Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn's loss was our gain.

Of course, the families living in Chavez Ravine and Tiny Town had a much different opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Brooklyn's loss was our gain.

Of course, the families living in Chavez Ravine and Tiny Town had a much different opinion...
Yeah, well the Angels shoulda stayed in Anaheim, too!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah, well the Angels shoulda stayed in Anaheim, too!
They still play in Anaheim. Since 1967. Before that that played at Chavez Ravine (they didn't call it Dodger Stadium). And before that they played one year (1961) at the Los Angeles Wrigley Field which was located on the other side of the freeway east of the "Mammoth" Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
They still play in Anaheim. Since 1967. Before that that played at Chavez Ravine (they didn't call it Dodger Stadium). And before that they played one year (1961) at the Los Angeles Wrigley Field which was located on the other side of the freeway east of the "Mammoth" Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
But Wrigley Field was a minor league ball park and the Angels play as a Los Angeles team, right? I remember going to see them play in Anaheim back in the 50s! For those of us who lived in Orange County, they were known as an Anaheim team, even if they really weren't.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I remember going to see them play in Anaheim back in the 50s!
No you didn't - unless they played an exhibition game down there. (They used to play a couple games in Palm Springs in spring. I remember going to a game in the mid 1960s there and then again in the late 1980s.)

The Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League (minor league) played at Los Angeles Wrigley Field until 1958. Then the organization moved to WA state (I think Spokane). There was no Angels baseball team until 1961 when an expansion Los Angeles Angels team (no relation whatsoever to the LA Angels of the PCL) joined the American League in 1961. They played their first year 1961 at LA Wrigley Field and then the next five or so years at Chavez Ravine and then they played at brand new Anaheim Stadium in 1967 where they've been ever since.

Wrigley Field in Los Angeles where the Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League played 1926 to 1957. It was located at at 42nd Place and Avalon Boulevard, basically on the other side of the 10 freeway from the Coliseum. The Los Angeles Angels of the American League (completely different franchise from the LA Angels of the PCL who moved to Spokane in 1958) played their first season here in 1961 then moved to Chavez Ravine (the Angel organization didn't call it Dodger Stadium) in 1962 where they played until Anaheim Stadium was built in 1967. I think it was then that the Los Angeles Angels (AL) became the California Angels.

Night Game at Los Angeles Wrigley Field

Demolition of Wrigley Field. Downtown Los Angeles in the background behind left field.

Anaheim Stadium (The Big "A") 1967. It was later enclosed for the Rams and then re-opened in the outfield to its present configuration. Amongst the most spotlessly clean stadiums I have ever been to.

http://www.anaheimcolony.com/images/stadium2222.jpg (broken link)

Gilmore Field in Los Angeles, Home of the Hollywood Stars. Gilmore Field sat between Gilmore Stadium (a football field) and the famous Pan-Pacific Auditorium, along Beverly Boulevard. Must have been tough for a pitcher like at this time of the day as he is almost looking into the sun and pitching into a shadow. Left field points east.

Here's a good shot of Farmers Market, Gilmore Stadium, and Gilmore Field. CBS Television City is about there now. That is 3rd and Fairfax in the immediate foreground.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
No you didn't - unless they played an exhibition game down there. (They used to play a couple games in Palm Springs in spring. I remember going to a game in the mid 1960s there and then again in the late 1980s.)
You're probably right. It must have been am exhibition game. I was seven or eight. What did I know?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
You're probably right. It must have been am exhibition game. I was seven or eight. What did I know?
Too many beers perhaps?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Too many beers perhaps?
That musta been it. Had ta warsh down all them peanuts, dontcha know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles