Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 AM

9 posts, read 62,057 times

Advertisements

Thank you for replying. I remember when those backyard survey markers were installed. They were on wood stakes with a ribbon. Clearly not permanent markers. The front of the property has permanent markers in the sidewalk. My neighbor on the east side of my property gave me a copy of her survey taken in 1975. Our property size in this area are all the same, 50x150 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,412 times
my neighbor is in jail for a long time, his tree are pushing my link fence, do not know in what jail he is ?.. How can I contact him ?.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:18 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
You are solving the wrong problem!

Correct solution:

And I'm not a lawyer but I got legal advice on this. At least in Los Angeles County fences and walls are common property owned by both parties who own the adjacent properties, and maintaining the common fence is a legal responsibility. I was informed that I could get an estimate to repair, maintain or replace the fence, then mail my neighbor a copy of the estimate and a request or demand that the neighbor agree to pay half of the cost. (Request sounds nicer.) I was told that after a sufficient time has passed with no response or agreement, I can have the work done and once again request/demand the neighbor reimburse me for half of the cost. I was told that after a reasonable time passes I can then file suit in small claims court. Note that every step of a successful small claims court case involves complete documentation.

Practical solution:

Let your neighbor's yucca grow into your yard and just build the fence over the part that humps above the ground, and put up with the unsightly bulge protruding into your yard. Yech!!!! I hate yuccas! I had some that were ruing my fence and I paid to have them yanked. Money well spent!

Hardball solution:

Dig down and around until all the roots on your side of the wall are exposed. Drill a few holes in advantageous places. Pour a few gallons of herbicide in the hole. Toss in some dirt and throw in a few more gallons of herbicide. Oops, accidentally pour in a few more gallons. Toss in the dirt but don't pack it too hard, you'll be digging it up again a few months later. (Time passes...) Okay now you got a dead yucca plant. Dig the hole again and clear cut the roots right at the property line as deep as you need to go, throw away all the vegetable matter and fill in the dirt, finish your fence.

Opinion: People who plant yuccas should be shot. Yech!!!

Advice: Pay for a re-survey of just that one line. Probably money well spent, particularly when you end up in court. I think one way or another this is headed to court (unless you just wimp out) and that is the time to have all our paper lined up. And please, consult with a lawyer. I got my JD/LL.D degree watching Judge Judy!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:28 AM

9 posts, read 62,057 times
Update!!

I had it with loss of privacy and security without a back fence. I got my saw and cut the base of the yucca that was on my property line. Before that I got a survey, the second one. In order to get an accurate survey, I dug out the mass of bamboo which had grown into my property on the east side. The surveyor was able to place markers. Then I got workers to install a fence. That is when I realized how much of a pain this neighbor really was. He harassed the workers constantly. I stood out there all the time holding the fort! Neighbor kept yelling about "two inches." So where four posts should meet where four properties meet, my post is set back 2". Why? The property on the east side of the neighbor was rebuilt and the fence person could not find the property line due to the bamboo, so he made a 2" set back to be save. That means this a... knew where the property line was all along!!
Later that year I had surgery on my right hand due to carpal tunnel. Then I did nothing. Yep call me a wimp. But now the roots of the neighbor's Liquid Amber are uprooting my fruit trees and I'm furious. I lost a peach and apricot these past few months. So I am on the war path with my recipiating saw, cutting into the ground to cut the life out of those roots. This is trespassing!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:34 AM

Don't forget your herbicide.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:14 PM

231 posts, read 379,427 times
I second the herbicide.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM

Even better, install a few PVC pipes in convenient places for re-dosing. Cut at ground level. From time to time get a funnel and the gallon of herbicide and repeat.

Any part of a plant that is on my property is my plant.

Warning: don't go chopping down parts of trees casually. If the tree falls down you might have just opened up a bigger can of worms than you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles