Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times

Advertisements

There was a little circuit - The Sunset Strip, The Gold Coast (Oxnard-Ventura-SB), The Valley. There was a tight "family" of bands making the circuit:

Ventura County Reporter - The Life & Death of the Ventura County Music Scene

Great memories.

Amazingly, my teeth all survived intact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 PM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There was a little circuit - The Sunset Strip, The Gold Coast (Oxnard-Ventura-SB), The Valley. There was a tight "family" of bands making the circuit:

Ventura County Reporter - The Life & Death of the Ventura County Music Scene

Great memories.

Amazingly, my teeth all survived intact!
Thanks for the link to the article. +1

It's only in the past year that I had even heard the term, "nardcore."

Dr. Know had such a big presence in L.A. that I always assumed that they were an L.A. band.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:45 PM

Another classic band of that "family" was Suicidal Tendencies ... "all I wanted was a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me!" ... LOLOL!!!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I remember back in the day at the Strand. Those were the days.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Another classic band of that "family" was Suicidal Tendencies ... "all I wanted was a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me!" ... LOLOL!!!
Wait. I know ST was often associated with acts like Dr. Know (also Beowulf) but I'm sure they were L.A. (Venice) all the way; not nardcore. It's hard to overstate how awesome Suicidal's self-titled album was: "I Saw Your Mommy" and "I Shot the Devil" (Reagan, actually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I remember back in the day at the Strand. Those were the days.
Localism central.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
An absolute legendary classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7wODNrzTw

Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 PM

These are some of my personally owned flyers.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:39 PM

Some additional ones from the web.

7 Seconds\Adolesdents: March 4 @ Country Club, Reseda

Angry Samoans\S.S.D\D.Y.S: Sunday 27 March @ The Channel

Discharge\Suicidal Tendencies\M.D.C\Dr Know\Offenders: Dec 10, 1983 @ LA Casa De La Raza, Santa Barbara. CA <---- This was a bad a__ show, look at the line up!

D.R.I\Dr Know\Blast: May 24 @ Sunvalley Sportsmans Hall

(note responding to an above post, correct, ST were from Venice. The "family" extended beyond "Nardcore" bands per se)

Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 PM

Nice collection of flyers, Charles. Gotta love the Raymond Pettibon artwork. Did you pick these up or are they from ebay?

I have a mini-collection myself, although they skew towards the early speed-metal scene.

One of my prizes is a beautiful, graduated-green colored flyer for X; The Dickies; Jane's Addiction at CSUN. I have a couple other colored flyers. They all fade from one color to another--were they all printed by the same company?

Other bands associated with Suicidal Tendencies were Excel and No Mercy.

The Waters Club in San Pedro was pretty cool (saw Dark Angel there).

Old 12-23-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Nice collection of flyers, Charles. Gotta love the Raymond Pettibon artwork. Did you pick these up or are they from ebay?

I have a mini-collection myself, although they skew towards the early speed-metal scene.

One of my prizes is a beautiful, graduated-green colored flyer for X; The Dickies; Jane's Addiction at CSUN. I have a couple other colored flyers. They all fade from one color to another--were they all printed by the same company?

Other bands associated with Suicidal Tendencies were Excel and No Mercy.

The Waters Club in San Pedro was pretty cool (saw Dark Angel there).
All those flyers I acquired myself at shows. When you went to shows there were always people handing out flyers for upcoming shows. I saw many bands at CSUN (I was a student there in the early 1980s) also Godzillas in Sunland (I think) and tons of places in Hollywood like Florentine Gardens and lots of small venues on side streets. I remember seeing TSOL (maybe it was Wasted Youth, now I forget) at Alpine Village in Torrance. I saw the Adolescents and the Ramones at Perkins Palace in Pasadena. Some some other bands at the Country Club in Reseda.

When Black Flag played at Devonshire Downs, I sort of helped them set up, simple stuff like running their cables. I chatted with Chuck Dukowski the bassist - he seemed the most "normal", and when I met Henry Rollins he was sleeping on the dirty floor of the building wearing only a pair of dirty jeans and Vans. He was quite thin then. They had this old white POS van with the Black Flag logo painted on the side.

I didn't realize Jane's Addiction went that far back, but from Wikipedia it looks like they go back to 1985.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles