Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 8,794 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am currently in Las Vegas, NV and looking into moving to Los Angeles this upcoming August to go to Santa Monica College. I've been looking around for the past couple of months and I know that it is very expensive there. I've been considering Westwood and Culver City since its somewhat cheaper. Just wanted to ask a couple of questions:
- What places around Santa Monica are somewhat affordable for a student in college?
-Are there places that have a number of SMC students that rent there?
- How do I look for a job? I heard its hard to look for a job in LA and I want to make sure that I have a job before I move there in August (if not, then within two months of moving there).
- Other than Craigslist, is there any other way I can find good listings of apartments in LA?

I am moving with a friend and will be sharing the apartment together. We hope for 2 rooms if its affordable but I don't think that's going to happen. If anything, we want a one bedroom apartment. Maybe even a studio.

We don't want to pay more than $800 each ($1600 a month). We'll have cars so commuting won't be too much of a hassle (I just don't want to live too far from Santa Monica to have to drive for over 45 minutes. That's horrible.).

Anything is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 AM

122 posts, read 539,488 times
As far as finding really affordable places in or near Santa Monica, most people resort to renting places out in Palms, which isn't that far. I've chanced upon some listings via westsiderentals in Culver City and Mar Vista that were offering 2 bedroom rentals for around 1500-1600. Cheap housing in Santa Monica will be hard to find, though I do have friends that have found cheap places. One has the honor of living in a two bedroom rent controlled apt., the other found an old unit with an old landlord who was charging 1970s prices- very rare, but possible to find on the Westside.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,794 times
That sounds like good deal. But how is it living there? Environment wise?

In Vegas, there really is no "real" ghetto. I live on the nicer side of Vegas too. I can walk outside right now and I wouldn't worry about getting killed or anything. I know LA is different than Vegas and I'll have to adjust.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xitskaibabyyy View Post
Hello everyone! I am currently in Las Vegas, NV and looking into moving to Los Angeles....and I know that it is very expensive there.
Make sure you factor into your living expenses the amount you would need to pay in nonresident fees (at least the first year) to attend Santa Monica College: Residency Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles