Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:41 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

There are some (although I think you're right, not many) in Sierra Madre for that budget (and in South Pasadena, too), at least for a 1 BR, but I'm assuming that even in this seemingly slower rental market the good ones go fast. All of these areas are pretty popular, so to the OP: I'd come prepared to put in an application on the spot if you see something you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 03:47 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Yeah, but if he lives in the cities that surround these parks he will not be in an area like he specifically asked for. I immediately thought of Sierra Madre when I read his description but I haven't seen any apartments there so I was surprised to hear that there are apartments there and especially at that price. Sierra Madre is awesome for a small town feel. If I could afford a house there, that's where I would live.
Yeah, but I was thinking about the Station Fire. Did the hills above Sierra Madre burn? I know they burned above Azusa and La Crescenta/La Canada.

I was also thinking about that "less than an hour" commute to downtown.

If you live near Griffith Park in the Los Feliz area, there are three places (upper Vermont Avenue and two other streets that I can't think of the name of right now) that give you that "small town, no chain stores, village" kind of feel.

Alhambra and South Pasadena are near Debs Park.

Anyway, there are places near the city that offer recreation that doesn't feel like you're in the city.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 AM

304 posts, read 931,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle06 View Post
It's tough to sound very manly while asking about a "cute" town but that's the best way to describe what we're looking for. I asked a similar question a few months ago but can't find the thread.

I may be getting a new job which could require re-locating to the LA or Bay areas. We currently live in Golden, CO (just west of Denver, in the foothills) and absolutely love it. I've spent hours researching the Bay Area and have found many little cities in the area that may be a good match (Marin Count cities, Walnut Creek, Pleasantville, etc) but haven't had as much luck looking around LA.

Here's what we're looking for::
-less than an hour commute to downtown
-outdoors oriented community. We want to be close to trails for trail running and mountain biking. I'm not talking paved suburban trails, but dirt trails in the foothills.
-smaller town feel. My wife loves to spend her afternoons here walking down to the rec center, drinking her coffee by the river, and walking into town for lunch.
-anything but bland, suburban, franchise, sprawl. I don't mind driving to suburban shopping areas for grocery stores and the necessary Target/WalMart type shopping but that's only a few times a month.

Oh yeah....then there's the whole cost of living thing. Need a 1-2 bedroom apartment for <$1500/month.

Am I dreaming here or is this possible?

Thanks
-------------------------------------
For $1500 a month you can skip most of the Bay Area.

LA isnt much cheaper but it is possible.
A 1 bedroom condo for that price is findable but barely.
Any way you can raise that figure?

As for walkability try America's Most Walkable Neighborhoods - Walkability Rankings of the Largest 40 U.S. Cities

LA area is dotted with small villages that are springing back up from days of yore. The city is so huge, people crave a village atmosphere within the
city. I see them all over.

I too recoil against the sameness of the burbs but people live outside the city because it is more affordable. Of course they spend the differenc on gas.

I would find work first then look for an appropriate place to live.
Best wishes!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
If you can find something in your price range, first I would look into So Pasadena, then Sierra Madre, Monrovia is another possibility but it might be getting a little further out.

Nita

Old 12-23-2009, 04:32 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Monrovia is further out but being close to the 605 may help.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM

137 posts, read 428,969 times
Thanks guys. I'll add all of these to my list to explore when we come out in April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles