U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-04-2011, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,996 times
Hello my name is Randy and I grew up around Panorama City from 1958 to 1980. I have a lot of memories of the era. What I don't have are photos or videos of the area around that time. Does anyone know a website where I can obtain old photos or videos? There is some great video of the area in 1961 in the movie Bachelor in Paradise with Bob Hope but I would really like to find more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-04-2011, 03:55 PM

26,365 posts, read 48,824,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc9rfan View Post
Hello my name is Randy and I grew up around Panorama City from 1958 to 1980. I have a lot of memories of the era. What I don't have are photos or videos of the area around that time. Does anyone know a website where I can obtain old photos or videos? There is some great video of the area in 1961 in the movie Bachelor in Paradise with Bob Hope but I would really like to find more.

Try the CSUN Digital History of the SFV

San Fernando Valley History Digital Library

also the Los Angeles Public Library photo database

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/p...ch_pageADV.jsp

Unread 01-04-2011, 04:59 PM

Well I was born in Glendale in 1949 and was raised in and around Panorama City from 1958 to 1980. During those years The San Fernando Valley in my opinion was the best place to live anywhere. Yes there were plenty of Latinos living around the area and I had many friends that were Latino. The difference was that it wasn't (Gangland) back then. It was an awesome place to live. Things changed in 1980. My son had just turned 5 and they wanted to Bus him to LA everyday for kindergarten so they could mix whites with Blacks. This was in my opinion where the Gang problem actually started. They Bused Blacks mostly with other races from LA to the Valley to mix with the White kids. Neither the Black kids or the White kids wanted this and because of this the kids would hang with their own race while in school. Blacks with Blacks, Whites with Whites, Latinos with Latinos, Etc. This would cause a lot of friction between races and thus Gangs protecting their turf. I just thought I would add my 2 cents from actually being there. Thanks

Unread 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Thank you Charles, I really appreciate it.

Unread 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Well I was born in Glendale in 1949 and was raised in and around Panorama City from 1958 to 1980. During those years The San Fernando Valley in my opinion was the best place to live anywhere. Yes there were plenty of Latinos living around the area and I had many friends that were Latino. The difference was that it wasn't (Gangland) back then. It was an awesome place to live. Things changed in 1980. My son had just turned 5 and they wanted to Bus him to LA everyday for kindergarten so they could mix whites with Blacks. This was in my opinion where the Gang problem actually started. They Bused Blacks mostly with other races from LA to the Valley to mix with the White kids. Neither the Black kids or the White kids wanted this and because of this the kids would hang with their own race while in school. Blacks with Blacks, Whites with Whites, Latinos with Latinos, Etc. This would cause a lot of friction between races and thus Gangs protecting their turf. I just thought I would add my 2 cents from actually being there. Thanks

And this coincides with the boom in the (mostly white) Simi Valley. A lot of people could continue work near the San Fernando Valley by living in Simi, their kids could attend Simi schools and they wouldn't have LA busing problems. After this and the Rodney King trial, Simi was spotlit as a white community.
I remember the west San Fernando Valley of the late 1960s and 1970s as being a bunch of stoners.

Unread 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,000 times
Ahh..the Red Barn, My mother worked there for over 25 yrs. they had the best cheese bread and cheese sauce, mmm..mmm. She was there till the day they closed. The boss came in and said go home to everyone we're closing. No thank you no nothing. The owners brother ran it down. She got a job at the Sherman Room restaurant. she worked there till 1998.. she was 80 years old.

Unread 05-24-2011, 11:16 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,260,199 times
Quote:

Thanks for the links!

Unread 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM

OK guys after reading most of the posts on this sight I've come to the conclusion that some of you really do have a good memory of the SFV back in the good old days. I was born in Glendale in 1949 and lived in the valley from 1958 to 1980 when I moved to the Antelope Valley. I don't care what anybody says the valley in the 50s,60s, and 70s was with out a doubt the best place to live, especially if you were a kid. I went to Plummer St. Elementary School back in 1958 where I met a kid by the name of Ed King who went by Cal back then. He went on to become the Lead guitarist for (Strawberry Alarm Clock) and (Lynyrd Skynyrd) he wrote Sweet Home Alabama and many other songs. We today still talk about the good old days in the SFV. Two movies come to mind when I want to remember how things used to be and they are (Bachelor In Paradise) with Bob Hope shot in the SFV back in 1962. This film shows how life was back then and how the SFV was just getting on the map. Then there is (Hollywood Knights) based on Halloween night back in 1965 in the SFV. Very funny movie and worth a look if you like muscle cars and teenagers having a great time. There were so many places to go and so much stuff to do back then that to me it was Paradise.

Unread 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
OK guys after reading most of the posts on this sight I've come to the conclusion that some of you really do have a good memory of the SFV back in the good old days. I was born in Glendale in 1949 and lived in the valley from 1958 to 1980 when I moved to the Antelope Valley. I don't care what anybody says the valley in the 50s,60s, and 70s was with out a doubt the best place to live, especially if you were a kid. I went to Plummer St. Elementary School back in 1958 where I met a kid by the name of Ed King who went by Cal back then. He went on to become the Lead guitarist for (Strawberry Alarm Clock) and (Lynyrd Skynyrd) he wrote Sweet Home Alabama and many other songs. We today still talk about the good old days in the SFV. Two movies come to mind when I want to remember how things used to be and they are (Bachelor In Paradise) with Bob Hope shot in the SFV back in 1962. This film shows how life was back then and how the SFV was just getting on the map. Then there is (Hollywood Knights) based on Halloween night back in 1965 in the SFV. Very funny movie and worth a look if you like muscle cars and teenagers having a great time. There were so many places to go and so much stuff to do back then that to me it was Paradise.
Things seemed to get bad once prop 13 was enacted.

I wish it was repealed.

Unread 05-25-2011, 09:29 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,260,199 times
Quote:
Things seemed to get bad once prop 13 was enacted.

I wish it was repealed.
If it was repealed you'd have many middle class people leaving California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles