Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 AM

12 posts, read 20,599 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I'm originally from AZ but have lived in London for 15 years. I have an English husband and two small children. We're thinking about relocating back to the States and are considering CA. While my husband would prefer northern CA, I'd prefer south to be closer to my family in AZ (we've ruled out San Diego as he just doesn't like it - not 'European' enough for him!).

I'm hoping you can make some suggestions on some potential places for us to check out when we'll be visiting this December. We don't want to swap one city for another so we're not looking to be in the hub of things. We like to think we're progressive, cosmopolitan people. We don't want to be out in the sticks, but we do want our kids to be able to ride their bikes (something they couldn't do here in London). We're both freelance (I'm a writer and he's a photographer) and we'll need decent access to LA - I can't see us commuting every day though (couldn't bear too much traffic as that's what we have here in London).

On the map, Pasadena and areas to the east look good but we've never actually been! Good schools are very important too as is nature (not loads of it but definitely more than we see here in London).

Sorry if I'm rambling. But I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Cost wise, once we sell up our place in London, we'd be looking at being able to buy a place for $600-700k (that's one good thing about moving from one expensive area to another!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:39 AM

687 posts, read 1,111,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
Hi everyone

I'm originally from AZ but have lived in London for 15 years. I have an English husband and two small children. We're thinking about relocating back to the States and are considering CA. While my husband would prefer northern CA, I'd prefer south to be closer to my family in AZ (we've ruled out San Diego as he just doesn't like it - not 'European' enough for him!).

I'm hoping you can make some suggestions on some potential places for us to check out when we'll be visiting this December. We don't want to swap one city for another so we're not looking to be in the hub of things. We like to think we're progressive, cosmopolitan people. We don't want to be out in the sticks, but we do want our kids to be able to ride their bikes (something they couldn't do here in London). We're both freelance (I'm a writer and he's a photographer) and we'll need decent access to LA - I can't see us commuting every day though (couldn't bear too much traffic as that's what we have here in London).

On the map, Pasadena and areas to the east look good but we've never actually been! Good schools are very important too as is nature (not loads of it but definitely more than we see here in London).

Sorry if I'm rambling. But I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Cost wise, once we sell up our place in London, we'd be looking at being able to buy a place for $600-700k (that's one good thing about moving from one expensive area to another!).
Since you are both self-employed and the L.A. job market sucks, if you insist on moving here, I would rent before buying to get the feel for a neighborhood. Here we have suburbs which other's may call the sticks. Pasadena is very nice and not inexpensive either. 600k will buy you a modest 3 bedroom home. What about L.A. is "European" to your husband? When I think of a city that is European I think of places like Boston that was built by Europeans. To get the most for your money regardless of style and to be close to L.A. for a family I would suggest Studio City which has actual neighborhoods where your kids could ride their bikes, preferably in a cul-de-sac. But again, I strongly suggest that you rent wherever you land first!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:56 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,625,056 times
Take a look at South Pasadena. It's adjacent to Pasadena, but has better schools and a quieter, more child bike-friendly streets and sidewalks. Search this forum for more details, as it gets suggested frequently for people looking for good schools. Tree-lined streets, beautiful older homes, a nice downtown area, nice sense of community, great parks, excellent public schools, wild parrots in the trees, lots of progressive people, and easy access to downtown LA by light rail (or to Old Pasadena by bus, light rail, bike ride, or short bike ride), nice farmer's market on Thursdays, tons of independent small stores. Lots of writers and photographers in South Pas, too. Pasadena is great, but many people aren't comfortable with the public schools.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:47 PM

191 posts, read 584,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Take a look at South Pasadena. It's adjacent to Pasadena, but has better schools and a quieter, more child bike-friendly streets and sidewalks. Search this forum for more details, as it gets suggested frequently for people looking for good schools. Tree-lined streets, beautiful older homes, a nice downtown area, nice sense of community, great parks, excellent public schools, wild parrots in the trees, lots of progressive people, and easy access to downtown LA by light rail (or to Old Pasadena by bus, light rail, bike ride, or short bike ride), nice farmer's market on Thursdays, tons of independent small stores. Lots of writers and photographers in South Pas, too. Pasadena is great, but many people aren't comfortable with the public schools.
You left out "expensive as hell."

Old 10-16-2009, 06:28 PM

355 posts, read 1,474,486 times
Yeah for real, LOL. 600-700K still won't buy you **** in any high quality area. And "good" schools? FLOL. Better look VERY carefully if you're thinking of any public schools in areas at the 600-700K range. Never mind excellent/exceptional schools, of which public ones at that level are extremely rare. Practically non-existent.

My advice would definitely be to rent. You will get a LOT more for far less, in a better area, and with what you save renting versus owning (owing is more appropriate), you can save/invest as well as pay for some good to great or even excellent/exceptional private schools for the kiddies. SoCal prices still have a LONG way to drop in the decent to prime areas, and GRMs, Price to Income ratios etc. are still extremely high.

Meaning you will pay MUCH less to rent versus to own for a comparable home.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:46 PM

I'd second the rental recommendation. You'll definitely get far more for your money when you rent.

As far as South Pasadena being expensive, it's not too bad when you rent; the buying is where it gets really expensive. You can get more for your money in Pasadena, but many people don't like PUSD schools. I like Alhambra a lot too, or at least parts of it, but am not sure about the schools. (Alhambra is also in the San Gabriel Valley, right next to South Pasadena)

Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 PM

191 posts, read 584,082 times
Burbank would be a perfect fit. Plenty of posts on here about it.

I'd recommend Magnolia Park area, which is flat with grid-style streets, lots of parks, very LA accessible with mass transit, good schools (better than pas, much better than lausd, not as good as south pas), progressive, family friendly with a heavy helping of retro hip-ness.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:47 PM

I know multiple English people living in Burbank, so while it may or may not be "European" enough, your husband would be in good company. (they all love it there, by the way.)

Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 AM

274 posts, read 1,209,831 times
Hi there

well i have moved in the last month from the UK and we have a baby due in december so not sure how insightful my contribution will be but I wonder if you don't need to be LA you could head out east 40-50 miles where apparently it is much better value in terms of renting/ buying, if you can then just commute in when need be- it seems people who can do this, do.

We are a little suprised by how little you get for your money here when it comes to renting but it is probably equivalent to London- but in our experience the accomodation we are looking at is a lower standard than rentals in the UK-you can get a house for 2100-3000- in burbank an average house seems to be 2500. I don't know what area you are in, in lOndon but we have found it quite a shock how unispiring a lot of the accomodation is- a lot of areas are very flat and the houses we have seen so far are just- well uninspiring- unless you spend big bucks and then you can get something really beautiful. I am enjoying getting to know the city but apart from petrol, everything seems to be a bit more expensive than London-particularly the food- our grocery bill has gone up by a third!We think twice before we eat out-15-20 % tip is expected even if the service is the minimum- although generally americans do tend to be pretty helpful and good on the service front which is agood change from the UK-eating out is expensive then they stick tax on so you end up paying a fair whack over the actual bill-for often average fodder-it just feels like the money goes quicker here than it did in London but they may be as we have not quite adjusted and found the best places to go for things.
But if you are from US I am sure you know LA better than me.I have spoken to people who say the public schools are not great but better in certain areas so you probably want to find some good public schools and choose accomodation nearby. I hear schools in Burbank and glendale are better than many areas. But a lot of people seem to go private here and just go without in other areas- but then there are some pretty terrible london schools so no change there maybe.

We really like the hilly areas in glendale and off mulholland where it just feels more civilised- a lot of LA feels like one big drive through and looks like it would blow down in a string wind but i just like a view and a bit of foilage on my street.Also people rave about pacific palisades but it is not cheap- really beautiful up there near the beach and you pay a premium for it. Other areas i have had recommended are eagle rock, los felix near griffith park which is just beautiful the slopes of silver lake- but you could have the schools problem there as it is near the urban sprawl of downtown.

ANyway hope that helps- thing is with these forums is we all throw our two penorth worth in but you know yourselves and what you want from a place- the economy seems to be pretty screwed from what i can make out and i think there are going to be troublesome times ahead- job losses/ house devaluations- not sure how long we will stay out here but we are making the most of the gorgeous climate and outdoors beauty whilst we are here.

ALl the best with your move- it is all about the schooling- if you get a bad school that has a massive impact on the entire family and your childrens' future- so find the good school first. If you are leaving a good school in London that will be a sacrifce unless you can afford to go private here.

The thought of coming home must be lovely but if your husband wants European- this is the most uneuropean city I have ever been in- very similar to Australia- one big asphalt electric jungle with great natinal parks and great beaches- but we definatley miss the london architecture and sensibility and great food whilst also embracing everything that LA is- it will certainly be a change fom London.

Good luck with it all- it is both exciting and a little daunting!!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 AM

687 posts, read 1,111,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
Hi everyone

Go to Realtor.com, Zillow.com to compare home prices in the areas you are considering. For rentals, go to Craigslist.com and put in your requirements in the areas you are interested in. It's a real eye opener especially if you are comparing AZ prices to L.A. prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles