Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
But I hope these Ventura cities don't get too big and take over all the open land & agriculture. Driving down a highway where you can stop at fruit stands is something a person doesn't see much more in California. I forgot that Simi Valley is in Ventura county. Isn't it also around 100,000 population?
I completly agree with you on how nice those areas away from the "big Cities" of Ventura county are. The Healthcare system that I work for runs clinics in Santa Paula, Fillmore, and Oak View. We also own the Ojai Valley Community Hospital, Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura and clinics in Ventura, Oxnard, and Camarillo. As much as I love the ocean, taking a drive up the 33 or over onto the 126 to visit those outlying clinics is also amazing. That is some amazing land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
I have lived in VC (Oak Park) area for 4 yrs. I am a born and raised GA girl with gobs of family still there.
I have daughters that are school aged.
It tears me up I cant be closer to my family for the yrly gatherings and such especially while my girls are still young, but quickly growing up.

Since I am a GA girl...I am conservative and trying to raise my daughters up right and truly feel I dont fit well with the culture at large. Hard to make friends who share that same view point. And I am a pretty friendly person who desires to make a connection with others....and it just seems others dont "get" that. Very distracted, kinda all-about-me mentality or what will this do for me type attitude. And I do know that is mostly part of the area we live because it is top ranked school district and being close to LA....and it attracts such.

I would love to be back home in my culture enjoying those deep connective relationships from family and friends I have known since childhood. But my husband's job is here!!! And I have to get by somehow...joined a church....even that has been kinda lukewarm from what I am used to...do some women's fellowship once a week...and that helps, but it isnt the same. I found that to find geniune people....get involved in church and there should be some common ground even in CA...now we are looking to change areas and try to find a more grounded area...with prayerfully normal folks!!!

See...you have to appreciate where you are....there is always gonna be some type of superficialness and keeping up with others anywhere you go...but where you are....people are humble, hard working, and living paycheck to paycheck....and I'll be willing to bet, they go to church too...that is their life...simple as it is. Normal, average, everyday people...and I 'll be willing bet that when you go to the grocery store or just out and about, people will smile and greet you and they really mean it....there is a sense of respect...yes mam, no mam, yes sir...I miss that!!

You can have all these sunny days out here...the mountains, the coastline and blue ocean....yes, they are scenic....and well to you....they are HOME...but to me, it isnt worth it enough to miss for what I value is more important than a scenic "perfect" place. I value people I love, relationships, connections, and depth....worth more to me than any of this beauty out here.

I love the beaches where you are better than the ones out here....but because the water is warmer and it is so nice to have a "beverage" on the beach without the coast guard patrol checking out your drink. The citrus and produce in my opinion are better in the east....just what I am used to....I will take an Indian river grapefruit anyday!! Boiled peanuts are the bomb... and Ga peaches and watermelon so very good....not to mention a true vine ripened tomato....love me some sweet tea...please!

Anyway...sweety...I share your desire....truly I do. I will admit alot of folks love it here....I have even met other transplants like me...that have become Californiafied....but I remain true to who I am.....a GA girl...
sorry for the ramble....but I guess I was just trying to help you appreciate what you do have in your current back yard....please dont move out here without a job in place...not in this economy....maybe you can do some research while you are in ventura visiting your family.....and BTW...I am getting OUT of oak park and hoping maybe to move up to Moorpark to find some normal people...at least until our situation changes.
God bless you girly...dont let it get you down....make the best of your surrounds...because it is part of who your husband is and where he came from, his heritage is their heritage too....and your kids should know that....because it is good...
I have lived in Alabama area for about two years. I am a born and raised CA guy with gobs of family still there.
I have four daughters that are school aged.
It tears me up I cant be closer to my family for the yrly gatherings and such especially while my girls are still young, but quickly growing up.

Since I am a CA guy...I am open minded, and therefore non-religious (non superstitious) and I don't believe in the supernatural and I am trying to raise my daughters up right and I sometimes don't fit well with the culture at large. It can be hard to make friends who share that same view point. And I am a pretty friendly person who desires to make a connection with others....and it just seems others dont "get" that. Very dogmatic, close minded, type attitude. And I do know that is mostly part of the area we live because it is top ranked school district (in Huntsville) and being in Alabama....and it fosters such.

I would love to be back home in my culture enjoying those deep connective relationships from family and friends I have known since childhood. But my job was in Huntsville. And I have to get by somehow...joined the North Alabama Freethought Association....even that has been kinda lukewarm from what I am used to...do some sports and robotics coaching several times per week...and that helps, but it isnt the same. I found that to find open minded people....get involved in rational discussion and there should be some common ground even in AL ...we are always looking to find a more grounded area...with statistically normal folks!!!

See...you have to appreciate where you are....there is always gonna be some type of brainwashing and conformity issues anywhere you go...but where you are....people are humble, hard working, and living paycheck to paycheck....and I'll be willing to bet, they doubt the existence of god too...that is their life...simple as it is. Normal, average, everyday people...and I 'll be willing bet that when you go to the grocery store or just out and about, people will smile and greet you and they really mean it....there is a sense of respect...yes mam, no mam, yes sir...I miss that!!

You can have all low priced homes, no traffic, lots of jobs, HOME...but to me, it isnt worth it enough to miss for what I value is more important than a low cost of living place. I value people I love, relationships, connections, and depth....worth more to me than any affordability in Alabama.

I love the BBQ in AL better than the ones out in CA....but because the pork is cheaper and it is so nice to have to drink sweet tea anywhere you eat. The citrus and produce in my opinion are better in the west....just what I am used to....I will take an California fruit or vegetable any day!! Salsa bars are the bomb... and CA peaches and avocados so very good....not to mention a true vine ripened tomato....love me some menudo...please!

Anyway...sweety...I share your desire....truly I do. I will admit alot of folks love it here....I have even met other transplants like me...that have become Southernized....but I remain true to who I am.....a CA guy...
sorry for the ramble....but I guess I was just trying to help you appreciate what you do have in your current back yard....please dont move out here without a desire to enjoy the indoors...not in this climate....maybe you can do some research while you are in the south visiting your family.....and BTW...I am getting OUT of the south and hoping maybe to move back to CA to find some normal people...at least as our situation changes.
there's probably no god girly...dont let it get your mind....make the best of your surrounds...because it is part of who your husband is and where he came from, his heritage is their heritage too....and your kids should know that....because it is good..

Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM

313 posts, read 1,148,921 times
very interesting twist of perspective, Charles....I wasnt aware I was coming across "dogmatic and close minded"....and I apologize for such, just looking for a common connection with the OP. I appreciate your difference of opinion....but personally I dont understand how people deal with life without knowing there is a God. And personally I have lived life both ways and having God is far more fulfilling than not....in my humble opinion.

I was raised "brainwashed"....and explored other ways....but at the end of the day....I know where I stand...I am so sorry you think your logic and intellect is far superior to those who have faith in God...that is a part of self absorbion....I know everything...so who is this God to tell me how I should live my life?

I dont know everything....But you are in the bible belt....and I assure you, that yes...it can go to the other extreme....and folks can be close minded and legalistic in their views....really puts a bad spin for those of us who are truly faithful Christians....loving, gracious, accepting, selflessness, having self control....and this is a challenge within itself as we are by nature self centered. It takes hard work to truly live a life of integrity and character in Christian faith whether in "live and let live" CA or bible belt GA/AL. I hope you too, can find some peace while you do your time in the south...grass certainly does seem greener, doesnt it?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
Runner, I don't think you will find Moorpark any more or less religious than any other part of California. Everybody is free to worship whatever they follow or not worship anything. Everybody seems to accept another's freedom of choice. In California, the religious have tolerance for atheists. That is just not so in the south.

A couple of your snippets with my comments. I am not really criticizing but am just trying to portray how people in California think a little differently on things

Quote:
I don't understand how people deal with life without knowing there is a God.
Nobody here cares if you don't understand. Nobody here is trying to make you understand. Just about everybody will accept you and your religious beliefs no matter what their personal beliefs.

Quote:
Very distracted, kinda all-about-me mentality or what will this do for me type attitude
I hear this a lot. From a Californian's point of view, everybody just does what they want without regard to its acceptance. Some feel if they don't comply with what everyone else is doing it is an 'all about me' mentality where most Californians just think it is an individual's right to live life as they see fit.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Downtown,

Thanks for your perspective...I really try to understand that it isnt anything personal if people keep to themselves more out here. Cant say that I like it, but I try to be understanding.

I just have a hard time finding others who are supportive in the faith, in the way I would if I were in the south. As a mom trying to raise kids who are respectful, considerate....and having decent values that happen to be aligned with our faith...I feel so alone....because too many parents are trying to be friends with their kids instead of setting limits and expectations.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Runnergrl, Many of us go to Church every Sunday or if they are inclined some other day. Many do not attend Church at all. Many see this beauty around us in Ventura County and consider that Church. My God, Your God, or some higher power created all this. Many may think it just happened. What ever you or I or anyone else wants to believe is fine with me and I think that many here in Southern California and even here in Ventura County feel the same way about that. We are a pretty easy going bunch and allow others to believe, not believe or act how they desire, as long as what you are doing isn't forced on us or keep us from doing what it is we want to do.

Saying that how did we get into a subject of religion from a question about if it is OK to live in Ventura County?

Old 03-18-2010, 05:22 PM

dont know? I was only commiserating with the OP about not being home...I guess it was taken off in a different direction.

I am only trying to live my life here....trying to find others in that same struggle in raising a family and having good values...just saying I havent found a healthy group that feels as strongly about it. My faith drives everything in my life...it is the foundation and the purpose of everything....and not everyone has that priority.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have lived in Alabama area for about two years. I am a born and raised CA guy with gobs of family still there.
I have four daughters that are school aged.

Since I am a CA guy...I am open minded, and therefore non-religious (non superstitious) and I don't believe in the supernatural and I am trying to raise my daughters up right and I sometimes don't fit well with the culture at large. It can be hard to make friends who share that same view point. And I am a pretty friendly person who desires to make a connection with others....and it just seems others dont "get" that. Very dogmatic, close minded, type attitude. And I do know that is mostly part of the area we live because it is top ranked school district (in Huntsville) and being in Alabama....and it fosters such.

I would love to be back home in my culture enjoying those deep connective relationships from family and friends I have known since childhood. But my job was in Huntsville. And I have to get by somehow...joined the North Alabama Freethought Association....even that has been kinda lukewarm from what I am used to...do some sports and robotics coaching several times per week...and that helps, but it isnt the same. I found that to find open minded people....get involved in rational discussion and there should be some common ground even in AL ...we are always looking to find a more grounded area...with statistically normal folks!!!

See...you have to appreciate where you are....there is always gonna be some type of brainwashing and conformity issues anywhere you go...but where you are....people are humble, hard working, and living paycheck to paycheck....and I'll be willing to bet, they doubt the existence of god too...that is their life...simple as it is. Normal, average, everyday people...and I 'll be willing bet that when you go to the grocery store or just out and about, people will smile and greet you and they really mean it....there is a sense of respect...yes mam, no mam, yes sir...I miss that!!

You can have all low priced homes, no traffic, lots of jobs, HOME...but to me, it isnt worth it enough to miss for what I value is more important than a low cost of living place. I value people I love, relationships, connections, and depth....worth more to me than any affordability in Alabama.

I love the BBQ in AL better than the ones out in CA....but because the pork is cheaper and it is so nice to have to drink sweet tea anywhere you eat. The citrus and produce in my opinion are better in the west....just what I am used to....I will take an California fruit or vegetable any day!! Salsa bars are the bomb... and CA peaches and avocados so very good....not to mention a true vine ripened tomato....love me some menudo...please!

Anyway...sweety...I share your desire....truly I do. I will admit alot of folks love it here....I have even met other transplants like me...that have become Southernized....but I remain true to who I am.....a CA guy...
sorry for the ramble....but I guess I was just trying to help you appreciate what you do have in your current back yard....please dont move out here without a desire to enjoy the indoors...not in this climate....maybe you can do some research while you are in the south visiting your family.....and BTW...I am getting OUT of the south and hoping maybe to move back to CA to find some normal people...at least as our situation changes.
there's probably no god girly...dont let it get your mind....make the best of your surrounds...because it is part of who your husband is and where he came from, his heritage is their heritage too....and your kids should know that....because it is good..
Charles, can you believe how many bogus "ghost" or "supernatural" programs are on TV? Even the Discovery channel, House & Garden channel & several more networks have stupid shows of houses they think are haunted. I can't believe such garbage esp when they try so hard to make it sound that a house really does have a ghost. If people believe all that superstition then our country is in worse shape than I thought!

Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
If people believe all that superstition then our country is in worse shape than I thought!
Yep, it's pretty scary.

"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them."

- Abraham Lincoln

YouTube - George Carlin -God bless America

Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,281 times
to me this place is racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles