U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,796 times

Advertisements

B's BBQ right down the street from White Front
Remember when Gemco first opened on Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills ?
Rita Curtis Swim School and on Ventura Blvd they had ski lessons in the middle of the summer
The whole earth emporium where the Tarzana ice skating rink used to be
Famous Amos cookies opened up by Portola Junior High School on Ventura Blvd.
DuPars !!
Remember their date nut bread and pies ?
Genie Land, and Sportsman's Lodge, and the Encino Rancho Adobe
Clark Gable/Kay Spreckles estate in Encino
Bea's Bakery & Gelson's Market
Thrifty Drug Store's 5 cent ice cream cone
Jungle Land
Whizzins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 11,497 times
Hello to everyone reading this right now. My name is Randy and I;m 63 years old and have been around the horn a few times. I was born in Glendale California in 1949. My parents were missionaries for a Protestant church and we left California for a couple of years and lived in Brazil so my parents could spread the word of God to people who wouldn't normally have the opportunity to hear it. Anyway, things did not go well for my parents and in 1958 they split up and my father put my mother, myself, and my three siblings on a bus headed back to Southern California, The San Fernando Valley to be exact. It was a good time and a bad time as well. Do I have memories of growing up in the SFV? Oh yeah. I could tell you of places and things that have come and gone from the 50s,60s,70s, and 80s, but the point I would like to make on this thread is this. You talk about the San Fernando Valley and how great it was to live there back in the day. To me there was no better time or place to grow up. Has it changed? Oh yeah. Is it better now? That all depends on who you are and where you are. Nothing stays the same no matter where or what it is. Everyone has an opinion and everyone has memories of their childhood. You know the Garden of Eden was once the place to live and grow up and we all know what happened there. Do I think the SFV is better now than when I grew up there? In my opinion no way, but that's my opinion. I'm intitled to that as you are intitled to yours. To me there is no sense in arguing about what screwed it up or what happened to make it change. What matters to me is what memories you do have and what memories I have so we can come on to a thread like this one and share them. My Grand kids ask me all the time what it was like growing up in the good old days and I do my best to explain to them that in my opinion, there was no better time. I know this was long, but I read on blogs and threads people arguing over what happened to the San Fernando Valley and why it happened. It doesn't matter, it is what it is. If you are a facebook user and would like to join a group of people that share their memories of the San Fernando Valley from the 50s,60s,70s,80s. Look up the group ( Remembering The San Fernando Valley 50s,60s,70s,80s. ) If you like sharing your memories we would love to hear them and share ours with you. That's it have a Wonderful day and thanks for reading, Randy

Old 06-12-2013, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,846 times
Loved the "Sugar Shack"..........spent alot of my high school daze there.......I remember the Ozone also.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,833,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Robert Plant 1978, playing soccer in Encino:

http://www.bradelterman.com/2008/IMG...bertPlant4.jpg
"Footie" (as they call it in the UK) wearing one of them old "Euro" style swim suits ... and apparently without a cup .... bold, very bold!

I don't even want to contemplate the downsides of that ...

Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
Default Hitch hiking to the beach, concerts, whole earth marketplace

My girlfriend and i just met up for the first time in oner 20 years- we both grew up in Tarzana - our visit was filled with remembrances of what wild kids we were with alcoholic parents we were on our own to do as we pleased. Dropping acid, hitch hiking everywhere, dropping out of high school and joining the anti-war subculture!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 AM

5,139 posts, read 4,473,071 times
I moved to Southern California in the 80's, to attend college and moved back home to the Bay Area after spending 20+ years in Southern California. I recall, in the 80's, the SF Valley was a "bedroom community" and very middle and upper-middle class. Places such as North Hollywood were predominately white and Jewish. The area starting changing in the early-mid 90's. I recall going to nightclubs in Woodland Hills and other areas of the Valley (cannot recall the names now) as a UCLA student.

I recall the cruising on Saturday nights in Van Nuys (Sepulveda Blvd, correct?) and those good old days.

I drove though there the last time in the late 2000's, and the Valley has drastically changed!

Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 PM

3,360 posts, read 3,744,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I drove though there the last time in the late 2000's, and the Valley has drastically changed!
Tell me about it!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,833,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I moved to Southern California in the 80's, to attend college and moved back home to the Bay Area after spending 20+ years in Southern California. I recall, in the 80's, the SF Valley was a "bedroom community" and very middle and upper-middle class. Places such as North Hollywood were predominately white and Jewish. The area starting changing in the early-mid 90's. I recall going to nightclubs in Woodland Hills and other areas of the Valley (cannot recall the names now) as a UCLA student.

I recall the cruising on Saturday nights in Van Nuys (Sepulveda Blvd, correct?) and those good old days.

Yep. Also, Reseda, Sherman Oaks, etc, etc.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,105,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaSarada View Post
Rita Curtis Swim School and on Ventura Blvd they had ski lessons in the middle of the summer
Is that the one that had little rectangular windows in the zig zag wall between the sidewalk the the pool?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,105,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc9rfan View Post
To me there was no better time or place to grow up.
Except it was hot in the summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles