U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 PM

11 posts, read 19,279 times

Advertisements

OK! Big update. The jobs are posting this week! We will know in less than a month if we are moving. My husband will more than likely be on the 1pm to 10pm shift or midnights. He is fairly positive that he will be getting the job at LAX. He is willing to commute up to an hour to work. Safety and decent schools within our budget are the priority. I will be driving out with him and then flying back to start packing. He will need temporary housing for about 2 months then we will be heading out. Culture shock here we come! But we are looking at it as an adventure with all of your good advice as our guides! LOL
I have been using the HousingMaps sight and found a house at this address: 2923 S Hobart Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90018
Have no idea what neighborhood this is.
I am looking in all directions right now. My biggest issue is finding the neighborhoods suggested, lol.

Last edited by brooks6; 01-07-2010 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:46 AM

23 posts, read 85,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks6 View Post
My husband will more than likely be on the 1pm to 10pm shift or midnights. He is fairly positive that he will be getting the job at LAX. He is willing to commute up to an hour to work.
Just to broaden your options, you might also want to consider the transportation services that LAX offers. For example, the FlyAway service (LAX FlyAway Bus) has an employee monthly pass. Every time I use it to go to LAX (or come back from it), there are always some LAX employees using it. The buses are nice, and your husband won't have to deal with traffic. One station is at Union Station, which means he can use the train to get to the FlyAway bus if you guys decide to move somewhere farther (the FlyAway service accepts the Metro EZ Transit Pass, I believe, which is used for Metro buses and the light rail trains).

At 1 PM, there's probably some traffic near LAX. Other than that, an hour commute is a pretty big radius (if driving).

Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 PM

17,446 posts, read 24,005,262 times
Quote:
OK! Big update. The jobs are posting this week! We will know in less than a month if we are moving. My husband will more than likely be on the 1pm to 10pm shift or midnights. He is fairly positive that he will be getting the job at LAX. He is willing to commute up to an hour to work. Safety and decent schools within our budget are the priority. I will be driving out with him and then flying back to start packing. He will need temporary housing for about 2 months then we will be heading out. Culture shock here we come! But we are looking at it as an adventure with all of your good advice as our guides! LOL
I have been using the HousingMaps sight and found a house at this address: 2923 S Hobart Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90018
Have no idea what neighborhood this is.
I am looking in all directions right now. My biggest issue is finding the neighborhoods suggested, lol.
I would only consider something on Hobart if it was in Los Feliz (which is 90027). And even in Los Feliz, which IMO is the nicest part of L.A., schools are an issue because it's in LAUSD.

If I had kids I DEFINITELY would not live in West Adams which is where the address you described is! It's a very historic area of L.A. but it has more than its share of "issues". Prior to the real estate crash it was starting to become gentrified - some referred to it as "the African-American Silver Lake" - and if the economy picks up the gentrification's likely to resume, but it's not a place for kids. The danger levels of that area do vary block by block and street by street (true in much of L.A.)

BTW totally ignore what Firetraq said about Culver City which is as safe and clean as anywhere in L.A. County, at least east of the 405. Used to live there and would gladly live there again if I moved back "down south". The schools aren't what they used to be and are not on the level of Beverly Hills, Burbank, or Santa Monica but they're better than LAUSD and I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids there if I had kids. I would NOT send my kids to ANY LAUSD comprehensive school no matter what neighborhood I was living in if I was a parent! Sending kids to an LAUSD comprehensive is a form of child abuse imo.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM

So I am starting to get very discouraged. The only jobs available for him right now are at LAX! I was told last night not to bring my kids to live in LA unless my husband made well over $100K bc we would not be able to afford to live in a safe neighborhood. Is this true? Any Advice welcome.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,129,522 times
Quote:
So I am starting to get very discouraged. The only jobs available for him right now are at LAX! I was told last night not to bring my kids to live in LA unless my husband made well over $100K bc we would not be able to afford to live in a safe neighborhood. Is this true? Any Advice welcome.
What is your housing budget? You can afford a $3M dollar home on a $100K salary - if you put down $2.8M. So, salary isn't the only thing that determines housing affordability.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 PM

17,446 posts, read 24,005,262 times
Quote:
Not true.

You'll be able to afford a condo in a safe neighborhood, or be able to afford to rent in a safe neighborhood.

Just forget about SFR ownership and you'll be OK.

As for not bringing your kids to live in LA: don't bring them to live in an LAUSD area unless you make a huge amount of money. But not everywhere in LA County is LAUSD

Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,129,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not true.

You'll be able to afford a condo in a safe neighborhood, or be able to afford to rent in a safe neighborhood.

Just forget about SFR ownership and you'll be OK.

As for not bringing your kids to live in LA: don't bring them to live in an LAUSD area unless you make a huge amount of money. But not everywhere in LA County is LAUSD

I'd agree with this except I think SFR is possible depending on budget for housing. Also, might be challenging to go town home or condo with four kids.

Here's a five bedroom SFR in Torrance for $759K:

2423 West 232ND St, Torrance, CA 90501 | MLS# V09093830

Here's four bedrooms SFR in Torrance for $575K

2435 CHAPMAN St, Lomita, CA 90717 | MLS# S09106723

There are SFR homes around $500K in Los Alamitos, Westminster, and Huntington Beach. Reasonably safe, OK schools, and a tolerable commute.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 PM

4,138 posts, read 8,714,609 times
Anyone paying attention to the hours her husband is working? Commute won't be a problem.

I'm not positive, but I'm thinking your options are much more wide open with those working hours.

I suggest looking in the following areas:

Santa Clarita/Valencia - Schools are nice and its a much nicer community than Los Angeles. Your money will go much farther here in terms of rent. The downside is a long commute due to distance. Leaving home at noon, he should have no problem being at work by 1pm. On the return drive, its around 30-40 minutes I think. I found several 3 bed/2ba townhomes and condos for rent at $1500-2000 a month.

Lakewood - As another poster suggested. Some good schools and a nice area for the most part. You may be able to find something nicer here than on the Westside. Non rush hour to LAX is around a 20 minute drive. I found 1 3 BR/2BA home for rent for $1800 a month

Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. It is easy to get negative about such a big move. We will only be renting while in California. Not planning on selling our property in Indiana. Our families live there and we love our land. We have 40 wooded acres that is only 40 minutes from Indianapolis. So we will be paying our mortgage and renting. Another reason why budget, safety, and schools has become very very crucial. Ideally I would like to pay less than $1500. But that may not be possible. Can't wait to get out there and get the feel of things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or