U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 AM
 
103 posts, read 260,174 times
Reputation: 45

Advertisements

When did the Valley change??? It seemed it was nice back in the 40's, 50's, 70's and 80's Fast Times @ Ridgemont High, The Karate Kid, Foxes and Valley Girl. Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks Galleria, Encino, Resada, North Hollywood??? Where did the middle class blacks live? And Asains. I know many celerbaties like Paula Abdul, The Jacksons, Julie Brown and The Brady Bunch all hailed from America's Suburb?? Did the people work in Hollywood or Areospace???Why did it become overbarred with Hispanic immigrants and did the families movied after all??? Any thouhts plz!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2009, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Reputation: 17509
When did it change? First you have to define the "from" (as a baseline) and the "to" because it is always changing.

Was the TV and movie image of the San Fernando Valley of the past accurate? Is the image of any place (for example, Orange County) representative of how it actually is? Was the SFV of the past segregated, crime free, uncongested, quality schooled? Is everybody in OC a sunglasses wearing, cellphone talking, fake boobed bimbo?

Somewhere online we can find demographic and census data to visualize where different ethnic backgrounds lived "then", where they live now, migration patterns, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 AM
 
103 posts, read 260,174 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When did it change? First you have to define the "from" (as a baseline) and the "to" because it is always changing.

Was the TV and movie image of the San Fernando Valley of the past accurate? Is the image of any place (for example, Orange County) representative of how it actually is? Was the SFV of the past segregated, crime free, uncongested, quality schooled? Is everybody in OC a sunglasses wearing, cellphone talking, fake boobed bimbo?

Somewhere online we can find demographic and census data to visualize where different ethnic backgrounds lived "then", where they live now, migration patterns, etc.

How was the Valley really was back then? I mean some it of was true, or people wouldnt of moved to the Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles......So. Calif. an Island on the Land
736 posts, read 2,009,567 times
Reputation: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
How was the Valley really was back then? I mean some it of was true, or people wouldnt of moved to the Valley.

Will: I grew up in the valley in the 1970's and early 1980's and trust me: SOME THINGS are BETTER.....esp. the SMOG. It was MUCH WORSE back then.

Based on Census figures, there simply were NOT many african-americans living in the valley back then. Fortunately, that has changed as more blacks have moved to the valley (less discrimination in housing and perhaps more blacks seeking a suburban lifestyle).

For me the SF Valley back then was EVEN more of a bedroom community to LA proper than it is now....a sleepy cowtown without a lot going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 AM
 
103 posts, read 260,174 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Will: I grew up in the valley in the 1970's and early 1980's and trust me: SOME THINGS are BETTER.....esp. the SMOG. It was MUCH WORSE back then.

Based on Census figures, there simply were NOT many african-americans living in the valley back then. Fortunately, that has changed as more blacks have moved to the valley (less discrimination in housing and perhaps more blacks seeking a suburban lifestyle).

For me the SF Valley back then was EVEN more of a bedroom community to LA proper than it is now....a sleepy cowtown without a lot going on.
Really. so the smog was bad in the valley? I thought the blacks and hisapanics lived in Pacomia or Van Nuys. Reseda? when did the Valley go bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles......So. Calif. an Island on the Land
736 posts, read 2,009,567 times
Reputation: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
Really. so the smog was bad in the valley? I thought the blacks and hisapanics lived in Pacomia or Van Nuys. Reseda? when did the Valley go bad?

Excuse me....but you seem to be suggesting the valley went "bad" b/c blacks and hispanics moved in. If that is the case, I don't care to participate further in this post. For the record I am white but I still take offense....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,765,700 times
Reputation: 531
When the illegals came, the valley went down hill fast. They are taking over this area. It's really sad. I was born and raised in the valley and it's definitely not the same as when I was a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: South Pasadena
686 posts, read 2,271,979 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Excuse me....but you seem to be suggesting the valley went "bad" b/c blacks and hispanics moved in. If that is the case, I don't care to participate further in this post. For the record I am white but I still take offense....
Looks like that's what the OP is suggesting from the beginning, at least with Hispanics. "Why did it become overbarred with Hispanic immigrants and did the families movied after all??"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM
 
103 posts, read 260,174 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Excuse me....but you seem to be suggesting the valley went "bad" b/c blacks and hispanics moved in. If that is the case, I don't care to participate further in this post. For the record I am white but I still take offense....

I did not mean it like that. No, I am black myself. I just want to know the history, where did the minorities live. It seem The Valley was mostly white, no offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 01:58 PM
 
103 posts, read 260,174 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
When the illegals came, the valley went down hill fast. They are taking over this area. It's really sad. I was born and raised in the valley and it's definitely not the same as when I was a child.
when did that happend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top