U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 05:48 PM

126 posts, read 338,295 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how many people have seen the long continous yard sale along the north side of Venice Blvd between Butler and Mclaughlin in the Mar Vista area. I walked down there one day and these people were selling everything from mufflers to used baby clothes. It reminded me of getting off one of those cruise ships in Mexico and walking into those junk shops. This things runs every Saturday from about 10AM to about 3PM and is a real eye sore. I sent e-mails to Jane Harman, Mayor 3rd worldagossa, Mark Ridley Thomas and the LAPD. ALL WORTHLESS! I finally got a nice lady at the city who had me take pictures and e-mail them to her (that was an experience) and she really seemed to understand the concern. ALSO WORTHLESS! I did finally speak to some office at LAPD and he did acknowledge that it is a problem and that yard sales are only allowed once every 5 months per resident. When asked when something would be done his response was "Well this is LA, what do you expect". Translation, this is LA and we're now a 3rd world city so we need to accept being a garbage dump. Unbelievalbe how the city can be no unresponsive an aloof to what is happening all around this once beautiful city. But they have do have the lawn police coming around to make sure your not watering your yard more than twice a week. Garbage ok, water is a no no. Just wondering if anyone else out there feels like I do.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 06:05 PM

7,159 posts, read 19,883,348 times
apparently these people have never heard of craigslist!!?!?!?!?!??

Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM

Yeah, most of them probably use check cashing stores instead of banks so it's kind of a slam dunk they don't use the internet.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,152,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaplex View Post
I was just wondering how many people have seen the long continous yard sale along the north side of Venice Blvd between Butler and Mclaughlin in the Mar Vista area. I walked down there one day and these people were selling everything from mufflers to used baby clothes. It reminded me of getting off one of those cruise ships in Mexico and walking into those junk shops. This things runs every Saturday from about 10AM to about 3PM and is a real eye sore. I sent e-mails to Jane Harman, Mayor 3rd worldagossa, Mark Ridley Thomas and the LAPD. ALL WORTHLESS! I finally got a nice lady at the city who had me take pictures and e-mail them to her (that was an experience) and she really seemed to understand the concern. ALSO WORTHLESS! I did finally speak to some office at LAPD and he did acknowledge that it is a problem and that yard sales are only allowed once every 5 months per resident. When asked when something would be done his response was "Well this is LA, what do you expect". Translation, this is LA and we're now a 3rd world city so we need to accept being a garbage dump. Unbelievalbe how the city can be no unresponsive an aloof to what is happening all around this once beautiful city. But they have do have the lawn police coming around to make sure your not watering your yard more than twice a week. Garbage ok, water is a no no. Just wondering if anyone else out there feels like I do.
You should contact the City of Los Angeles, Code Enforcement...dial 311 and submit a complaint. They may give you
a tracking #. Then type up a letter to the councilperson and reference the Code Enforcement complaint. Stop by her
office, introduce yourself, and explain the situation to her aid. Then let them know that you and your neighbors are a
bit frustrated and you are the designated person who is to follow up.

I don't like yard sales either. They are junk sales, and most of the stuff should be tossed out or sold via internet if of
any real value, which I doubt.

Do you mind posting the pictures?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Venice Yard Sale

Here are some pix!
Attached Thumbnails
Mar Vista Yard Sale Along Venice Blvd-venice-blvd-yard-sale-002.jpg   Mar Vista Yard Sale Along Venice Blvd-venice-blvd-yard-sale-003.jpg   Mar Vista Yard Sale Along Venice Blvd-venice-blvd-yard-sale-004.jpg  

Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Default Venice Yard Sale More Photos

Nice, huh! The city could care less. Wonder what would happen if this occurred about 2 miles north Olympic Blvd in Century City!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mar Vista Yard Sale Along Venice Blvd-venice-blvd-yard-sale-005.jpg   Mar Vista Yard Sale Along Venice Blvd-venice-blvd-yard-sale-008.jpg  

Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 PM

355 posts, read 1,357,734 times
Wow. Operating a swap meet/flea market, more or less. Yeah, keep on code enforcement about it, although, to be honest, in this economic environment, I am hardly surprised and there are sooooo many more of these "weekly" yard sales all over the southland.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,152,695 times
Do you have pickup truck or other large off road vehicle?....I have an idea, but you would need to remove your license plate first and drag about 10 feet of chain link fence behind your truck.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 AM

16,732 posts, read 35,346,342 times
Hey, that's my office chair and waffle iron!

If it gets to the point where they start selling street food at these gala events, hold on to your cats.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks everyone. At least I don't feel so alone anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles