Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 AM

12 posts, read 37,617 times

Advertisements

First of all, I'd like to thank all the helpful people in this forum who have patiently answered my endless questions about LA.

I have got one last question, and this time it has to do with the 101 freeway, which I will be often taking if I am living in and commuting from Pasadena. How safe / drivable is it at night? Looking at my schedule, I might have to commute from Westlake Village to Pasadena after 10pm once (thankfully!) a week. Is it okay to drive it at night? (is it well-lit, well-maintained, safe?) Or is there anything I should be aware of? Any help and tip would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you all have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Not to bad at night, at least on the Westlake end of the 101. I have never had too many problems anywhere on the 101 at night anytime I have been on it between Santa Barbars and on out into the LA area.

As far as lights. You shouldn't be driving a car at night that doesn't have them. What I am saying is that some parts of the 101 may not have lights. When you pass Westlake Village heading East their are some parts between Westlake and into the Van Nuys area that may not have lights.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
you'll be fine. there is decent sized hill that you have to get over between calabasas and agoura, but as long as you don't have a total junker for a car you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:41 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,241 times
There are lots of cars on the freeways most hours of the day. You shouldn't have any problems driving from Pasadena to Westlake Village at 10pm, actually would be a nice drive with minor traffic. The 134 out of Pasadena is a little dark through Eagle Rock. After that it's well lit all the way into the west Valley.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:50 PM

135 posts, read 476,418 times
The 101 at that time of night is fine. There are a few stops that would look dark if you were driving it alone but at that time of night you should have plenty of company. I've found the 134 gets very fast at times so be prepared for that.

One tip I will give you is, if you don't have AAA or a gas credit card or something with towing privileges, get one. I can't tell you how glad I was I had AAA when I had car trouble a few times.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollyoncruiser View Post
The 101 at that time of night is fine. There are a few stops that would look dark if you were driving it alone but at that time of night you should have plenty of company. I've found the 134 gets very fast at times so be prepared for that.

One tip I will give you is, if you don't have AAA or a gas credit card or something with towing privileges, get one. I can't tell you how glad I was I had AAA when I had car trouble a few times.
No kidding, I drive it regularly. Between North Hollywood and the 5, I've seen traffic FLOW at 85+

Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
When you're driving on the 101 heading South East near the 405 interchange, watch out for highway patrol. They are sticklers for getting people there. You may be enticed to go 80 MPH, but trust me, they will catch you.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Drive on the correct side of the freeway and watch out for those who don't. There have been a few instances of wrong-way drivers clobbering and killing unsuspecting travelers on the 101 (at White Oak, Lost Hills and most recently at Fairview in Santa Barbara). Wasn't it the 101 where Nicole Richie was arrested for driving drunk on the wrong side a while back? Oh, and the three instance I'm thinking of, all were caused by drunks, during the evening or night, and each time the drunk survived. Wrong-way driving seems to happen more on the 101 than other L.A. area freeways. Stay safe and alive out there.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 11-15-2009 at 12:04 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 12:38 AM

237 posts, read 668,614 times
All LA freeways are quite drivable and well lit and even exceeded federal standards for several decades because the state standards are so high. Also, the only really poorly lit streets--utterly NO streetlights at all--are some of the most affluent areas because that's the way they like it. You know you are in a wealthy area when it is pitch-black.

I say this having been around the US and having met MANY people who have moved here, and hands down, in general they say California freeways and streets are far better maintained and better lit, better engineered and have better signage and signaling than just about anywhere in the U.S. I would not worry in the least about your commute. CA standards have been adopted by many states, but some states are moving forward with left lane exits from HOV lanes on their freeways, while CA is trying to get rid of all left lane exits and transitions (except for HOV transition to HOV on connection freeway) because they are counter-intuitive and present a greater danger than exiting an HOV lane to move to the right lane to exit freeway.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Watch out for illegally parked big rigs on the south side of the eastbound 101, just east of Las Virgenes. There's a huge pull off there where these guys sleep (I guess to record a minimum number of rest hours before proceeding). This practice isn't an emergency but that's where they park. CHP lets them do it. Also on the 118 between Moorpark and Simi Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles