Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,684 times

Advertisements

hello, in a few months I am going to be moving to LA for law school. I got into my #1 choice so I'm very excited, but I am from the Midwest and I don't know a whole lot about the city so I've been trying to do a lot of research (this site has been very helpful!)
I wanted to ask for advice on my move. Anything from neighborhoods I should consider to grocery stores to moving tips would be helpful.

Here are the facts:
My school is located Downtown.
I am not bringing a car with me so i need to be within walking/public transit distance of everything (insurance, parking, gas &c. are way too expensive considering that 1L's can't work).
I can spend about $1000 per month on rent.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i'm guessing you'll be attending loyola law. knowing that and the fact that you won't have a car, you'll want to live downtown. i would live somewhere near the 110 freeway so you'll be walking distance to the campus as well as the the ralphs market on 9th street. there are a bunch of tuscan style complexes with italian names that you may consider. not sure about rent though, but $1k should get at least get you a studio. other than that, i would recommend having a bicycle and getting to know the bus/rail system.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
BRin, I wonder if she will be attending USC? Either would be considered downtown I would think....Hopefully she will get back to us so we can help her even more...

OP, $1000 will be pushing but you should be able to find something decent in that price range, yes, it may be just a studio.

Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM

thank you for the feedback! I will be going to Loyola & while I need to be able to get to and from the school without a car I wouldn't have any problem with living a few miles away if I am able to take a bus or a train to school. I've been looking into some other neighborhoods like Los Feliz/Silverlake areas.
As for the type of place I'm looking for, I would be okay with a studio, 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom (with a roommate) so long as the rent is around $1000 a month.
If anyone has any other tips or ideas on where I should look or even what I should be doing/thinking about before the big move it would help me out a lot!
thank you
--L

Old 01-05-2010, 02:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
downtown is much more walkable than silver lake and is also the hub of our limited rail network, so it is probably your best bet. you may also try getting in on a short term lease somewhere near the campus and explore other neighborhoods that might work for you in the meantime. you may end up really liking downtown of prefer somewhere else with easy bus/rail access. i would start with the easiest option for now and go from there.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
downtown is much more walkable than silver lake and is also the hub of our limited rail network, so it is probably your best bet. you may also try getting in on a short term lease somewhere near the campus and explore other neighborhoods that might work for you in the meantime. you may end up really liking downtown of prefer somewhere else with easy bus/rail access. i would start with the easiest option for now and go from there.
I agree and think she might be wise to look for a roommate, maybe someone starting law school like her. Then the rent seems reasonable don't you think?

Nita

Old 01-10-2010, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,706 times
Hi; My husband & I have been renting out our lg. extra rm. with private full bath to exchange students. If interested please contact us:audd2@aol.com
We live in Hollywood near Sunset Bl. & Laurel Canyon access to everything & good bus transportation, just 1/2 block away.
Audrey & Jovan

Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
FYI, the walk from the subway to Loyola is pretty far, and not a good neighborhood. In fact, at night an absolutely horrible neighborhood to be walking around in.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
FYI, the walk from the subway to Loyola is pretty far, and not a good neighborhood. In fact, at night an absolutely horrible neighborhood to be walking around in.
yeah the more i look into this the more i think i might have to bring a car with me :P i've been spoiled, i'm too used to being able to walk wherever i need to go. also thank you Audrey Hieb for the offer, that was very nice of you but i think that i am looking for a separate apartment.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 PM

40 posts, read 172,096 times
TRUST ME

No matter what anyone tells you, LA is a pure, raw, unashamed car-based city. Don't attempt the pedestrian life you may be familiar with because after about 5pm, the downtown areas all turn into the absolute ghetto. You don't want to be there. If you have a car, you are mobile. Without one, you will be walking endless tracts of wide streets and crummy sidewalks past all sorts of ghetto elements in order to get a Starbucks. It's not going to work. Get a car and live in a 150sq foot apartment instead. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles