U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 7,619 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking for a place to rent and would like some suggestions. My needs are a little different - not a big fan of the sun, don't mind the driving, care more about Trader Joes than the nearest local place of worship, safety a higher priority than school district, would love to meet other likeminded professional and progressive and men and women who are not married with 2.5 kids.

Big fan of the cooler temps and rain. Hate that it can be 90 degrees at 9 PM in the valley. I've always loved the gloomy low clouds, beach fog and sea breeze cooling in the evenings.

I work in Pasadena. I'm one of those rare individuals that doesn't mind the driving in California. I commute everyday from near Cypress/Cerritos to Pasadena and even though everyone looks at me like I'm crazy, I actually like it - it's quiet time to myself, listening to music, making lists in my mind, catching up phone calls. If I pick my times right, it takes me an hour in the morning and 45 min in the evening, except on Fridays when it's more like an hour and 20 minutes. I've tried a lot of public transport in various cities and have come to the conclusion that my commute takes about the same time, without the sweaty, creepy people in public transport trying to invade your personal space. I would continue living in Cerritos except I think I need to make a change in my life and make new friends.

Would love a place that's nearby a lot of shops, bookstores, tea cafes etc. Love visiting the beach, library, science-y events, museums, aqauriums etc during the weekends. I'm not really in the bar/dance scene but I would love someplace that still has people in their 20s and 30s about, is not dead or full of retirement folks - I've already done enough time in Irvine.

I'm neither too conservative nor too liberal. I'm one of those people that didn't really fit in Orange County but probably wouldn't in Venice either. At one point I thought Belmont Shores was it but am over it now.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 04:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,054,482 times
When I read this post the first neighborhood that came to mind was Los Feliz. The fact it's pretty easily commutable to Pasadena should be a plus. It wouldn't have the ideal weather you're looking for but Santa Monica would be a hellish commute to Pasadena.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:47 PM

687 posts, read 961,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabster View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a place to rent and would like some suggestions. My needs are a little different - not a big fan of the sun, don't mind the driving, care more about Trader Joes than the nearest local place of worship, safety a higher priority than school district, would love to meet other likeminded professional and progressive and men and women who are not married with 2.5 kids.

Big fan of the cooler temps and rain. Hate that it can be 90 degrees at 9 PM in the valley. I've always loved the gloomy low clouds, beach fog and sea breeze cooling in the evenings.

I work in Pasadena. I'm one of those rare individuals that doesn't mind the driving in California. I commute everyday from near Cypress/Cerritos to Pasadena and even though everyone looks at me like I'm crazy, I actually like it - it's quiet time to myself, listening to music, making lists in my mind, catching up phone calls. If I pick my times right, it takes me an hour in the morning and 45 min in the evening, except on Fridays when it's more like an hour and 20 minutes. I've tried a lot of public transport in various cities and have come to the conclusion that my commute takes about the same time, without the sweaty, creepy people in public transport trying to invade your personal space. I would continue living in Cerritos except I think I need to make a change in my life and make new friends.

Would love a place that's nearby a lot of shops, bookstores, tea cafes etc. Love visiting the beach, library, science-y events, museums, aqauriums etc during the weekends. I'm not really in the bar/dance scene but I would love someplace that still has people in their 20s and 30s about, is not dead or full of retirement folks - I've already done enough time in Irvine.

I'm neither too conservative nor too liberal. I'm one of those people that didn't really fit in Orange County but probably wouldn't in Venice either. At one point I thought Belmont Shores was it but am over it now.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I'd say if you could get a job elsewhere, San Fransisco or the Boston area would suit your cooler temps, museums, aquariums and Trader Joes with like minded people. No fog or cooler temps unless you can commute to Pasadena from Santa Monica or Brentwood. If you really want a change why not make a bigger move out of Southern Ca. and move up north or the east coast?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:29 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,642,951 times
Yeah, you are describing the coastal communities. The closest to Pasadena may be Belmont Shore, Seal Beach, Torrance or Manhattan/Hermosa Beaches depending on the least insane commute - basically pick your poison in terms of FWYs.

Would it be possible for you to telecommute a few days a week?

Best case scenario in the longer term would be to move north above LA for more of the things you are describing - the Bay area, Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, heck even Ventura for that matter.

Derek

Old 10-17-2009, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,619 times
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, my job is one of a kind and sort of a dream job for me and hence my willingness to do the commute; I can't see myself quitting it anytime soon to move.

I won't be able to telecommute but I do work 9/80, so every other Friday is off and the 9 hours helps avoid the peak time for the most part.

I will look into Loz Feliz.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:49 PM

274 posts, read 988,296 times
Atwater village has got a nice vibe i think= quite lively on an evening and close to los felix...lots of cafes and interesting shops.
good luck with it

Old 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM

688 posts, read 2,377,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabster View Post

First thing that comes to mind is Belmont Shore/Naples area in Long Beach. Lots of good shopping (I think there is a TJ in that area), restaurants, night life, coffe shops, etc. Also plenty of choices for rental housing.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM

355 posts, read 1,369,523 times
Taking all of what you typed into consideration, the best spot for you by far would be West Hollywood. Probably the safest place in SoCal for single women, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles