U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 02:55 PM

254 posts, read 1,789,999 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Our rent is month-to-month, due on the 1st of each month, in our duplex. We owe him a 30 day written notice of our intent to vacate. We are closing on a new construction townhome which should be finished mid-January, with an expected close date soon after.

My question is, if I give my 30 day notice on say January 10th (which will take us here to about February 10th) does that mean I have to pay just the 10 prorated days in February or will I have to pay for the full month of February. My opinion is only the prorated days, but I'm not sure.

I'm asking because today is the first, and I'm debating if we should give notice now... or wait until another week or so until I am absolutely sure of the closing date on our new home.

Reference here:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs (http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/moving-out.shtml - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 PM

687 posts, read 814,645 times
I would think the ten prorated days sounds fair but just to be safe since you don't seem certain of your closing date why not pay for the entire month of February so you don't stress about it?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM

4,396 posts, read 6,625,347 times
It is up to the landlord to pro rate, or not pro rate.
Give your notice today (in writing).
If you don't give it, or pay rent on the day it is due, you can be charged a late charge.
A written notice to vacate is in leiu of rent payment, and they must be filed in a timely manner.
You can ask if the rent can be pro rated.
Bob.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 PM

95 posts, read 239,981 times
In my experience, the monthly rent has always been prorated. If I moved out on the 15th I only pay for half the month. But I think it depends on each landlord and I would ask them to make sure.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 24,803,497 times
When I bought my house I kept my duplex for a extra month to make moving easier.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 13,247 times
so many people here do not know what is what.

In florida, Month to month is just that. Even if you dont have a lease. It is not up to the TENANT to change mid-stream!
rent is MONTHLY if its month to month.

IF month to month, a notice is not 30 days. Its 15 days without a lease, or on a month to month from either party unless stated differently in a written lease. ONLY a yearly is 30 days. Weekly is 7 days notice according to law.
If you live there and rent is due and you were there, its due!
like anything else.

If you deicde to take off the 3rd week without notice, you own the whole month.
Its not a weekly rental on a month to month. Unless the renter suddeny changes it weekly, Its not something one party just changes because they want to change it. It has no barrings on if your at home or on a 3 week trip. If your renting your renting, per terms agreed when you mobed in. With a 15 day monthly notice to move, at that point, it would most likely be pro-rated if you go over the due date of rent because you gave such notice. And if you clean after yourself.

I rent and have a monthy rental. (odd as that seems). I am surprised at how bold month to monthly renters can be. With rent, Others property, and the consideration of others people have. I guess that is why so many can not rent another way.

If people have open communications, respect for each other, then most problems would not be a problem!

Last edited by missci6; 10-28-2010 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: it submitted before I finished

Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM

11,082 posts, read 13,109,957 times
Generally speaking month-to-month means the alternative to leasing. In month-to-month the tenant can decide to terminate by giving 30 days notice at any time, and owes rental only to the stated termination date (30 days later). A lease is for a stated period (e.g. 6 months) and the tenant is obligated to pay for the entire lease period irrespective if tenant decides to move. Leases are generally paid monthly just like month-to-month (no lease) rentals.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 PM

422 posts, read 1,536,743 times
Motifone, I hope you can tell that this is NOT the forum to find a definitive answer to your question. What you will find is a range of opinions offered by people, most of whom are positive they're right (but have nothing to lose if they're wrong).

MY opinion is to go to Nolo Press (nolo.com) and find some relevant literature written by lawyers.

Last edited by Cubancoffee; 10-28-2010 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 03:37 PM

362 posts, read 668,375 times
It's actually cut & dry... Legally it is pro-rated. There's actually an example that very specifically addresses this scenario on page 50 of this document:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 PM

11 posts, read 95,154 times
yes, it sound fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or