Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 PM

749 posts, read 1,862,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Did you guys see this?

Killing in L.A. drops to 1967 levels - Los Angeles Times

LA has the lowest homicide rate since 1967. It's another reason why I don't think we'll become another Detroit. Even with the bad economy now. Things seem almost too nonchalant and casual. Esp when you consider the disparity in income, the high number of native born vs foreign born residents. It seems like there's a lot of potential for different clashes (esp in hard times)....but so far it hasn't happened. Pretty amazing I think.
There is another thread on the latest homicide numbers for LA. But I agree within the context of investing in and bringing business to LA this is GOOD news.

Of course, homicide rates have been falling nationwide. But it's easy to forget how BAD things used to be. Changing the tax code or promoting small business is something govt can acutally change. Bringing the homicde rate down is like scaling Mt. Everest....much bigger trends have to break your way as they seem to be doing right now.

I sense the gap between rich and poor is somewhat papered over b/c many "newcomers" are coming from less developed countries. The immigrant has dreams for their children....not necessarily for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 08:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well this sounds like pretty good news:

"Southern California's twin ports are on track to post total exports for the year that approach the records set before the global recession, "

from

Exports at L.A., Long Beach ports at near-record pace - latimes.com
Another, similar article

Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are surging back - latimes.com

side note, if you've never seen one up close, and over the holidays might be good for traffic, consider a drive down to the Port of LA to check out those container ships. Very impressive the size of those things.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,783 times
A lot of my family members are in construction. Those are the ones that are hurting the most around me. The company I work for went on a hiring freeze for three months and laid off around 1000 employees. That was a few months ago. Now they're hiring again.

Nobody in my department was affected but we also went out of our way to get together with the sales department to create revenue for the company. We were also already at "bare bones" capacity and have been for the past couple of years so it was easy to say that we couldn't afford to lose anyone on our team. I still consider myself lucky though.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 AM

Another positive sign

California reverses 4-year trend, uses more gasoline | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times

Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM

More good news

On-location filming in L.A. jumps 37% in December | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 PM

129 posts, read 316,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
A lot of my family members are in construction. Those are the ones that are hurting the most around me. The company I work for went on a hiring freeze for three months and laid off around 1000 employees. That was a few months ago. Now they're hiring again.

Nobody in my department was affected but we also went out of our way to get together with the sales department to create revenue for the company. We were also already at "bare bones" capacity and have been for the past couple of years so it was easy to say that we couldn't afford to lose anyone on our team. I still consider myself lucky though.
This scares me because my husband is in the Southwest Carpenters Union and REALLY needs to get back to work. His unemployment ran out months ago so we're hurting right now. I'm hoping LA construction picks up soon. Are your family members in the union? Have they had any luck with jobs recently? My husband went from making almost $40/hour to NOTHING. I'm a writer and have been able to keep us afloat, but it's getting really hard.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:02 AM

436 posts, read 908,036 times
Well we have Governor moon beem so get ready for higher taxes and less service, just when you thought it couldn't get worse. I wouls seriously consider living somewhere else.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Well we have Governor moon beem so get ready for higher taxes and less service, just when you thought it couldn't get worse. I wouls seriously consider living somewhere else.
What is the absolute worst case Gov Brown's policies could be? How high could he raise taxes? How many services could he cut? What's it going to cost you? $500 a year? $1000/year?

You're going to find another job in another state, lose your seniority at your current job, pay $40,000 to sell your house (10% of a $400,000 house), lose all your friends, say good bye to your family, endure crappier weather, make all new connections, investigate a whole new slew of doctors...

...for a $500 a year?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Whether you were for or against him, why don't you give him a chance before you give up?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM

436 posts, read 908,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What is the absolute worst case Gov Brown's policies could be? How high could he raise taxes? How many services could he cut? What's it going to cost you? $500 a year? $1000/year?

You're going to find another job in another state, lose your seniority at your current job, pay $40,000 to sell your house (10% of a $400,000 house), lose all your friends, say good bye to your family, endure crappier weather, make all new connections, investigate a whole new slew of doctors...

...for a $500 a year?
Based on his past record hang on to you're wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles