Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,063 times

Advertisements

First of all, I just wanted to say thank you to who ever takes the time to provide information regarding my questions. I am relocating to the Los Angeles area due to my work transfer, and my wife and I have narrowed are search down to the SCV/Valencia area. We loved it there during our last trip and it is the closest thing to feeling like home. I have just received word that my transfer has gone through sooner then expected, meaning I will not be able to make another trip to SCV to look at apartments/condos before the move... Valencia seems like a very nice area but we are really flying blind when choosing an apartment. Are price range is 1200-1600 a month, however I would like to play it safe and stick closer to 1300 for our first lease until we can get use to the area and make sure there aren't additional unexpected expenses. Any info on good apartment complexes in the area that are safe, quiet, and near shopping would be greatly appreciated. Personal experience with places such as "Provence of Valencia" and "Alara at Westfield" would be much appreciated. Like I said, we are really flying blind and we do not expect the place that we will be getting to be "the" place but we would like a decent starting point.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 PM

687 posts, read 1,110,970 times
Here is something I found on Rent.com in Valencia...

StoneCreek
23855 ARROYO PARK DRIVE VALENCIA, CA 91355 Map

Provence of Valencia seemed very nice but much more expensive with little in the $1300 range. Canyon Country is right next door and may have more options for a little less. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,252,058 times
We have dogs so that was a factor in our search, but we ended up at The Vistas at West Hills. We like it because it is brand new and quiet and 6 month lease and specials. We have a 1 bedroom and it has a 1 bay garage and you can park another car behind it in the covered area. Pool-spa-bbq and 24 hour fitness center. Walk across the street to Albertson's, pizza, sandwich place and few other things. Also walk across the street to large park areas. Easy to get to the 5 now that Newhall Ranch connects to it. Corner of Newhall and Copper Hill has a bunch of stuff like Wamart, Smart and Final, restaurants bank etc.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 22,399 times
As long as you have a VALENCIA address, you should be fine. You do not want to be in Newhall or some areas of Canyon Country. Beware of some places in Canyon Country, they might look nice during the day, but the freaks come out at night! (NEVER live in an apartment in Canyon Country off of Jakes Way, or anywhere off of Newhall Ave). Anyway if you are actually in Valencia, you'll be fine wherever you end up.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:05 AM

35 posts, read 120,809 times
You've got good advice from the others. You can also look in Saugus where rent should be cheaper than Valencia. Dealing with a local real estate company that can find you a rental condo or apartment could be best too.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:31 AM

191 posts, read 584,005 times
elousv - we are in West Hills, just adjacent to the Vistas.

It's a great area - one thing I'll add is that there is easy access to the San Francisquito Trail, which leads you into the Santa Clara River trail. If you jog / bike / walk, you will love it. It is all Class I / paved, with markers separating bikes from walkers. The trail is very well maintained, convenient alternative access to parks, and feeds you into other Paseos in town.

I can't say enough great things about Valencia -- many talk about the dreaded commute, but we used to live 15 miles from my work and the commute was an identical amount of time (45ish minutes) to the west SFV.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,252,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post
elousv - we are in West Hills, just adjacent to the Vistas.
Good luck.
Well then we have probably walked by your house because we go up the Paseo that winds through there all the time.

To the OP, we looked at Provence, it is very close at the McBean/Copperhill intersection and when we walked through it looked fine. The Alara I think you are referring too is at Westridge. Also directly across from a new shopping center with Bevmo and Albertson's etc. Nice area and very close to the 5 freeway. We could never find anybody working there so we did not see the inside.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,143,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
Here is something I found on Rent.com in Valencia...

StoneCreek
23855 ARROYO PARK DRIVE VALENCIA, CA 91355 Map
StoneCreek is a good bet because you can walk to the Mall, which is less than a mile away, and right across the street is Granary Square, which has Ralph's Fresh Fare, Chase Bank, CVS Pharmacy, shops and eateries, like the Alamo, which is very popular. Also, across the street a few blocks away is the YMCA and the Summit Park, behind it with a walking trail.

The Mall is expanding with all kinds of new shops and restaurants. Plus, there are paseos all over Valencia and neighborhood parks.

The downside to living in this area is that it gets pretty cold in the winter and really, really hot in the summer. If you don't mind that, you'll love it here. Best of luck.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Well then we have probably walked by your house because we go up the Paseo that winds through there all the time.
We're on the "single loaded" street that is directly across from the trail, where a bunch of sod was recently planted. It's a great area, very cool neighbors, outstanding schools.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
The downside to living in this area is that it gets pretty cold in the winter and really, really hot in the summer. If you don't mind that, you'll love it here. Best of luck.
So funny when I read/hear this. Relative to the Pacific coastal areas, yes it's true. When it's 100 degrees in DTLA in the summer, it will be 105-106 in SCV. When it's 55 degrees in DTLA in the winter, it will be 50 in SCV. Coastal areas will be more pronounced, with the summers having a 20-25 degree delta.

Relative to just about anywhere else in the country / world, absolutely not true. We have neighbors from Ohio, Japan, UK, midwest, Minnesota, New Jersey, and San Diego.

The ones from San Diego are the only ones that complain. The rest are thrilled with the weather. And yes, it's a proverbial "dry heat." Find a pool, drive 45 mins to Ventura, run your AC. This year, it lasted from July - September. Worst case, it stretches from mid June - early October. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles