Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,168,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleylouise View Post
Loved the "Sugar Shack"..........spent alot of my high school daze there.......I remember the Ozone also.
The Ozone was an under 18 disco in the 1970s.

Phases (Phazes?) on Topanga and Sherman Way (next to Tommy's) was 1980s new wave, maybe 18 and over.

There was also the Tapestry (disco) I think at Reseda and Devonshire.

Webers Place (still there) on Vanowen and Tampa or Corbin.

Anyone remember Godzillas in Sylmar I think? Punk rock place.

Devonshire Downs had lots of punk shows too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
The Ozone was an under 18 disco in the 1970s.

Phases (Phazes?) on Topanga and Sherman Way (next to Tommy's) was 1980s new wave, maybe 18 and over.

There was also the Tapestry (disco) I think at Reseda and Devonshire.

Webers Place (still there) on Vanowen and Tampa or Corbin.

Anyone remember Godzillas in Sylmar I think? Punk rock place.

Devonshire Downs had lots of punk shows too.
I'm sure one of the frequent posters here, Charles, would have some experiences to share. I never managed to make it to any shows there myself. Did manage a few other venues though.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:44 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,280,059 times
I didn't grow up in the valley, or in this era , but I was surprised that the area I live in now actually had a top country music venue. "Country music's most important west coast venue"

The Palomino Club in North Hollywood. Palomino Club (North Hollywood) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's now one of the many banquet has that can be found in this part of the valley.

Interesting info on the Palomino
The Palomino Club:”Country Music’s Most Important West Coast Club” | Broken Radio

The last time I voted, it was actually at this banquet hall..but I had no idea of the history of the place until doing some research later on after I heard an old country song and the singer said he was at "The Palomino club in North Hollywood"

Bob Dylan, George Harrison and many more performed there, the legends like Merle Haggard,etc.
Jerry Lee Lewis , Johnny Cash,

It would be awesome if this place was still around, but changing demographics and tastes in music change any neighborhood.

It's crazy that the Valley doesn't have any notable live music venues still around.

Had anyone been to the Palomino on this thread? Any stories to tell?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I didn't grow up in the valley, or in this era , but I was surprised that the area I live in now actually had a top country music venue. "Country music's most important west coast venue"

The Palomino Club in North Hollywood. Palomino Club (North Hollywood) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's now one of the many banquet has that can be found in this part of the valley.

Interesting info on the Palomino
The Palomino Club:”Country Music’s Most Important West Coast Club” | Broken Radio

The last time I voted, it was actually at this banquet hall..but I had no idea of the history of the place until doing some research later on after I heard an old country song and the singer said he was at "The Palomino club in North Hollywood"

Bob Dylan, George Harrison and many more performed there, the legends like Merle Haggard,etc.
Jerry Lee Lewis , Johnny Cash,

It would be awesome if this place was still around, but changing demographics and tastes in music change any neighborhood.

It's crazy that the Valley doesn't have any notable live music venues still around.
Used to have a place in Reseda, I forgot the name. I saw Chuck Mangioni there about 30 years ago.

Jimi Hendrix, Joe Cocker, Creedence Clearwater, The Rascals, The Byrds, Booker T. & the M.G.’s, Ike & Tina Turner, Eric Burdon, Jethro Tull, Marvin Gaye, The Grass Roots, Three Dog Night and Johnny Winter performed at Devonshire Downs in 1969 for the Monterey Pop Festival.

Among the performers who appeared at the Valley Music Theater in Woodland Hills were Sammy Davis Jr., Johnny Carson, Don Rickles, Woody Allen, Ray Charles, Art Linkletter, Robert Goulet, Mitzi Gaynor, Ike & Tina Turner, Peter, Paul & Mary, B.B. King, Lou Rawls, Three Dog Night, Jim Croce, and the Spiral Staircase. The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and The Doors appeared there together on February 22, 1967.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:11 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
I saw Asleep at the Wheel and The Fabulous Thunderbirds at The Pal.

I also attended the Devonshire Downs event for all three days. I was lucky enough to have someone to crash with who lived near there so I could keep myself from smelling like a dirty stankassed hippie.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 PM

Wasn't there a Filthy McNasty's in North Hollywood?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Wasn't there a Filthy McNasty's in North Hollywood?
I wasn't around then..but apparently there was

Rough Edges - James E. Rogan - Google Books

Looks like one was in North Hollywood and one on Sunset.

Apparently it is now Hacienda Corona . I just drove by there last night since I don't live far from there

Hacienda Corona - North Hollywood - North Hollywood, CA

I actually would not be surprised if some of these venues go back to being rock , or non Latin clubs , NoHo Arts is getting hipper and trendier and this place really isnt too far from there.

This would be some years out though..

Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM

The one on Sunset moved to NoHo.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The one on Sunset moved to NoHo.
Oh ok interesting because there was a matchbook for sale and it had both addresses listed.

I was reading in that Google book that I linked to that the NoHo one was operated as a private club rather than open to the public.

The german brothers that owned it sound like interesting characters.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 PM

Well, I've been known to suffer from CRS before, so I could be FoS on that moved from Sunset thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles