U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,312,954 times
Default Who is familiar with Hollywood blvd/Highland in L.A? How did I get lost? Was Mapquest wrong?

I drove from OC with the intention of going to the intersection of Hollywood blvd and Highland.

I exited he 101N at Higland ave/Hollywood blvd.. Now mapquest said "

turn slight right onto Odin st
Left on Highland
Right on Hollywood blvd

The thing is that there WAS no Odin st.. Perhaps there was but I couldn't see it... I think I somehow ended up on Hollywood blvd but I passed it all the way down and I starting seeing a sign "Echo Park"... I think I passed little Armenia and little Thailand...

Where was this Odin st supposed to be? On Mapquest it looks like it goes in a circle and then goes into Hollywood blvd but I didn't see it at all when I was driving!

What did I do wrong? I couldn't find this intersection at all.

And the worst part is you can't make u-turns on streets like Hollywood blvd or Sunset blvd so it's really hard... Are you supposed to drive around the block and bust a u-turn that way?

It's really difficult for me to drive in L.A. I have lived in OC all my life and here there's many lanes and it's easy to bust a U... In LA, I just get scared and end up going straight and ending up in some different city because I can't seem to bust a u...

Also, I noticed that the streets curve so much in L.A.. even Sunset etc... I just get scared driving there... Also, people from OC, how long did it take you to get used to driving in L.A? I live in OC but sometimes I would like to visit L.A but the driving really scares me. Mainly it's the narrow streets, winding crazy curvy roads that go up a hill (like Laurel Canyon dr)... I got lost tonight and ended up on there because it was dark and the road was extremely curvy and people were driving fast... Also I'm not familiar with any of these streets at all so it makes it really stressful because I can't anticipate the curves... unless I have a car in front of me.

Also, what is up with this one part of the fwy, i think its either the 101 or 5 or both where it curves like CRAZY and you go under a bridge and it's really narrow?? That part is really scary. I am seriously surprised that there haven't been many accidents there etc. Does anyone know what part I'm talking about?

Last edited by jackie100; 01-07-2010 at 04:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Status: "there are no kings inside the gates of Eden" (set 3 days ago)

9,612 posts, read 7,093,874 times
I have seen other forum reports that MapQuest does not work well in LA for some reason. In planning my own trip out there I have noticed that addresses can be off by a block or more where they actually are. Both Bing and Google seem to work much better.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM

20,516 posts, read 10,902,135 times
jackie,

I don't know about the Mapquest thing, but you have NAILED driving in L.A. It's a challenge, but those narrow, curvy streets are part of the whole experience. And narrow freeway means OLD freeway. I grew up in O.C., but at a time when if you wanted to do anything, you had to go to L.A. So, if my friends and I wanted to go to The Whiskey, (I'm old) the drive through L.A. was just part of it.

I used to study street maps so I had a pretty good idea of how L.A. was laid out. That helped a lot. (That and being a geography geek.)

Now I love all those curvy, hilly streets. Moved to AZ and here if the road hits a hill (they call them mountains which makes me laugh) the road just stops! and you have to drive all over creation to get to the other side.

Hang in there. L.A. is such a cool, unique town it's worth the struggle of getting around.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 PM

9,798 posts, read 12,386,429 times
Either way you had fun didn't you? Lots to see around that part of the city.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 PM

132 posts, read 235,399 times
There is an Odin St but you catch it by bearing to the right once you've taking the exit off the 101. You should've veered right to Odin, which loops back under the 101 and brings you to Highland Ave where you would've taken a left to get to Hollywood & Highland a few blocks down.

I think what you did was when you exited the 101, you continue straight past where you should've veered right, to that intersection at the end of the exit ramp which would be Cahuenga Blvd. You took a right there and drove down to Hollywood Blvd and took a left. That sent you away from where you were trying to go.

You should try Google Maps. It has this satellite feature which may prove helpful in future. It allows you to be able to see not only the mapped out area but the front door of the place you're wanting to get to.

Last edited by apollyoncruiser; 01-07-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM

557 posts, read 1,514,292 times
But a Thomas Bros map or get a Garmin. And 3 rights plus a left equals a U turn, go around the block.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollyoncruiser View Post
There is an Odin St but you catch it by bearing to the right once you've taking the exit off the 101. You should've veered right to Odin, which loops back under the 101 and brings you to Highland Ave where you would've taken a left to get to Hollywood & Highland a few blocks down.

I think what you did was when you exited the 101, you continue straight past where you should've veered right, to that intersection at the end of the exit ramp which would be Cahuenga Blvd. You took a right there and drove down to Hollywood Blvd and took a left. That sent you away from where you were trying to go.

You should try Google Maps. It has this satellite feature which may prove helpful in future. It allows you to be able to see not only the mapped out area but the front door of the place you're wanting to get to.
Thanks, I will try google maps too.

You are right, on Mapquest I saw Odin as a "loop". I think I did what you saw because I ended up on Hollywood blvd and later I think it turned into Sunset blvd. I never even saw where I would be able to veer into Odin. I must be blind because I completely missed it.

If I was on Hollywood blvd I thought I would keep going and eventually find Highland but I never found it for some reason.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Either way you had fun didn't you? Lots to see around that part of the city.
Not really. I actually went for an interview/audition and I could not find my location so I went there for nothing.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM

I am also afraid of the hills. It seems like if you accidentally turn into a wrong street in LA you are going to end up going up a windy road that goes up a hill, It's scary because you can't see the road ahead and if you aren't familiar with the road how do you know how its going to curve? Plus I have a phobia that my car might roll back down the hill...

I get really scared so i end up driving slow like 35mph and I feel like the people behind me want to run me off the road because I'm too slow. I just feel like if I go faster I will get in a car accident because I'm very "Afraid" when I'm not familiar with the road because I don't know how it will curve.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,905,009 times
Odin is a very short street- I recall catching a blur of it while heading to the Bowl. These days I take the subway to Hollywood/High and catch the shuttle to the Bowl. Driving around that area is no fun. I suspect the winding 'freeway' you refer to is the Arroyo Seco Parkway, aka the 110 freeway. Built in 1939, and the ramps slow you down to 5 MPH! Gets some getting used to. Like anything else, the more you drive up here, the more used to it you get.

You should try navigating up the 'Avenues' and hilly streets in Mt Washington/Highland Park. I've lived up here for 15 years and still get lost every once in awhile. I always find something cool every time I get lost, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles