U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,526,765 times

Advertisements

I too suggest Torrance (not sure if you moved yet), since it has good schools, but not too expensive an area for good schools. It is not in the LA School District (LAUSD), so that's part of the school issue, the surrounding areas (Hawthorne, Gardena, etc...) are LAUSD. The beach cities have their own schools, but they are expensive places to live.

The other thing to realize is that what you spend on utilities will most likely be less than Indiana, since there are fewer temp extremes, especially near the ocean, you can get away without A/C much and less heating requirements. So you can adjust your budget somewhat. I lived in West Lafayette, so I know about the weather there.

Last edited by f_m; 12-06-2009 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,960,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks6 View Post
Would 1500 a month be expecting too much in good areas?
One other option to 1) Not wipe himself out in a commute and 2) find a place in an outlying area for potentially lower rents is the areas east of the intersection (Green Line Norwalk Station) of the 105 and 605 freeways. Why? Because all he'd have to do is get to that intersection and then take a light rail Green Line train (30 minutes) straight to El Segundo.

So, look at this School Perfomance Maps view. Notice there is a vein of decent looking schools from Lakewood northeast through Artesia/Cerritos through Fullerton/Brea/Yorba Linda.

California School Performance Maps

Use this

HousingMaps for three bedrooms in your price range.

This might provide the best liklihood of 1) Keeping his commute sane, 2) finding decent schools and 3) finding housing in your budget.

Here's are two examples which may meet requirements:

2ba Newly Renovated Home In Fullerton For Rent!!! (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/apa/1497221710.html - broken link) (schools might not be acceptable though)

2BATH/2CAR GARAGE – GARDENER-TRASH PAID-PRIVATE PATIO/YARD STYLE (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/apa/1497036123.html - broken link) (schools look good but it's a little farther out from YL to 105/605, total commute time is an hour at least)

from this view

HousingMaps

Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 AM
JRE

70 posts, read 289,130 times
Before moving to Los Angeles County, try to find the location of old dumps (landfills). Many have been built on and most contain carcinogenic chemicals. The following closed dumps are in the Torrance and Wilmington communities:
TORRANCE
Torrance City Dump, 1800 Plaza Del Amo
Pacific Smelting, 2316 Abalone Avenue
Montrose Chemical Corp., 20201 Normandie Avenue
National Supply Co., 20925 S. Royal Boulevard
Royal Boulevard Dump, 20950 S. Royal Boulevard
Cadillac Fairview, 20301 S. Vermont Avenue
Gardena Valley Dump No. 4, Torrance Boulevard & Vermont Avenue
Redondo Beach Municipal Dump, 1400 Beryl Street
City of Redondo Beach, northwest of Hawthorne & 190th Street
Union Carbide, 3651 Del Amo Boulevard
Torrance Municipal Dump, 20466 Madrona Street
Landfill Associates, 2200 W. Artesia Boulevard
Standard Oil Co. Dump, southeast of Sepulveda Boulevard & Hawthorne Boulevard
Cassidy Dump, 3300 Newton Street
Torrance Gravel Pit, 300 feet east of Madison Street, 500 feet south of Newton Street
County Parks & Recreation Dump, 3136 W. Manhattan Beach Boulevard
WILMINGTON
101 Disposal Company Dump, 25875 S. Normandie Avenue
L. A. City Transfer, 26025 S. Normandie Avenue
K & S Rubbish Dump, 26300 S. Vermont Avenue
City Disposal Company Dump, 300 feet north of Anaheim Street, 800 feet east of Vermont Avenue
Adivari Disposal, Inc., 1733 Robidoux Street
Lomita & Frigate Dump, 140 W. Lomita Boulevard
California Salvage Co., 217 N. Lagoon
Port Disposal, 1702 Eubank Avenue
Soil Management Method, Inc., Wilmington & Lomita Boulevard
City Disposal, 1200 E. Lomita Boulevard
Hardwick Disposal, 1501 North Blinn Avenue
Port Land Reclamation Co., 1402 E. Lomita Boulevard
Church Dump, Sandison Street & Blinn Avenue
Ascon Landfill, 1605 N. Alameda Street
BKK-Cherokee-Basin By-Products, 3021 East I Street
T.C.L. Dump, Anaheim Street & Terminal Island Freeway
Koppers Co., 210 S. Avalon Boulevard
TCL Corp./Champlin Oil, 420 Henry Ford Avenue

Old 12-07-2009, 03:22 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,338,562 times
you are very misinformed, particularly about culver city.
i would not take this posters words seriously.
enough said.

torrance and carson might be good areas, but you have to find something that fits.

do you want a walkable neighborhood? lots of parks. churches? what does small town look and feel like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetraq View Post
Culver city is horrible, its gang ridden and filthy and i live in reseda so thats saying something.

In terms of budgeting, i pay about $3000 a month and thats before i even pay for food or gas for the car, thats my rent, and all my bills. I live in reseda, my rent is $1500 a month (2br), but i live in the valley, you're looking at LA proper. I have two young daughters and am married.

So i'd look at $3000 as the start, it'll probably rise from there for you guys.

A word of advice though, i would never raise my kids in this crap-hole city if i had a choice, my job also relocated me.

For a family there really is nothing for you in LA, the culture (or lack thereof) shock of rural america to LA is going to be crucifying for you and your family.

In this job market i guess there is nothing you can do, which is sad.

Sorry to be so negative, i've lived here for 10 months now, and we make it ok, i grew up in london, so i guess LA seems cheaptastic in comparison.

And yes the public schools are crap, they are filled with people that cannot speak english as the majority, its not a racist statement just a fact, another fact is the majority of minorities drop out of our public schools here (heard that on npr this lunchtime). I can attest to this, my daughters elementary school is now in the "no child left behind" program, the teacher is clearly checked out.

We are moving to Calabasas in a couple of months, much nicer there and far better schools, but too far for you guys i'm assuming.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM

305 posts, read 822,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks6 View Post
We are relocating to LA from rural Indiana. We have four daughters, ages ranging from 16 to 2yrs old. My husband's job is transferring him to LAX. We need a decent neighborhood to rent a 3 bedroom house or apartment that has decent schools. And safe. That won't be a really long commute for him. Realize the rent is going to be outrageous in comparison to our mortgage here, but hope it won't be too high. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
------------------------------

Welcome to LA in advance! Glad you are coming here.

The best schools near LAX are in Torrance. You want to be in Torrance west of Western Ave. (east of Western Ave the schools are run by LAUSD and they are over run with students).

The closer toward the beach, the better. Sounds like you need a 5 bedroom home. ;-)

Large homes in Torrance go for from $400,000 to over a million.
Rental homes w 5 bedrooms go for $3500 - 5000 a month. Does that meet with your needs?

Hope this helps.
:-)

Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,960,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffavail View Post

Large homes in Torrance go for from $400,000 to over a million.
There are exactly three non short sales 5+ BR homes for sale in Torrance at $779K, $1.195M and $1.299M.

The cheapest, at $779K ($294/sqft) was built in 1973, its 2648 square feet sit on a tiny 5775 square foot lot. No air conditioning either.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,843,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
you are very misinformed, particularly about culver city.
i would not take this posters words seriously.
enough said.

torrance and carson might be good areas, but you have to find something that fits.

do you want a walkable neighborhood? lots of parks. churches? what does small town look and feel like?
Torrance: yes. Walteria: small town feel... Not sure if that's still so but it once was true... Easily bus-able if not walkable.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 PM

11 posts, read 19,244 times
I am truly overwhelmed with all of the information! lol But it is great. I have been taking notes on all of the advice and websites and am still chin deep in planning. We have not moved yet, unfortunately there is a freeze on relocation/promotions until the 1st of the year. My husband will more than likely be on midnights or 3 - 11. So that may make a difference in commute?
Small town to me would be a nice neighborhood, with parks or playgrounds, parent involvement in school and neighborhood activities. Walkable and friendly. Guess thats a lot to ask for?

Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 AM

3,932 posts, read 7,516,485 times
Cerritos? There would be a few apartments in your price range.

And yes, your husband working one of those shifts will make a huge difference in his commute.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 AM

436 posts, read 772,215 times
Well get used to poorly run over crowded schools, they are closing 3 schools in the Santa Clarita aeara alone, not to mention other closings that will happen.
The state Government has ruined this state for at least the next decade, if I could move I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or