Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:05 PM

55 posts, read 171,121 times

Advertisements

I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE LA FORUM; I HAVE READ NUMEROUS THREADS DEALING WITH THE REALITY, AND NEGATIVES OF LA, AND THE ADVICE GIVEN TO PEOPLE MOVING TO LA. MY QUESTION IS WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS OR REALITY WHAT KEEPS ONE LIVING IN L A. By the way i don't mean't for this thread to seem in any negative tone.THANK YOU (I APPRECIATE ANY COMMENT)

Last edited by ChucKie D; 09-13-2007 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 12:25 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,240 times
I Like La Because I Make More Money In My Field Here Than I Can Anywhere Else In The Usa. I Don't Experience Many Problems That So Many People Complain About And Even Traffic Is Easy For Me Because I Ride A Motorcycle.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
I like it here because despite all of LA's faults, which are amply pointed out on this forum, the positives for me outweigh the negatives by a LARGE margin. I love living here because of the wealth of job opportunities, the diversity of the people, the awe inspiring natural scenery, the beautiful weather, the incredible international cuisine, and the variety of things to do on any given day here. On any given day here you can go surfing (summer), skiing (winter), hiking in the mountains, to a museum, to an ethnic festival, or to any number of great shopping locations. On any given weekend you can take a daytrip to San Diego, Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Catalina Island... etc...

Bottom line... LA has lots of issues, and if you dwell on them... then I feel sorry for you. If you get past LA's weaknesses, this city has infinite things to offer you.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 PM

144 posts, read 735,982 times
The positive vibe. The weather. The great ethnic restaurants. Great places to drive/bike.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Default I'm leaving, but not by choice....

Job related reasons will cause me to leave the LA area. However I will greatly miss it. For better or worse, and even with all of the bad aspects and changes that have happened over the years....it's still home. I'm one of the lucky souls here that doesn't live too far away from where I grew up, in an area where there's still some continuity and community and where the diverse racial and ethnic groups (far more than in the old days of course) actually get along- though thanks to gentrification this might not be for much longer.

Unlike some people who leave, at least I'll be going to a place with which I have some familiarity with in the same state. At some point in time I'm sure I'll be coming back to visit. L.A.'s good aspects STILL outweigh its bad aspects. I understand that some of the more negative posters live in "the hood" which affects their perceptions of L.A. as a whole, and I understand how it could, but every city has "hoods".

Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
the same thing that keeps a lot of people where they are: it's HOME!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:21 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
I fell in love with Los Angeles once I saw how vast and enormous this city is. It has so many different cultures and the sceneries change here every where you go. This city has its problems but "hey" every major city in the world has its problems and Im willing to do what I can to make my city better than what it is today instead of complaining about it. I also really like watching this city grow even more than what it is today and it makes even more excited about what the future holds for this city.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:48 PM

8 posts, read 33,417 times
Its everything ALL OF THE ABOVE...
but mainly:

1) I wake up every morning to PERFECT weather-blue sky-breeze-no humidity-hardly any rain....PERFECT WEATHER-you would be surprised how weather can alter your all around state of mind...........

2) I work for a dot com. I get paid very well here-enough said...

3) On any given night I can pick from all kinds of restuarnts, night life, culture....anything...

4)The People......I have been all over and people are NICE here....Yea shocking!!!

I could go on an on........I love it here I will never leave its my home

Old 09-13-2007, 05:03 PM

55 posts, read 171,121 times
1) I wake up every morning to PERFECT weather-blue sky-breeze-no humidity-hardly any rain....PERFECT WEATHER-you would be surprised how weather can alter your all around state of mind...........

gOOD POINT, I LIVE RIGHT NOW IN THE O H, AND I WAS BORN IN THE WEST COAST OF AFRICA,I DEBATE WITH FRIENDS OF HOW THE WEATHER CAN IMPACTS ONE MIND, AND THAT Y I NEED MY YEAR ROUND SUN,LOL, THANX TO OTHER POST I'M FEELING GOOD.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:09 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Part of what keeps me here is the knowledge of how difficult it would be to move back to L.A. if I moved somewhere else and decided I didn't like it! It's a little scary to think that it's a one-way exit. I've lived here all of my life, and it is still "home", despite all of the problems. Having said that, I'd still like to live somewhere outside of L.A. County before I die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles