U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 PM

7 posts, read 11,495 times

Advertisements

So me and one or two of my close friends are deciding that we would want to start our new lives in LA. Currently we are both 17. We been thinking about this a lot the past few days. We have different plans that we would like to see which would be the best.

Scenario 1:
Finish up HS this year (we're seniors), then do a victory lap, figure out what we really wanna do at the university level while working at the same time. We would then visit LA in the summer of 2011, and stay there for about 1-2 weeks and just see how it is, if we would like to fully move there. We would also finish up university in ONtario(where we live), then hopefully when we move to LA, we will be able to find employers and jobs that relate to the stuff we studied in university etc.

While we move to LA and start our new life and new jobs, we would be splitting rent, and we would want to take acting classes etc on the side, since we would both want to make it big and become actors. Now Im a realistic person, so if this acting thing doesn't work we would still have our real jobs and we would still live and become successful in the normal sense.

Another possibilty is to go to University in the States? How would that work? I mean working parttime and going to school in a different country seems kinda hard.

I would like to know how hard would it be to start a new life in LA with a friend in your early 20s? How hard would it be to get a spot in a movie or sitcom after acting classes? What acting classes are like? How hard is it to find the right people like the connections etc.

Also would be visiting LA next summer when we would be 18 be a good idea? I heard the legal drinking/clubbing age is like 21? So I mean I don't wanna miss out on a lot of fun in LA if we do go next year.

What is the life like in LA? like a typical day? How hard would it be to find a job? I plan on getting into kinesiology, so I plan on becoming a strength and conditioning coach/personal trainer. I mean a way to meet showbiz people would be a personal trainer for say some actor needing to buff up? You know what I mean? There seems to be so many possibilities.

Finally, how would we get a US immigration green card?

Thanks for all the help. We plan on living in a pretty nice area in LA when we first move, we both have the drive to work hard and try to achieve this goal. it may sound a little crazy, but all dreams start somewhere right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 04:58 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,688,174 times
Ahhhh, youth....

Old 11-01-2009, 05:05 PM

5,584 posts, read 7,485,977 times
Visiting Los Angeles for two weeks is not what you need to do to see if you like it.
You will be here as a tourist, and do and see things that tourist do.
You should plan on one or two months to shop around for rentals, jobs, and any thing else on you agenda.
Investigate the things you are interested in, not ther tourist magnets.
I remember some years ago,two young people from Conneticut came here to LosAngeles with stars in their eyes thinking they would make it big in Hollywood.
Whenr reality set in, and it did, they both left crying, and returned to their home state.
Don't come out here hoping to be "discovered," and thinking you are going to meet tons of movie stars.
It Ain't gonna happen.
Most of the well known stars wouldn't be caught dead living in Los Angeles.
They live in secluded small towns that are dotted up and down the state.
It's commendable that you want to get an education at the college level, without it, you can forget about working in Los Angeles at anything worthwhile.
What it all amounts to as far as living and working in this city is, putting all your ducks in a row.
Have a solid plan, then persue it.
Don't come here with stars in your eyes, but come here with an honest desire to live and prosper.
As for becomming actors, you had better hope you are very good looking because if you are not, there are many, many in line who are, and still they are waiting for that big chance.
There is no Schwabb's drugstore and the likes of Lana Turner have long since disappeared.
Concentrate on your education and take it from there.
Work and pay rent like the rest of us slobs living here, and it just might be too your liking.
Bob.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 PM

Yeah I mean the acting thing is just to the side, more of a bonus. We'll obviously work hard for it, but if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. I'd like to know what the chances of becoming a decent actor is though?

Also would it be worthwhile to visit LA at the age of 18? We would obviously want to go to all the tourist spots, but we also plan on asking questions and learning more about the jobs, income, rent, daily living stuff like that.

How hard is it to get a job in the kinsiology strength and conditioning coach/personal trainer type of job in LA? I'm asumming there are a lot of oppertuninities, I mean I hear all the time new diets/workouts actors go on to get the physique needed for a certain role. Obivously I also have to be very good at my profession. I'm also the type of person that if I get focused and commited, I'm gonna try my best to get it done.

Would it be better to live in LA for about a month? Like rent a place, get a part time job, and just get a watered down version and some experience of what the real thing would be like?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:30 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,847,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC23 View Post
I'd like to know what the chances of becoming a decent actor is though?
How many people have wanted to be a decent actor? A million?
How many decent actors are there? A hundred? A thousand?

Got a calculator?

Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 PM

174 posts, read 464,191 times
You've already been given good advice. I'm just not sure I understand the appeal that LA has for some people. It's certainly a warmer and sunnier climate than Ontario, but it's packed with people, most of whom are not going to be as friendly as people in Ontario.

It's takes a while to get to know other people here. I'm sure you've heard of the "laid back" life style, but that's actually a form not caring about the person near you. I include myself when I say that Angelinos always have an anticipation of flakiness in the person walking next to them that makes them hesitate to talk with strangers. More than one survey has voted LA as one of the (if not the number one) rudest city in the U.S.

The West side of LA is beautiful. It's got a beach close at hand and tasteful architecture, but you get farther east than the "Miracle Mile" or La Brea Blvd. and things get exponentially less attractive the farther you go while the price of living remains high.

It might be the influence of the entertainment industry, but a deep seating feeling of use or get used begins to settle in. Paranoia grows around you and you realize that smiles and kind words often mean nothing more than, "I'm watching you." On the road is where so many show true character as they lean on horns and offer the finger in response to the most minor infractions.

I've lived here for more than twenty years, and I enjoy getting away when I have a chance. Other parts of the U.S. are more caring, but they are also more nosey and judgmental too. LA is a fantastic place to recreate yourself and wipe your slate clean. People come and go easily in your life here. I have a short list of people who have been genuine friends to me for twenty years and with whom I've managed to keep in touch all that time. I've met these people through volunteer work with charitable organizations, not as fellow employees or neighbors.

Listen to the advice you hear about staying in school and finding jobs outside of TV or movies. It's good advice.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 PM

How hard is it to get a job in the kinsiology strength and conditioning coach/personal trainer type of job in LA? I'm asumming there are a lot of oppertuninities, I mean I hear all the time new diets/workouts actors go on to get the physique needed for a certain role. Obivously I also have to be very good at my profession. I'm also the type of person that if I get focused and commited, I'm gonna try my best to get it done.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 PM

5,584 posts, read 7,485,977 times
Quote:
Those positions, and the people who have them are very well connected.
They know the "right" people, and the in's and out's of the business.
They have been plying their trade for many years to build up a much sought after clientle.
A vertual unknown wouldn't stand a chance cutting into the trade.
Those here involved in it are entrenched heavily, and seldom, if ever does the opportunity exist where an unknown, with no following can break the barrier.
The best I think you may wind up with in the field ,is working at one of the many health clubs and spars in the city as a personal trainer.
They cater to all kinds of people, but sadly for your ambition of meeting celebs, again, you would be out of luck.
Celebs are private people, in spite of what you see and read in people magazine.
They only frequent the ultra private clubs.
As I said above, stick with the education, and work hard at whatever you do,even if it isn't rubbing elbows with the stars.
Los Angeles is one hell of a city.
I have lived all over this country and, obviously I could have my pick of any place to live, but 39 years ago, I came to LosAngeles on an invite from friends, and made it my home.
Sure, it isn't perfect, but what place is?
When you decide to visit, be patient, and give it time.
You won't be disappointed.
Bob.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:10 PM

71,724 posts, read 83,345,493 times
Quote:
I believe Frank Sinatra sang a song with a verse "when I was 17, it was a very good year"

There is nothing wrong with dreaming, which is what you are doing, but there is along time between now and the future. Many things will change in your lives. Beleive it or not, maybe even best friends.

As for jobs as personal trainers, there are millions in CA already and those who work with celetrities have years of experience and connections.

Nita

Old 11-01-2009, 07:29 PM

So from what I've heard from people online, it's gonna be hard, and that LA sucks? I'm obviously gonna want to experience LA myself. Basically being a strength and conditioning coach in LA would be hard? and i mean is it realistic to start getting into acting school and stuff like that if you've never had any prior experience at all, and you almost graduate HS?

To me everyone needs to start somewhere, and it seems all the great people in our society have gone through hard times before finally making it, and I'm not just talking about actors.

DOes anyone know the similaries/differences and pros/cons of living in LA and NY? I really wanna get out of the suburbs and get into the big cities and lights and just live life in an area like that for a while. Kinda like the opposite of someone from LA or NY wanting to move out and settle down in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles