Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:38 PM

652 posts, read 2,804,053 times

Advertisements

Obviously, there are quite a few sour grapes in this thread. Many of you hate people like me -- people who own two Porsches, a Modena, a BMW M5, a Bell 206, a 5 bedroom estate, who are more handsome than Brad Pitt, and who make almost seven figures a year. Don't be jealous simply because I'm superior to most of you. In fact, watch it, or I'll use my vast sums of money and good looks against you in some sort of devious manner.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:41 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
James,

If you truly are financially very well off and not just making light, there is nothing saying that by default you are phony or pretentious (well, except for the tone of your post, unless it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek completely).

I have met some seriously pretentious people who make $30K a year and are killing themselves to afford a leased Lexus to keep up appearances. WAY more than people I know making six figures or more. I grew up wealthy (mid seven figures 25 years ago), and I remember that the stresses of life were still there, you just had nicer surroundings and nicer things around you. So if a person is real with themselves it need not be the deciding factor.

Do I think that people of average or lesser means are often jealous? Sure. Do I think that people of greater means fall into the trap of objectivism? You betcha.

But the OP was asking if LA is seriously phony and pretentious. I would say that compared to MOST of the USA outside of major metro areas, it is, yes. But you can find just as many phony people in a midwest town of 200K people, they just have to work harder at it.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
Talking Champagne Wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
James,

If you truly are financially very well off and not just making light, there is nothing saying that by default you are phony or pretentious (well, except for the tone of your post, unless it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek completely).

I have met some seriously pretentious people who make $30K a year and are killing themselves to afford a leased Lexus to keep up appearances. WAY more than people I know making six figures or more. I grew up wealthy (mid seven figures 25 years ago), and I remember that the stresses of life were still there, you just had nicer surroundings and nicer things around you. So if a person is real with themselves it need not be the deciding factor.

Do I think that people of average or lesser means are often jealous? Sure. Do I think that people of greater means fall into the trap of objectivism? You betcha.

But the OP was asking if LA is seriously phony and pretentious. I would say that compared to MOST of the USA outside of major metro areas, it is, yes. But you can find just as many phony people in a midwest town of 200K people, they just have to work harder at it.
Beam me up,Scottie!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:43 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,585 times
I love this thread ! I swear everyday something makes me shake my head in agreement, chew on some great wisdom (or not) and then a minute later I am laughing my butt off. You guys . . . pure and totally cool. Just tryin' to keep it real in the pretentious and phony thread. Who ever started this one anyway? I'm too lazy to go back. LOL.

Oh Yeah. It was daaaaaaaaaaaave . . .

Old 05-21-2007, 10:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Obviously, there are quite a few sour grapes in this thread. Many of you hate people like me -- people who own two Porsches, a Modena, a BMW M5, a Bell 206, a 5 bedroom estate, who are more handsome than Brad Pitt, and who make almost seven figures a year. Don't be jealous simply because I'm superior to most of you. In fact, watch it, or I'll use my vast sums of money and good looks against you in some sort of devious manner.
I love it!!! James - you da man!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:48 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I love it!!! James - you da man!!!
Hands off Twinkle - he's MINE!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Hands off Twinkle - he's MINE!!!
Okay, okay, I didn't want to have to resort to this but ... I think we're gonna have to hava a "dance off" to see who wins James' heart (and his wallet)!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:44 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Twinkle, you can have the wallet - I want the "more handsome than Brad Pitt" part....and of course there's that "devious manner" mentioned that I find so beguiling...

Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 AM

Yeah, that devious manner thing. Forgot about that ... sounds pretty dang kinky to Mistress Twinkle!

That whole Brad Pitt thing - well, most guys are better looking than Brad Pitt anyway.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 469,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Don't be jealous simply because I'm superior to most of you. In fact, watch it, or I'll use my vast sums of money and good looks against you in some sort of devious manner.
a Febuary 2007 'La Brea study' at UCLA Medical Center which counted each's serotonin reuptake levels for 3 days. ..some one please get his award!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles