U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 AM

35 posts, read 123,925 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. Like California, Florida is a big place. Winter temps up in Jax-just south of the Georgia border-are dramatically colder than winter temps in Miami. In fact a typical winter day in South Florida is much like a typical summer day in coastal SoCal, i.e. highs around 80 lows around 60 with little rain and relatively low humidity. A rare cold spell in South Florida is like an average winter day in coastal SoCal, i.e. highs in the 60's, lows in the high 40's. Miami sees between zero and 10 of those a year.

Further north in Orlando, Tampa, Jax, winter weather is more akin to 'Valley" winters. Wild card chances of 80's but a ton of days with 55 highs and lows around freezing.

State wide Florida has been VERY cold the past week. Naturally if it's below zero in the Northern U.S. a hint of those arctic temps are going to drift down the entire Eastern seaboard.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,219,510 times
So much for the cold fronts. We've only had a few days where lows were in the 30s in my area, maybe only 2 so far this winter. Regarding clear skies, yeah its clear but the air is far from clean. Just take a look at statistics published by the American Lung Association for proof. L.A. is #1 in the country for poor air quality. So my comments are not incorrect.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM

305 posts, read 777,452 times
The City of LA will likely not get below 38.
The suburbs can get around freezing.
The exurbs will dip below that every so often.
And of course the mountains are like any other mountains; there is snow, etc.

Generally, weather in LA is amazingly peaceful with some decent rain in February.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,306,579 times
I'm in OC and I'm freezing to death. I have to blast the heater and I cannot leave the house unless I'm wearing a thick coat, a hat, mittens and two pairs of socks. It's not literally freezing but it sure feels like it. It's 48F right now but to me that is freezing. I don't even want to leave my house in this weather.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 AM

40 posts, read 81,259 times
I have seen snow on the ground in Torrance. Didn't stay long. Ca is a big place though. Further you get from the ocean the colder it normally gets. Although living next to the ocean the high humidity makes it seem cold. I'll go with the 38 degrees as a low near the ocean.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,160,941 times
You all in the southern regions are so fortunate to not get real cold weather ! We already had 31 below zero up here, (north central Mt.) and it was still fall !

Old 01-08-2010, 01:00 AM

53 posts, read 129,307 times
For some reason, weather threads seem particularly prone to inspiring vitriol, so I feel like I'm wading into a dangerous zone by responding. But I have to say that I have to respectfully disagree with AliveandWell's comments. As someone who went to college away from SoCal where I grew up, LOVES the four seasons -- I can't wait to go back to school in New England this weekend despite the subfreezing temperatures -- that having to put on a sweater at night and then "putting up" with 75-80F temperatures in the daytime is a dream for a lot of people around the country.

I have a soft spot for wool coats and scarves and all that stuff (perhaps because I didn't grow up with them?), but having to de-coat, de-glove, de-scarf, de-hat every time you enter a room and then put everything back on when you go outside, or walking outside and feeling like your ears are being literally frozen solid and then feeling pins and needles as you regain feeling inside, does get old real quick. I love crisp 30-degree days too, but it's not as if every winter day in the rest of country is a crisp sunny non-windy 30-degree day. Far from it, really. The other thing is that we don't have to deal with digging cars out of snow, slipping on black ice in the street, shoveling sidewalks, frozen pipes, etc. As a college student who (very thankfully) doesn't have to personally take care of 3 out of 4 of those -- I do slip, to my chagrin -- I love winter, but I can see how someone in a different life situation might be very happy not to have to deal with any of those either.

As for air pollution, I don't really know enough -- I'm aware of the statistics and there's no denying we're no. 1, but at the same time in the *short term* I don't think the majority of people (barring say the asthmatic) are wheezing on a daily basis. Then again, blame my naivete on being young -- I'll probably be eating my words in several years.

Last edited by andrewesque; 01-08-2010 at 01:17 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,219,510 times
Here's one thing I found out today since we're talking about cold fronts. On Saturday in Orlando, the high is expected to be 44F and snow is in the forecast. Talk about cold. Meanwhile in L.A.(at least in my area) it will be 72F and partly cloudy. There won't be any cold fronts where I am.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:07 PM

3,731 posts, read 4,933,164 times
As a child living in Highland Park it was not unusual for the water in my dogs dish to freeze a few times each winter. During the winter every night on the radio was a segment that gave the predicted low temperatures for that night in the farming areas, so that the citrus growers could ready their smudge pots, if needed. And yes, it really did snow in LA in January 1949. Pretty much all gone by late morning, but great fun while it lasted.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM

269 posts, read 774,218 times
If I remember correctly, a few years ago it snowed in Westwood. I remember watching kids throw snowballs on the evening news. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or