Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:15 AM

26 posts, read 69,375 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have just bought a place in Reseda and was wondering what are the cheapest supermarkets comparatively speaking. I know the 99 Cents Store and Food For Less would be considered rather cheap, but I would like to hear about your opinions. What about Vallarta? Would they be considered cheap as well comparatively speaking compared to other supermarkets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 02:11 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Vallarta's got good prices and specials on meats and produce and, of course, Mexican ingredients. Food 4 Less has bulk cheese, a big block of mozzarella or pepper jack for a couple of bucks. For nicer but still pretty inexpensive shopping, check out Fresh and Easy. I think the closest store to you would be Van Nuys just on the other side of the 405 on Vanowen. Great prices for your "better" grocery shopping. Like Trader Joes they've also got their own $1.99 wine, and the merlot is better than the 2 Buck Chuck, to give you an idea of their offerings. I've seen their baguettes day-old priced at 57 cents, and they've got prepared foods too. It's not a bad place for family groceries, and it's a fantastic place for singles to stock themselves (or stalk each other ).

Old 11-07-2009, 06:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Don't rule out Trader Joe's

Trader Joes vs "The Supermarket"

Old 11-07-2009, 07:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Vallarta's got good prices and specials on meats and produce and, of course, Mexican ingredients. Food 4 Less has bulk cheese, a big block of mozzarella or pepper jack for a couple of bucks. For nicer but still pretty inexpensive shopping, check out Fresh and Easy. I think the closest store to you would be Van Nuys just on the other side of the 405 on Vanowen. Great prices for your "better" grocery shopping. Like Trader Joes they've also got their own $1.99 wine, and the merlot is better than the 2 Buck Chuck, to give you an idea of their offerings. I've seen their baguettes day-old priced at 57 cents, and they've got prepared foods too. It's not a bad place for family groceries, and it's a fantastic place for singles to stock themselves (or stalk each other ).
I think we all love "cheap" but I have found the less expensive produce often doesn't keep or is not tasty..As for Trader Joes, I know this is off the subject a little, but try their "Raymond Hill" wines. They come in 1.5 liters and we think they are better than 2 buck Chuck.. We love produce from there and the prices on the produce. Too bad we don't have any here. Last time we were in Ca, about 6 months ago, we stocked up: had a whole suitcase full of stuff and then we took a driving trip to NM a few months ago, did the same.

Nita

Old 11-07-2009, 07:50 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,400 times
If you have a family don't forget Costco which is on Sepulveda Blvd. You have to become a member which is now $50 but that is good for a family. If you don't have a family it may not be as useful do to all the bulk items.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
If you have a family don't forget Costco which is on Sepulveda Blvd. You have to become a member which is now $50 but that is good for a family. If you don't have a family it may not be as useful do to all the bulk items.
We belong to Sams, and even with just 2 of us, it is worth it. We do need to pay attention to prices, some things really are not that much less, but just for paper products, water, cleaning supplies, animal food, nuts, things like that. We get our money's worth for sure.

Nita

Old 11-08-2009, 11:41 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We belong to Sams, and even with just 2 of us, it is worth it. We do need to pay attention to prices, some things really are not that much less, but just for paper products, water, cleaning supplies, animal food, nuts, things like that. We get our money's worth for sure.

Nita

Why would you spend the money for Sam's club membership when you can buy the same items you mentioned , at Walmart?
Bob.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Why would you spend the money for Sam's club membership when you can buy the same items you mentioned , at Walmart?
Bob.
Beleive it or not that isn't the case at all!!! First of all, bulk products are much cheaper at Sams and we have neighbors who drive WAl Mark trucks. They will tell you the meats and produce at the two stores are very different..
Yes, there are some products that are the same and some even prices similar, but just because they are both owned by Wal-Mart does not make them the same. This would be like saying Trader Joes and Aldis are the same cause they are owned by the same family or Hampton Inns and Hiltons are the same cause they are both Hilton brands.. I am surprised you made such a comment...

Nita

Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
The Asian markets usually have some good deals on produce. There is a Korean market on Sherman Way and Louise (? - not sure if it's Louise, could be White Oak). It used to be called Greenland market but the name was changed the last time we went there. Anyway, they get good produce deals.

Also, the Ranch 99 on Sepulveda and Burbank (? - could be Victory, don't go there often enough to remember the cross streets). Sometimes they have good deals on produce and seafood too.

Seafood City in Panorama City (on Woodman between Sherman Way and Roscoe) gets good deals on seafood. (It's a Filipino market)

There is another Korean market called the Galleria that is on the corner of Reseda Blvd. and Devonshire. It's more expensive than the other market but they have good sales.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:40 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
I haven't seen a Sam's Club in ages. I don't know if they have any locations in the Valley. Costco has a lot of locations in the Valley. Also, different Costco's stock different items.

We have a membership to Costco too, even though there are only two of us. I get all my prescriptions filled there (they're cheaper than Walmart even). I also buy most of my electronic items at Costco. Coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, non-prescription drugs -- there are a lot of things that are cheaper at Costco. Plus, they have those great $5 chickens and $10 pizzas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles