some. There is every ethnicity and income level here in this sprawl. One has to really work at finding close friends, connections, basically your grove here. It will not fall into your lap here.

Is the Entertainment crowd your grove, maybe a particular ethnic group. Your moving to a place where the LA county population is over 4Million people and the entire greater LA area is about 14 Million, give or take, and trust me it feels even bigger! In NYC it is contained, not here.

You need to basically ask yourself "what is not right about Dallas and your life there"? Then once you have that answer, you need to figure if that answer can be found by moving to LA. If yes, go for it, if no, don't move, if unsure...be sure before moving to LA!

Basically what I tell friends around the country. If you desire to work in the Entertainment Industry and make it big, you need to come to LA at some point, or possibly NYC. If you grew up here or went to school here, that's a different story, ya got roots. Other than that, there are so many other places of better quality of life, within California and elsewhere.

Last edited by friendlyflyer; 05-09-2007 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,086 times
Hi I didn't even check the date as to whether or not this may be far to late in response. Maybe you made a move and maybe you haven't.....I am going through much the same thing and I'm 53, a young 53. I have lived the past 32 years in Los Angeles, both on the west side and in the Valley. I am currently "staying" in Ventura County.
I wouldn't worry about the people you meet or socialize with because you will probably draw what is right for you. You will find all kinds of people no matter where you move. I have considered San Francisco and Austin, even New York and Boston. Crazy but I'm still working on it. The problem for me is that my adult daughters have both recently married and the oldest just announced she is pregnant. Now my thinking is a little skewed considering I want to know my grandchildren...."yet" I need to do what is good for me and my future as well. Maybe we should "talk" and compare notes. I think I "see" you because our search is so similar. Los Angeles isn't a bad place to live......I happen to really like Ventura County....Camarillo all the way to Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez Valley......"sideways' territory. Anyway good luck.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM

16,799 posts, read 36,726,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nansbo View Post
Hi I didn't even check the date as to whether or not this may be far to late in response.
It is. That and she never came back and participated in her own topic. This one should be locked forever.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,018,148 times
I imagine Linda Sue is still in Dallas.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 AM

16,799 posts, read 36,726,426 times
Apparently not. Look at her most recent posts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles