Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times

Advertisements

Did you just move here? Los Angeles is one of the most expensive areas to live in .. in the country.

Where are you living now?

Keep up the search. A month may not be enough time to find the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewinScal View Post
Thank you both. apolly, I really appreciate the information- it is along the lines of what I was thinking. It seems doable with some major cautions. I really appreciate the throroughness of the answer. If anyone else has any thoughts, please chime in!
If you are going to live in the city of Hawthorne, stick to the areas which are to the west and border Aviation Blvd(the parts closest to the cities of El Segundo and Manhattan Beach)

Old 12-03-2009, 01:15 PM

77 posts, read 303,597 times
Hawthorne is doable. If you really want to know how the particular pocket of Hawthorne really is: Two things you should do. 1. Go by your potential house a few times late on a Friday and Saturday night. Random weeknights wouldn't hurt either to see what comes out a night and what the neighborhood is like. 2. Visit Hawthorne Police Department and ask them what is the area is like where you want to move. 3. Is the area in question riddled with gang graffitti. 4. Ask the local corner store merchant (many times they know, cause there are the ones getting robbed).

A mix of heavy black and hispanic residents doesn't always necessarily mean the neighborhood is "off the hook."

I'll send you a couple of links that may help put your mind at ease.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:01 PM

135 posts, read 476,493 times
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Quote:
Thank you both. apolly, I really appreciate the information- it is along the lines of what I was thinking. It seems doable with some major cautions. I really appreciate the thoroughness of the answer.

No problem NewinScal. I know this area fairly well because I lived near Western and Century for years and was all around in Inglewood, Hawthorne, El Segundo, etc all the time. I never had any major problems like being burgled or robbed. Like I said, the area is made up of mostly Black and Hispanic families with a few Asian families, who are for the most part hardworking blue-collar folks.

There is, however, an element of crime that I'm afraid is just "there" just like crime is "everywhere"! There's no escaping that fact. If you carry yourself in a street-smart way you'll cut down YOUR chances of getting burgled or robbed. If YOU like the place and it fits your needs you will most likely be OK!

All one can do these days in life is try to minimized and deter the chances of getting burgled or robbed. Again: don't place too much stuff in the apartment, watch how you discard packaging, don't leave stuff like bags or even small change (coins) visible in your car! There are no guarantees regardless of where one lives and, due to this rough economy, EVERYWHERE such crimes will be increasing

Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 PM

23 posts, read 79,662 times
Hey NewinScal,

For that rental rate, you should be able to get something decent in good areas. There is no crime free place in L.A. - I believe. But we are talking comparison here.

I am a Realtor in Beach Cities and South Bay, so I do see some good deals sometime - even along the sand.

Of coz there are other factors that I will consider, like commute time, school, etc.. However, for your budget, you can consider some areas in Torrance. A certain part of Torrance has very good school, centrally located, easy access to the beach, shopping, and everything else, yet quite, and safe.

I remember I spoted a couple of good rentals a week ago in West Torrance (the best area in Torrance). I am pretty sure it's in your price range too. I think they are all 3bed/2bath - single family, would it be too big??

The other possible areas are Redondo and El Segundo. Harder to find the whole single family house for $2200. But you never know when that lucky deal comes your way. Believe of not, I have seen one bedroom single house rented in Manhattan Sand Section (1 minutes to the beach - WALK) for under $1800. If anyone who knows Manhattan Beach, that's a smoking deal.

Just keep you eyes open.
Hope this help!

Old 12-05-2009, 06:30 PM

110 posts, read 348,199 times
The rental market in this area is crazy ( to me). And in the processing of looking and considering places I am hearing crazy things from homeowners- they are renting dirty places and saying they are ready. I have seen homes with holes in the wall and even one with 1/2 a container of milk in the fridge. I just saw a home that the landlord claimed was move in ready with no working showers and a growth chart marked on the wall, left by the previous tenant. Another landlord's ad listed that dogs were okay- but in person he said he would only accept dogs if one of us would stay at home all day with the dog. And then they are asking for $6k to $8k to move in- first, last and a security deposit that is equivalent to 1.5 months rent. Finding a place here takes lots of time and energy, and for me, the latter is running out.
Thanks for your encouragement . I know I have to keep at it.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 PM

Hey NewinScal, Sorry that you are running into so many unpleasant incidents.
Would you be open to different areas? After all Hawthrone is not the best area in town. Is your budget in $2000-$2500? I spot a few good one in Torrance. Good single family home with back yards.
I do want to be upfront with you too, I am a Realtor. That's why I am more aware of what's going on in rental and sales. But I am just trying to help. You do not need to do anything with me. If it's OK, I can send you more information on those I mentioned. Very good area, close to the beach, safe, and within the budget of $2000-2500 range, and Torrance school - which is pretty good school district.

Let me know if I can share that information with you. I can direct message to you.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 AM

110 posts, read 348,199 times
Hi,

Thanks for the offer. I would be interested in Torrance that is closer to Redondo - South Torrance is a little further than I want to drive. Please send me a message if you know of anything. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 AM

56 posts, read 133,360 times
I just found this thread and will follow it. We too, are new to LA, temporarily sub-letting but need to find rental place, preferably a house. And while we aren't poor, we aren't loaded either. I've been looking at condos/townhomes the last few days but with 2 dogs, we really prefer house/yard.

To complicate things, our daughter is expecting a baby in February and will move in with us till she graduates from college. I'm concerned we won't be able to find what we can afford without sacrificing safety. Doesn't matter the color of skin living around us, just whether it's a high crime area.

We're also having a hard time finding how to search for property other than craigslist. And it's full of scammers that you have to weed through. Lots of listings for 'rental property' with toll free numbers that are known for scams of one kind or another.

We'd like to be near LAX
2 bath
washer/dryer
yard or at least nearby park if condo.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Hi Cjinca,
I hear u well. I too got all sorts of scam coming in from CL. I love CL,just could be fraustrated sometime. What is your time frame and budget? What is the min bed n bath? Is it OK to Direct Message u?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles