U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 12:53 PM

111 posts, read 120,981 times

Advertisements

go to brazil and wilmington and get back to us lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 AM

68 posts, read 140,520 times
The OP on this is something I see a lot of on the internet, which is Swedish kids wanting Americans to know how hard their hoods are. Compton is big and has good and bad parts, just like South Central...a HUGE area....Right now things are a bit more calm in L.A, but for this clown to think the worst parts of Stockholm are anything close to Compton's hoods when things get hot, then he/she is simply fantasizing. Statistics show that crime ebbs and flows, and hopefully things stay calm, we were the worst in the country in the early 90's, now we aren't even in the top 10. Things change. THere is no easy measuring stick for this.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 AM

1,516 posts, read 3,179,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Lexo View Post
The OP on this is something I see a lot of on the internet, which is Swedish kids wanting Americans to know how hard their hoods are. Compton is big and has good and bad parts, just like South Central...a HUGE area....Right now things are a bit more calm in L.A, but for this clown to think the worst parts of Stockholm are anything close to Compton's hoods when things get hot, then he/she is simply fantasizing. Statistics show that crime ebbs and flows, and hopefully things stay calm, we were the worst in the country in the early 90's, now we aren't even in the top 10. Things change. THere is no easy measuring stick for this.
These while "Ghettos" are chosen by the way they look..

Swedens ghettos may not be as bad as Compton, but they certainly look more ghetto..

Heck Compton doesn't even look rundown

Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
These while "Ghettos" are chosen by the way they look..

Swedens ghettos may not be as bad as Compton, but they certainly look more ghetto..

Heck Compton doesn't even look rundown
Well if it has to be old and decaying stone or brick buildings, then LA has no Ghetto and neither does Phoenix, or Albuquerque, or San Diego. Or Miami for that matter.

That's just a silly premise. Sweden has little to no gun violence. It's a joke to even compare the two.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:14 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,726,542 times
Quote:
Well if it has to be old and decaying stone or brick buildings, then LA has no Ghetto and neither does Phoenix, or Albuquerque, or San Diego. Or Miami for that matter. That's just a silly premise. Sweden has little to no gun violence. It's a joke to even compare the two.
And also silly to assume that Compton has any more than Sweden now days. The past has passed.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
And also silly to assume that Compton has any more than Sweden now days. The past has passed.
I have family in Sweden (though not Swedish themselves) and trust, its not anywhere near any of the worst parts of the States.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,495,053 times
Quote:
I have family in Sweden (though not Swedish themselves) and trust, its not anywhere near any of the worst parts of the States.
Unless you throw in the lutfisk. Scary stuff.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,706,202 times
Quote:
The OP on this is something I see a lot of on the internet, which is Swedish kids wanting Americans to know how hard their hoods are.
Leave it to youth to argue about who has the most crime and the worst 'hoods.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,882 times
yea, from 1990-1996 was the craziest. from there everything slowly got better. Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of thugs there and they come out at night.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 PM

355 posts, read 1,062,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I know, we drove through there about a year ago and I did not understand all the hype. If CA residents consider Compton a "ghetto" they have obviously not witnessed the true oppression of ghettos in St. Louis, Gary, Detroit, Chicago, Houston etc.
Being a midwesterner and being used to Chicago and Detroits thugs and stories of murder I found even the worst areas of Los Angeles nowhere near the filth of the midwest's vagrant areas. Not to mention ours are also plagued by horrible weather conditions and homeless people actually being found frozen to death.
Exactly...I'm from detroit, and the slums of Detroit make Compton look like Beverly Hills. lol but, this may have to do with appearance as well. Compton is still a part of Cali...and Cali has better landscaping and weather than the cold, harsh callous Detroit or other ghettos. one thing that Compton has over Detroit as far as violence goes is organized crime; the steady increase of gang affiliation there is not really prevelant in Detroit....there are some gangs in Detroit, but very few that are heavily connected and have a large network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles