U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,256,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It was my point in include areas that aren't that bad, people tend to generalize an entire area (Bronx, South Chicago, Newark) as being bad, but they actually can look (and be) pretty nice.

The last link of Newark I found on some "Top 10 scariest streetviews", maybe it didn't map correctly for you.
ok gotcha

not sure why the newark link didn't send me to one of its ghettos. here's a link to 21st street at avon avenue in irvington (literally right on the border with western newark), which is a good example of a decayed and dangerous street that has been overrun by gangs in that area. in many ways, irvington is the nyc metro area's equivalent to compton - it is an inner-ring suburb (only 12 miles west of downtown manhattan) that was once very desirable, middle-class, and overwhelmingly white but declined rapidly starting in the late '60s and accelerating in the '70s and '80s before reaching its nadir in the late '80s/early '90s. even with that decline, there are still a fair number of streets in town that are pleasant and tree-lined with respectable-looking homes (just like compton); it's just that the areas that got hit hard fell into complete disrepair and ended up looking much worse on the surface than compton's worst areas.

here's an intersection in western newark with a bombed-out building (which has since been razed) next to an "urban prairie".

across the hudson river in nyc, here's a typically bleak, industrial-looking street in the east new york section of brooklyn.

these photos are just the tip of the iceberg as far as east coast ghettos are concerned. but i also hear you on the fact that these cities/neighborhoods have their fair share of respectable streets mixed in with the slums, too. as with most urban areas, the reality is not as cut-and-dry as the media and outsiders would like to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 3,540,132 times
The real question is 'why do people have such fascination with the ghetto?' I'm actually pretty grossed out by the near-glorification of 'thug life' by those who don't have to live through it day-by-day, as if life was really like a rap video or some version of 'Boys in the Hood'. Does driving through the ghetto really make you that much harder? Try coming in the middle of the night wearing red in most gang infested parts of the LA area. By the end of the first hour, you'll **** your dockers.

Anyways, American ghettos aren't nearly as bad as Americans like to think it is. Like everything else in America, its hyperbolized. There's are real slums 150 miles south of here in Tijuana. More Southern Californians should take a trip there, and see what it looks like in person.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 PM

336 posts, read 785,536 times
I think I saw a Hummer in one of those shots. Hmmm, I can't afford a Hummer - and I live in a nice normal neighborhood. Thats what I am doing wrong.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM

16 posts, read 31,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
nmnita- Did your not see in the L.A. times this week that Los Angeles is at a 50 year crime low????

The LA Times, the mayor and the former police chief would like you to believe that, but this claim is based on manipulated statistics:

Los Angeles News - Bratton: L.A. Is as Safe as 1956 - page 1

Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 PM

805 posts, read 1,474,535 times
I was surprised too when I moved here. Just goes to show how some things are just a bit exaggerated here in LA.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,998 times
It is a ghetto but just not what you expect. The media is just making i't look bad.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 AM

4,760 posts, read 4,720,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
I was visiting LA a couple of months back..
All my life I've been hearing about "the worst ghetto in the US" called Compton in south central LA. I went there to check it out. I drived through alot of streets including the whole Compton Avenue and I just gotta ask if Compton has looked like this all the time or it has just gotten alot better over the last few years?

I mean, we have tons of hoods in SWEDEN (EU) that is far worse than Compton and the whole South Central, and many of them we don't even call ghettos.
Why don't you go to Compton at 10:00 pm and REALLY tune in for a thrill?

You'll never compare Compton to Europe ever again. And honestly, the hoods of Sweden? Give me a break. Take a trip to the hoods of Poland first before even trying to talk about Sweden.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:09 PM

314 posts, read 287,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Why don't you go to Compton at 10:00 pm and REALLY tune in for a thrill?

You'll never compare Compton to Europe ever again. And honestly, the hoods of Sweden? Give me a break. Take a trip to the hoods of Poland first before even trying to talk about Sweden.
You saw that I wrote Sweden in capital letters? Yea!
And Sweden does have ALOT, ALOT, ALOT worse hoods than Compton (in apperance), that's a fact.
I've been to Poland and it's pretty bad in some areas, worse than Sweden of course. In Russia you'll find some of the worst in Europe.

First of all you obviously don't know **** about what you're talking about,
and second of all I didn't came by to "tune in for a thrill". I was strictly looking at how the buildings and the people looked like.

Here's a pic of a housing project located in the south of Sweden:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3455/malmo.jpg

Some various housing projects around the country:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16KnE...eature=related

It's nothing compared to Belgrade, Moscow, Sofia, Kiev etc.

Cheers

Last edited by stolpioni; 01-12-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,725,368 times
Quote:
I was visiting LA a couple of months back..
All my life I've been hearing about "the worst ghetto in the US" called Compton in south central LA. I went there to check it out. I drived through alot of streets including the whole Compton Avenue and I just gotta ask if Compton has looked like this all the time or it has just gotten alot better over the last few years?

I mean, we have tons of hoods in SWEDEN (EU) that is far worse than Compton and the whole South Central, and many of them we don't even call ghettos.

I said the same thing myself! I'm from the east and "ghettos" are old neighborhoods that are run down with empty boarded up homes and buildings that eventually turn into houses that are used to shoot up dope, fight dogs or hide weapons.

When I moved to Ca, I eventually made my way to see Watts, CPT and other parts, but was taken back, because, with the palm trees and 24/7 sun shine it was not as bad as the east coast; as far as real estate is concerned. However, overtime I learned that the streets in LA acquired the reputation for a reason! If you are at the wrong place at the wrong time you can loose your life.

On a side note, what I'm upset about is how young kids in other parts of the world (e.g. Belize, NYC, Europe) wish to imitate the various gangs that started in LA.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 PM

4,760 posts, read 4,720,318 times
Quote:
You saw that I wrote Sweden in capital letters? Yea!
And Sweden does have ALOT, ALOT, ALOT worse hoods than Compton (in apperance), that's a fact.
I've been to Poland and it's pretty bad in some areas, worse than Sweden of course. In Russia you'll find some of the worst in Europe.

First of all you obviously don't know **** about what you're talking about,
and second of all I didn't came by to "tune in for a thrill". I was strictly looking at how the buildings and the people looked like.

Here's a pic of a housing project located in the south of Sweden:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3455/malmo.jpg

Some various housing projects around the country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16KnE...eature=related

It's nothing compared to Belgrade, Moscow, Sofia, Kiev etc.

Cheers
Oh wow. Those apartments are really "ghetto".
You said I don't know what I'm talking but look at you. Those pictures don't even back up what you said! Trust me honey, there's a little city up in the mid west of the U.S. called "Detroit". Visit there, and then come back and try to tell me about "Ghetto". You have a horrible temper by the way. What's up with that? I thought people from Sweden were like the nicest Europeans or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles