Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 12,609 times

Advertisements

Hello, I´m thinking about moving there, I´m a spanish girl who has been working as a secretary in my dad´s bussines, Im going to LA on March to take an Intensive English Course, I´d to work as a translator, for example, but Im up for almost all kind of jobs, could anyone help me about it?
Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 12:57 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,247 times
Since you already speak Spanish you are half way there. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find a secretary position needing a Spanish speaking person but do take your English course because correct spelling is very important.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:09 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
You'll need a visa that permits you to work in the U.S. Those are not easy to get so you should check out the requirements for that first.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 PM

Thanks Osuzana, Im going to take my Intensive English Course on March. I am filling already for my studen Visa. The problem is that I dont have a certificate to be convalidated there, I have alot of experience but I cant show it in a paper.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:46 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,247 times
I heard about how lovely Spain is so why would you want to move to L.A. Do you know anyone here? To be a foreigner and have no friends or family in a foreign land and a city as big as L.A. would be quite challenging.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM

122 posts, read 348,958 times
One of the best things to do would be to have a job here already. Have you checked out working for schooldistricts, universities, or government offices that need Spanish translators? Definitely check private schools as well.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newflowers View Post
One of the best things to do would be to have a job here already. Have you checked out working for schooldistricts, universities, or government offices that need Spanish translators? Definitely check private schools as well.

Good luck!
The Op has posted twice with similar questions and been advised, she will need a work permit. She also wants to attend college while here. I think it would be best if she talks to the Embassy to find out what is really required..It isn't going to be easy for her, but you are right about a good place to consider working, school districts and private schools would be number one. Again, she needs to check her plan out pretty closely.

My understanding is, she may not be able to get both a student visa and a work visa plus she doesn't have her college degree yet...

Nita

Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 PM

122 posts, read 539,392 times
She can get a student visa if she applies for an Extension program, say with UCLA (not sure if USC Extension offers an English enhancement program). Normally foreign students are allowed to work part-time at their campus- but the should check with the proper campus official (ie international office) before proceeding.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Thank you very much for your comments, I am already filling for my student Visa, I finally chose an Intensive English Course, at the Ucla extension for 3 months, to improve my English. I dont have enough money to make it longer, but I hope having a certificate to prove my English and later study a translator course. Im looking for an apartment too.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM

187 posts, read 481,540 times
Stay out of East Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: