U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,237 times
Default eviction

what grounds can someone get evicted? Can it be forl late payment of rent?

Last edited by booboo54; 01-04-2010 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: not what i wanted to write
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,448,402 times
yes

Old 01-06-2010, 12:37 AM

502 posts, read 521,106 times
Late payment of rent which means NO PAYMENT OF RENT is number reason for eviction and esp. for a rent controlled building, the number one way to get a tenant out.

If you are late, landlord gives you a 3 day pay/quit. If you do not pay within those three days, the landlord does not have to accept your rent and then can evict you.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:14 AM

5,489 posts, read 4,705,422 times
My old landlord told me that if a person pays late three times that he can make moves to evict them. I don't think he ever did, but he had the option to do so.

Whatever happens YOU DO NOT WANT AN EVICTION on your credit report. It's better to leave BEFORE eviction proceedings start and let your landlord sue you for the overdue balance.

It's really hard to come back from that or rent in a decent area in most places. Landlords and property managers can overlook bad credit by making you pay extra in security, but they will most definitely frown upon an eviction. It's costly to get a tenant out and takes up to six months in tenant friendly cities like LA and NYC.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 AM

13,506 posts, read 24,647,711 times
My advice is to never let it get to the point where the sheriff comes to put you out... at best... you get a few more weeks and the trade-off is an eviction on your record.

Some owners will compromise and let you go... it costs money to evict and takes time...

Court Records of Unlawful Detainer show up on background checks...

Here's a State of California Link for more information about renting in CA

Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 AM

40 posts, read 60,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo54 View Post
what grounds can someone get evicted? Can it be forl late payment of rent?
If they don't pay rent (3 day notice to pay or quit)
Or for any reason they want to get rid of you (30 day notice to quit)

I have found that it is better to try, at least try, to have a good relationship with tennants. Then if all else fails get rid of them.

Sometimes it may be that the owner just wants to sell the property.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:43 AM

40 posts, read 60,829 times
I know an eviction can hurt your credit that is why I would try to be nice and ask first, or explain the problem. Most tennants in LA area have to fill out a credit check application before they can get into a rental. Depending of course how easy or hard it is to find rentals. I owned rentals for 25 years in SoCA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles