Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:52 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,042,326 times

Advertisements

In the 1980s, it was like a party in Los Angeles. White racism and the LAPD were pretty vigilant.

My favorite icons were Rick James, MJ, Prince. Man, the music was good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,181,649 times
Overall it was just a fun time to live in Los Angeles. People seemed much cooler and easy going too.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,162,504 times
Wow UB!! I just had a flashback. I remember taking a girl to the Velvet Turtle in Torrance on our first date...dinner for two on less than thirty bucks, with money left over for a movie. What a city!!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:12 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,181,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
Wow UB!! I just had a flashback. I remember taking a girl to the Velvet Turtle in Torrance on our first date...dinner for two on less than thirty bucks, with money left over for a movie. What a city!!
Oh I remember the Velvet Turtle! That place was good. Along with Love's Barbecue restaurant the Velvet Turtle is one restaurant I miss. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the Fish Market in Marina Del Rey.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,439,849 times
How 'bout Wally George. I dunno who came first, George or Morton Downey Jr., but the man was a creature of SoCal (Orange County) and of the '80s. It was quite a colorful life and career, actually. The fact that Rebecca de Mornay was his daughter, and this was the time of Risky Business, is kind of film-worthy itself. I pretty much turned him off. There was a point where the punk scene was getting infected with that neo-Nazi vibe--remember that?--and Wally was just deepening the phantasmagorical sense of it. I have to admit it was part of what made LA at the time such a wildly colorful, crazy place.

Oh, ETA: My biggest memory of Wally was going to a funeral and this scruffy guy whom he would directly rant about on a regular basis, saying something like, "He's out there! He's OUT THERE!" was in attendance. Just some scraggly, harmless hippie who'd always get under his skin.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:22 AM

687 posts, read 1,115,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Oh I remember the Velvet Turtle! That place was good. Along with Love's Barbecue restaurant the Velvet Turtle is one restaurant I miss. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the Fish Market in Marina Del Rey.
Velvet Turtle, famous for their Beef Wellington!
Does anyone remember the restaurant on La Cienega called 1492 where "wenches" would serve you and you could end up in the stockade with the customers throwing rolls at you? Happened to my dad,lol. That place changed hands more than Paris Hilton.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,857,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
How 'bout Wally George. I dunno who came first, George or Morton Downey Jr.
Both of those guys copied the great Joe Pyne, he of L.A. TV and radio fame in the sixties.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Anyone ever go to Nick's Fish Market or The Rainbow Bar and Grill on Sunset in the 70's or 80's? Good times. I loved how the Fish Market had a blow dryer in the ladies room to refresh our wet heads after dancing. These were the days of the "bump" which seems tame compared to the way kids "grind" today. I hated the bump.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Mini skirts and paisley tops were more or less early 70s(1970 to 1973). That period was basically still like the late 60s.
And the style today. I guess our kids couldn't fathom that they didn't originate today's hairstyles or fashions. I showed my son a pic of me in high school with jeans cut just at low as they wear today with the same hairstyle. "So"?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
Merlin McFly was my living room, when I was in LA in the late 80's - I was buying vans & older american cars to sell it in germany. What happened to McFly, that they're closed? It was always crowded when I've been there. Greetings from cologne, germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles